VSAS 2017 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MelMcT2009

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I see a bunch of VSAS questions going around and thought it may be beneficical to start a thread so that all of the answers can be in one spot. I'm sure a lot of us have the same questions.

Here's a question I have: a lot of places say they wont start processing apps until June 1st, or "6 weeks before start of rotation date". Do the programs hold to those dates? Seems like it would be difficult to make alternative plans with that short of notice.

Members don't see this ad.

I see a bunch of VSAS questions going around and thought it may be beneficical to start a thread so that all of the answers can be in one spot. I'm sure a lot of us have the same questions.

Here's a question I have: a lot of places say they wont start processing apps until June 1st, or "6 weeks before start of rotation date". Do the programs hold to those dates? Seems like it would be difficult to make alternative plans with that short of notice.

In short, no. I've gotten a reply from at least one school that doesn't even process applications until May. All this is through VSAS.

Reactions: 1 user
No, have a rotation later on that accepted way before "processing time", and heard from another place that they're gonna start looking sooner as well. Those dates are the school wide dates, which probably vary from department to department.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got emails today letting me know that one of the programs I applied to was already full for July and August. VSAS said they would process apps on April 15th.

My question: Do I send an email saying thanks for your consideration?

I got emails today letting me know that one of the programs I applied to was already full for July and August. VSAS said they would process apps on April 15th.

My question: Do I send an email saying thanks for your consideration?

I don't think its necessary (these are usually automated responses from VSAS), but being polite can never hurt!

How do you set up an away through VSAS when a program isn't accepting applications yet?

How do you set up an away through VSAS when a program isn't accepting applications yet?

You can't (unless they do paper applications). Just have all of the documents ready and uploaded now. Click "subscribe" to get an email notification as soon as they start accepting apps. Once you get the email then you're able to apply.

You can't (unless they do paper applications). Just have all of the documents ready and uploaded now. Click "subscribe" to get an email notification as soon as they start accepting apps. Once you get the email then you're able to apply.

Thanks! Does anybody know if Georgetown is taking applications outside of VSAS? The language on their visiting student site is pretty unequivocal that they're not accepting applications until later this month, but there seems to be a kind of shadow world for away rotations.

Highly recommend sending emails to some clerkship coordinators ahead of VSAS opening to express interest. The programs I expressed interest to gave me a position during the month I wanted, the ones I didn't email didn't offer me anything.

Reactions: 2 users
Highly recommend sending emails to some clerkship coordinators ahead of VSAS opening to express interest. The programs I expressed interest to gave me a position during the month I wanted, the ones I didn't email didn't offer me anything.
which places have already accepted you if you don't mind me asking? Thanks!

which places have already accepted you if you don't mind me asking? Thanks!

I did my aways last year. It's a fairly unique set of aways, or so I am told, so if you want to know where PM me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure if anyone here will know this, but here's another question. I know a lot of places give rotations on a first come first serve basis. If we submit our app right when a program opens, but your school takes several days to release it, do the programs look at the date you had it done, or the day your school released it.

Last edited:
Not sure if anyone here will know this, but here's another question. I know a lot of places five rotations on a first come first serve basis. If we submit our app right when a program opens, but your school takes several days to release it, do the programs look at the date you had it done, or the day your school released it.
I would assume the day they received it.

Not sure if anyone here will know this, but here's another question. I know a lot of places give rotations on a first come first serve basis. If we submit our app right when a program opens, but your school takes several days to release it, do the programs look at the date you had it done, or the day your school released it.

Yeah it sucks but it's when your school sends it.

Reactions: 1 users
Ask your school to verify your apps faster because it's in their best interest to help you match well.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
UNC just extended an offer to me. Contacted Highland and they are booked from July 27th - August 31st.

UNC just extended an offer to me. Contacted Highland and they are booked from July 27th - August 31st.

Just curious which campus did you apply to Chapel Hill? I applied to Wilmington and Asheville and so far haven't heard back not sure if sending an email/letter of intent would help?

Just curious which campus did you apply to Chapel Hill? I applied to Wilmington and Asheville and so far haven't heard back not sure if sending an email/letter of intent would help?

Sorry I didn't specify! I applied to Chapel Hill.

does late sept to mid oct vs. late aug to late sept make a difference if its the second SLOE? seems like most block 3 rotations are full everywhere..

Ideally we'd have 2 SLOEs ready by October 1st so yes the earlier the better. But I agree, it somehow feels like every July + August spot got filled immediately.

"Pending Host Institution Review"

The bane of my existence right now...

"Pending Host Institution Review"

The bane of my existence right now...
It might take a while, I'm still pending host review at three places from last year.

It seems like they are overloaded with apps at this point.

Reactions: 4 users
It might take a while, I'm still pending host review at three places from last year.

It seems like they are overloaded with apps at this point.

Should we email to follow up? Don't mind waiting, but I'll need to apply for something else if it doesn't go through (this isn't for EM rotation, just some electives I'm needing).

Got an invite this week to my #1! This is obviously n=1, and some rotations explicitly say not to email or call, but I emailed the program coordinator, who said it could take a couple of months, and then 2 days later I got the invite! I'm elated right now. I only want to do one away so it's a real load off to know I'll have those 2 SLOEs.

Got an invite this week to my #1! This is obviously n=1, and some rotations explicitly say not to email or call, but I emailed the program coordinator, who said it could take a couple of months, and then 2 days later I got the invite! I'm elated right now. I only want to do one away so it's a real load off to know I'll have those 2 SLOEs.

Which region? If you don't mind.

Got denied from 3 different programs today.

High five.

Got denied from 3 different programs today.

High five.

Denied from my number 1 preferred program today, so that blows. Is it reasonable to gauge my competitiveness for EM (or even a specific program) on how many invites I get for away rotations? Especially if I applied broadly enough (i.e., not only the most/least competitive programs out there)?

Denied from my number 1 preferred program today, so that blows. Is it reasonable to gauge my competitiveness for EM (or even a specific program) on how many invites I get for away rotations? Especially if I applied broadly enough (i.e., not only the most/least competitive programs out there)?

Since I'm going through the same process also - I have no idea. I kinda already know I'm not a particularly competitive applicant - been brute forcing it with application quantity so far (yes, I am THAT guy). I only need one more confirmed SLOE rotation (August) so I'm sitting on 20+ apps for that one month... Surely one of them will work out.

Since I'm going through the same process also - I have no idea. I kinda already know I'm not a particularly competitive applicant - been brute forcing it with application quantity so far (yes, I am THAT guy). I only need one more confirmed SLOE rotation (August) so I'm sitting on 20+ apps for that one month... Surely one of them will work out.

You're not alone in this one. I'm pretty sure the general strategy for those of us with step 1 under 270 was brute force application numbers. I'm hoping those with the 270+ will decline all the rotations their holding onto...you know, "Trickle Down VSAS"

That was me last week.... Have you been able to schedule any yet?

Yeah, I've got July + September locked down. (September is a DO program rotation, so I doubt that SLOE is worth much to ACGME programs) Just need August to be finalized.

I guess it was more of a general question to see what everyone thinks.

Anyone else have the experience of being offered a spot via email, but not on VSAS? I'm a little paranoid about dropping the rest of my applications until VSAS comes through.

Anyone else have the experience of being offered a spot via email, but not on VSAS? I'm a little paranoid about dropping the rest of my applications until VSAS comes through.

Yup and it's killing me!

Anyone heard anything from Medical College of Wisconsin? They said decisions were going to start last week, so I'm waiting on baited breath over here.

Uhhh... Is this good? What does this mean?

Did the status change from Pending Host Institution Review to that? I've been under review at Northwestern since my school released my application. Practically, I'm not convinced it means anything different from Pending Host Institution Review.

Anyone heard anything from Medical College of Wisconsin? They said decisions were going to start last week, so I'm waiting on baited breath over here.
I haven't heard anything either....I'm really hoping to rotate with them during September. Do you think they really take 20 students per month like it says on VSAS?

I haven't heard anything either....I'm really hoping to rotate with them during September. Do you think they really take 20 students per month like it says on VSAS?

Glad to hear I'm not alone. I will note that I was an initial reject last Wednesday due to clerical errors on my school's behalf (don't even get me started on that one...) but with some quick calls I am safely back under "pending host institution review." So they're at least looking at apps. The MCW lady I spoke with said they were just in the process of making initial decisions/sending apps to appropriate departments and that they weren't full yet, which makes me think they maybe were just doing the initial clerical screening last week. This is all just stipulation though.

As for the 20 students, I was sort of under the impression that it would be 20 students for the 2017-2018 rotation cycle as a whole, not per month. I think Froedtert is pretty high volume, but not high enough to support 20 students per month! I could certainly be wrong, but that does seem like quite a few students to be rotating at one time- all likely planning to request SLOEs. If it *is* in fact 20 students per month... well I don't see anyone getting rejected haha.

Did the status change from Pending Host Institution Review to that? I've been under review at Northwestern since my school released my application. Practically, I'm not convinced it means anything different from Pending Host Institution Review.
My n=1 with the offers I've received (this current cycle, I'm a DO student): I had two schools put my app into "under host institution review" soon after they received my app. One of those programs didn't start processing apps until a month after their submission date. I ended up withdrawing my apps to both programs as I received the three rotations I wanted. I used up 19 VSAS tokens on applying for rotations. All ACGME programs. Applied mainly to Midwest, one or two east coast, one or two southern. Received offers without the VSAS app ever going into the under host institution review status. All were pending when I got offers. I also withdrew apps as I accepted offers for a certain block.

Someone mentioned this maybe being an indicator for residency competitiveness. I would have to say no. I'm a student too, but all they have access to is our CV, transcripts, and part 1 board scores. EM is about part 2 boards and the SLOEs. Hard to be competitive as a third year applying to aways.

PM me with more specific questions.

I've posted on the forum before about my frustration with the VSAS system. Last year I sent out about 20 applications in an attempt to get an away rotation in August and September, I ended up only getting one in September. I spent from this time last year until October (and even up to match day, frankly) questioning my competitiveness. Don't do that. Even though I had such a hard time securing an away rotation last year I was received plenty of interview invites and matched at a top tier program. I do believe my SLOEs did end up raising my competitiveness from average to above-average, so once you are able to secure an away work hard and impress. October is great time for doing a second away if you can muster a third month of the fake grin and being overbearingly interested in everything. The SLOE won't be all that important but it can unlock a geographic region or a city that is hard to break into (Chicago, Philadelphia, etc.).

At this year's national CORD meeting they made it very clear that two SLOEs is enough. No need for a third or fourth, unless you really need to make up for something.

Yeah I guess my picture wasn't very clear. Those are all from the same program... They denied my choices 1, 2, 4 - but left my choice #3 as under host institution review. I guess thats good? I figured if there were gonna accept one they would let me know before they deny everything else... Just seemed weird to me that they would deny a bunch but leave one as under review without accepting or denying it. I'm probably over-analyzing it.

Im also waiting on MCW. I'll echo @runthiscity that 20 students is most likely the number they'll be able to accommodate for the 17-18 cycle. Hope we hear from them this week :nailbiting:

I've posted on the forum before about my frustration with the VSAS system. Last year I sent out about 20 applications in an attempt to get an away rotation in August and September, I ended up only getting one in September. I spent from this time last year until October (and even up to match day, frankly) questioning my competitiveness. Don't do that. Even though I had such a hard time securing an away rotation last year I was received plenty of interview invites and matched at a top tier program. I do believe my SLOEs did end up raising my competitiveness from average to above-average, so once you are able to secure an away work hard and impress. October is great time for doing a second away if you can muster a third month of the fake grin and being overbearingly interested in everything. The SLOE won't be all that important but it can unlock a geographic region or a city that is hard to break into (Chicago, Philadelphia, etc.).

At this year's national CORD meeting they made it very clear that two SLOEs is enough. No need for a third or fourth, unless you really need to make up for something.
Like being a DO...