VTNE Study Resources

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Coquette22

Shinigami
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hear you say, "But Coquette you're a doctor why do you care about studying for the VTNE?"

Career change.

(KIDDING)

My clinic has an awesome receptionist/assistant who went to school to be a tech but unfortunately didn't do her homework and picked a crappy program. She's failed the VTNE twice. Our province is pretty strict on what techs can do versus assistants and you have to pass the VTNE to be an RVT and do those things. She's smart and I know she can pass with some guidance to fill in the gaps but I don't know where to start with her. Budget is an issue too unfortunately. Anyone know of any cheap/free study guides that I can point her to?

Members don't see this ad.

I hear you say, "But Coquette you're a doctor why do you care about studying for the VTNE?"

Career change.

(KIDDING)

My clinic has an awesome receptionist/assistant who went to school to be a tech but unfortunately didn't do her homework and picked a crappy program. She's failed the VTNE twice. Our province is pretty strict on what techs can do versus assistants and you have to pass the VTNE to be an RVT and do those things. She's smart and I know she can pass with some guidance to fill in the gaps but I don't know where to start with her. Budget is an issue too unfortunately. Anyone know of any cheap/free study guides that I can point her to?
I took the VTNE without going through a tech program, and I rented this textbook Amazon product and spent a couple months going through it completely. It is super affordable to rent and just gives a really good overview of a lot of the stuff that was on the test. I also used this book Amazon product which is even cheaper to rent and I found very helpful. I think I did use zuku a little bit, but I used those two way more. Feel free to pm me if you or she have any more questions, I'd be happy to help. Also, sorry for the clunky links, no clue how everybody gets the nice little ones on here...

Reactions: 1 user
I think zuku does a qotd for techs too for free like they do navle. Our tech grads are currently using study books with quizzes (though some of the questions are quite wrong)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I took the VTNE without going through a tech program, and I rented this textbook Amazon product and spent a couple months going through it completely. It is super affordable to rent and just gives a really good overview of a lot of the stuff that was on the test. I also used this book Amazon product which is even cheaper to rent and I found very helpful. I think I did use zuku a little bit, but I used those two way more. Feel free to pm me if you or she have any more questions, I'd be happy to help. Also, sorry for the clunky links, no clue how everybody gets the nice little ones on here...

I can't see the amazon links correctly - not that I need to - but you may need to post again as a plain link for it to show up.

I can't see the amazon links correctly - not that I need to - but you may need to post again as a plain link for it to show up.
Dang it, I tried a plain link when I edited and it still did that. Thanks for letting me know! I'll just post the names of the books, they can be rented any number of places. The first one is McCurnin's Clinical Textbook for Veterinary Technicians and the second is Review Questions and Answers for Veterinary Technicians.

Thanks guys! She's such a sweetie and I know she'll be good as a tech. She's stuck on reception right now and she hates it, but her confidence is just shot and it breaks my heart.

Thanks guys! She's such a sweetie and I know she'll be good as a tech. She's stuck on reception right now and she hates it, but her confidence is just shot and it breaks my heart.
That's sure too bad, what a bummer deal for her! If there is anything else I can do to help, please let me know, I'd be more than happy to.

My tech that just passed yesterday said she did vet tech prep (probably like vet prep) and she said it was so worth it, that the resources, questions and tests helped her tremendously and that there were questions on her test that were identical to the ones on the program. She said she'd strongly recommend it and that it was so worth the money spent.

My tech that just passed yesterday said she did vet tech prep (probably like vet prep) and she said it was so worth it, that the resources, questions and tests helped her tremendously and that there were questions on her test that were identical to the ones on the program. She said she'd strongly recommend it and that it was so worth the money spent.

I'll mention it to her for when the test is closer (she hasn't booked yet due to lack of funds). The exchange rate makes VetPrep a bit more expensive for Canadians but she might be able to swing the 45 day subscription.

I'll mention it to her for when the test is closer (she hasn't booked yet due to lack of funds). The exchange rate makes VetPrep a bit more expensive for Canadians but she might be able to swing the 45 day subscription.
I think the 45 days is what my tech did and she said it was so worth it and would absolutely do it all over again.