"W" from a course I already received credits for

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iamfoolish

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a first year college student and a bit unsure of how the system works. In the fall semester I completed bio 1, which I received a B in. Okay well, I was late on registering for classes for this spring semester which resulted in a majority of my intended courses being full. Bear with me guys, it gets hazy here so just bear with me. I ended up re-registering for the same exact course (BSC 1010) in hopes that I would bring it up to an A. Its not looking that way anymore. In fact, it looks like I'm aiming for a C at this point due to me being ill the first two weeks of school (hospitalized with the flu). My bio professor can't seem to understand where I'm coming from. She gave me F's on all my weekly assignments/quizzes and deducted participation points from the days that I missed even though they are excused absences. I tried to plead with her during her office hours this morning but to no success. This woman is ice cold and told me that she would fail me if I missed one more class. These are currently the terms that I'm standing on with this course and it's only week 5. So my question is, how do I explain a W in a potential interview if I withdrawal from a course that I have already completed because I wouldn't blame them for being confused. Tough luck I guess.

right now my GPA is 3.33 and cumm. is 3.67

Members don't see this ad.

Why does 2 weeks of missed classes doom you to a C? You have an entire semester to get high scores in a class you've already taken.

Sounds to me like you need to get your crap together and get an A.

A little bout of illness is no excuse, especially when you specifically retook a class you already received an acceptable grade in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude, I would never retake a B! :slap:

At this point, is it possible for you to pull an A in this course if you ace everything from here on out? Do the math. More importantly, do you think you can ace everything from here on out? :shrug: You know your abilities better than anyone else!

I am a first year college student and a bit unsure of how the system works. In the fall semester I completed bio 1, which I received a B in. Okay well, I was late on registering for classes for this spring semester which resulted in a majority of my intended courses being full. Bear with me guys, it gets hazy here so just bear with me. I ended up re-registering for the same exact course (BSC 1010) in hopes that I would bring it up to an A. Its not looking that way anymore. In fact, it looks like I'm aiming for a C at this point due to me being ill the first two weeks of school (hospitalized with the flu). My bio professor can't seem to understand where I'm coming from. She gave me F's on all my weekly assignments/quizzes and deducted participation points from the days that I missed even though they are excused absences. I tried to plead with her during her office hours this morning but to no success. This woman is ice cold and told me that she would fail me if I missed one more class. These are currently the terms that I'm standing on with this course and it's only week 5. So my question is, how do I explain a W in a potential interview if I withdrawal from a course that I have already completed because I wouldn't blame them for being confused. Tough luck I guess.

right now my GPA is 3.33 and cumm. is 3.67

So... you are retaking a course you got a B in, hoping you'll get an A, but all you can aim for is a C? So much for an effective bargain... This is a good example as to never retake a course where you got a C+ or higher. Unfortunately, you're at a disadvantage. The purpose of a retake is to do well on the 2nd try (i.e. get an A). It sounds like you're going to get a C or a W, which is essentially retroactive. Just withdraw and take another course, but you're probably in a pickle when you have to explain yourself.