W or F

Started by eckenhoffe
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

eckenhoffe

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello! I am a prospective veterinary student and I am not doing well in a class. Every other class I have an A in this semester. The dilemma I am in is if I should withdraw or take the F in the class. It’s organic chem 1 and I do need that class but I don’t want to have my GPA tank. What would look better since I have to retake the class either way. Thanks in advance!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello! I am a prospective veterinary student and I am not doing well in a class. Every other class I have an A in this semester. The dilemma I am in is if I should withdraw or take the F in the class. It’s organic chem 1 and I do need that class but I don’t want to have my GPA tank. What would look better since I have to retake the class either way. Thanks in advance!
I've been in your position. I took the W -- twice for Orgo 1! It didn't matter to the schools that I interviewed with. But taking an F and lowering the GPA -- that's trickier to bounce back from.
 
Definitely a W, and start to formulate a plan for how to explain/recover from it. It won’t affect your GPA, so that’s the main benefit, but if you have a good reason for it (family or personal death/illness, COVID learning difficulties, something similar) this would be a good thing to address in your explanation statement.