Vpay "Virtual Payments" to providers waste time & $$

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Therapist4Chnge

Neuropsych Ninja
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yet another thing they don't teach in school are these "virtual payments" that are offered by 3rd party companies as a "convenience" but really are just another way to delay and/or decrease total compensation to providers. Companies such as VPay (www.vpayusa.com) get contracted by insurance providers to offer alternative ways to pay (read: screw) providers. They pitch it as a faster and more secure way to do business, but really it is just another way for providers to get squeezed by processing fees and even lose out on money they earned because the cards expire, get lost, providers don't know they have $ still out there, etc.

Instead of receiving a paper check or ACH payment, you get sent paperwork w. a CC number printed on it. You input that # into your credit card processing to get paid. Of course, you are paying the 2.5%-4% processing fee, which goes back to the parent company of VPay.....VISA; so they double dip getting paid by the insurance company and then again by the provider. Some argue that VISA created this as another way to skim the processing fee FROM EVERY DOLLAR you bill through the applicable insurance company. There are expiration dates and other fees that could also apply, so if you don't process the payment, it could expire like a gift card. The other fees are difficult to track down bc VISA and VPay have flooded the internet w. fluff pieces and pay-for-play articles talking about all of the "advantages" of this approach....when really it is just another way to squeeze you for money.

These "convenience" programs have been around for years and too many providers get suckered into them and needlessly giving away $. I recently received some payments via this method and just to access MY OWN MONEY...it would cost me $150-$200 for that convenience. Thanks but no thanks VPay.

To opt out of VPay you need to listen to their pitch as to why VPay is preferred by providers (it isn't). The rep I spoke to said he knew of 5 open cases of fraud....but much like claims of voter fraud, the total # of cases (aka all processed payments) are well into the 7-9 figures...so the overall % is TINY, but "fraud" is one of their biggest reasons they cite for offering the "program". Now i have to wait weeks for my payments to be "re-processed", printed, and mailed....after already waiting 3-4wks for the original processing, another week for printing, and another week for mailing. Every provider can do what they want, but it's important to know the cost of doing business w. these virtual payments.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hasn't come up for me yet, but I only accept a handful of payors, and clinical work is only about half of what I'm currently doing.
Consider yourself lucky. I ran into this years ago w. commercial insurances, but this is the first time I've seen them since...now w. a workers comp payor. Workers Comp...the gift that keeps on giving...

Members don't see this ad :)
Had that happen. Just reported them to the state insurance department.

Also learned about "zero balance accounts". It's a check you can't cash, only deposit.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Consider yourself lucky. I ran into this years ago w. commercial insurances, but this is the first time I've seen them since...now w. a workers comp payor. Workers Comp...the gift that keeps on giving...

I only take WC through a middle man company. I bill that company, never had a problem getting the full rate that I get for general IMEs.

Had that happen. Just reported them to the state insurance department.

Also learned about "zero balance accounts". It's a check you can't cash, only deposit.
What do I report to the state insurance dept though? They said that I'm not technically enrolled until I cash the first one, but the fact I need to wasting time to call, opt-out, and then wait weeks for reissuing the payment seems....questionable.

What do I report to the state insurance dept though? They said that I'm not technically enrolled until I cash the first one, but the fact I need to wasting time to call, opt-out, and then wait weeks for reissuing the payment seems....questionable.

CMS says that these virtual cards are not standard forms of payment. HIPAA requires standard forms of payment. So.......

Reactions: 1 users
Well this is an entirely new form of ridiculous I wasn't aware existed. Do you think BCBS will let me pay my premiums in the form of Home Depot gift cards rather than payroll deduction? Or is this a one way street for them?

I can seriously think of zero benefits this would offer over transfer into a traditional business banking account.

Reactions: 3 users
Well this is an entirely new form of ridiculous I wasn't aware existed. Do you think BCBS will let me pay my premiums in the form of Home Depot gift cards rather than payroll deduction? Or is this a one way street for them?

I can seriously think of zero benefits this would offer over transfer into a traditional business banking account.
There aren't any real benefits to the PROVIDER (who is being paid). They force* the credit card processing fee on you, the cards expire, and often there are problems trying to opt-out.

*Technically they cannot require you to take it, that is in the tiny print. They add a bunch of hoops (and more wasted time) to try and get paid via check. You need to read carefully because the fees add up quickly.

Just Google VPay or QuicRemit...and there are dozens and dozens of complaints from providers, billing supervisors, etc about shady practices by these companies. I just received another handful of forced virtual card payments from QuicRemit for $5k....so now I need to call to opt-out, then it will likely be weeks until I receive the follow-up payment....which I have to track because they refuse to make anything easy. They try and frame it as "helpful"....to receive "accelerated payments".....but it will cost you dearly. If I took that option for these recent payments....$125 in fees. For one patient's assessment and treatment. What a scam business model.