VSAS offer: elective ends mid November

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ToKingdomCome

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I take it, would this interfere with interview season significantly?

When do most people go on interviews for gas?

Members don't see this ad.

I feel like we are just recovering from the last wave... if memory serves we start our interview season in mid to late-October, although we don't really get into full swing until November. We interview all the way through February with a break around Christmas/New Years.

If you are asking if you might miss a couple interviews being on an away rotation, I would say so. And assuming your next question is the feasibility of getting time off for interviews, it would look fairly suspect to take a few days off to travel to interview at other programs - most will let you interview for that particular program while you are there, though. It isn't the worst idea to do an away rotation that late (some programs probably don't start until November), but it's definitely not the best idea.

I feel like we are just recovering from the last wave... if memory serves we start our interview season in mid to late-October, although we don't really get into full swing until November. We interview all the way through February with a break around Christmas/New Years.

If you are asking if you might miss a couple interviews being on an away rotation, I would say so. And assuming your next question is the feasibility of getting time off for interviews, it would look fairly suspect to take a few days off to travel to interview at other programs - most will let you interview for that particular program while you are there, though. It isn't the worst idea to do an away rotation that late (some programs probably don't start until November), but it's definitely not the best idea.

Hmm, I see. I'm quite torn as to what I should do. The ASA conference is also during that time. The institution does give a couple of excused days off but obviously not as much as I would like. Any advice on what to do?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been meaning to ask about this. Is this worth going to as a 4th year? I definitely won't be able to gin up any research projects unless I can figure something out at one of my aways.

The residency fair was kind of good. I went last year in Chicago. That's probably the only reason why I'd wanna go if I'm not presenting