W or F

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eckenhoffe

Reaction score
Hello! I am a prospective veterinary student and I am not doing well in a class. Every other class I have an A in this semester. The dilemma I am in is if I should withdraw or take the F in the class. It’s organic chem 1 and I do need that class but I don’t want to have my GPA tank. What would look better since I have to retake the class either way. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

A withdrawal would be better since the F would affect your GPA.

edit: GPA = G P A (April fools)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Taking a W is better than taking an F for sure

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! I am a prospective veterinary student and I am not doing well in a class. Every other class I have an A in this semester. The dilemma I am in is if I should withdraw or take the F in the class. It’s organic chem 1 and I do need that class but I don’t want to have my GPA tank. What would look better since I have to retake the class either way. Thanks in advance!
I've been in your position. I took the W -- twice for Orgo 1! It didn't matter to the schools that I interviewed with. But taking an F and lowering the GPA -- that's trickier to bounce back from.

I would consider taking the W. I personally had 2 W's on my transcript and was accepted this cycle. Something that may also be helpful is possibly talking to the professor about continuing to audit the course after withdrawing, that way you can still practice the material and be better prepared the next time you take the course.

Definitely a W, and start to formulate a plan for how to explain/recover from it. It won’t affect your GPA, so that’s the main benefit, but if you have a good reason for it (family or personal death/illness, COVID learning difficulties, something similar) this would be a good thing to address in your explanation statement.

Reactions: 1 user
I had a few W's on my transcript. I think an F would look much worse and really affect your GPA.