VSAS for IM subspecialties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Espressso

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If it doesn't actually say "sub-internship" or "acting-internship" in the title, is it still a sub-i if you do a rotation in say, infectious disease through vsas? I assumed they all were sub-I's during the july-december time period but I'm seeing on vsas that a lot are not titled that.

Members don't see this ad.

If it doesn't actually say "sub-internship" or "acting-internship" in the title, is it still a sub-i if you do a rotation in say, infectious disease through vsas? I assumed they all were sub-I's during the july-december time period but I'm seeing on vsas that a lot are not titled that.
So a sub-i or a-i is only thru your 'home' program officially, however most aways where considered AI by my attendings while I was there. However, on VSAS it will just say internal med away etc.

So a sub-i or a-i is only thru your 'home' program officially, however most aways where considered AI by my attendings while I was there. However, on VSAS it will just say internal med away etc.

Ah, I see. Thank you. My school doesn't really have a "home" IM program. So that's out. So the vsas sub-i rotations listed are really only for students from their own school. That makes sense. The latter part was important, so assuming I do a 4 week ID rotation at a hospital that I'm really interested in their IM program, it would technically count as AI and I could theoretically get a letter and hopefully get an in with that program. Cool. I think it's easier to schedule directly with these non-vsas programs the more I think about.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah, I see. Thank you. My school doesn't really have a "home" IM program. So that's out. So the vsas sub-i rotations listed are really only for students from their own school. That makes sense. The latter part was important, so assuming I do a 4 week ID rotation at a hospital that I'm really interested in their IM program, it would technically count as AI and I could theoretically get a letter and hopefully get an in with that program. Cool. I think it's easier to schedule directly with these non-vsas programs the more I think about.
You can still apply to a sub i, but ehen its approved they will likely change the name.

Reactions: 1 user