• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

chrissystar

10+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2006
Canada
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Optometry
any1 tired of waiting?

i submitted all my apps around december.. and wrote the OAT late jan. maybe im just really eager...

it is only feb!

anyone in the same boat? n waiting to hear for an interview?

asm

10+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2006
Status (Visible)
ahh, u should definitely called...

i kept waiting for SUNY and i called and be like is my application complete, is there anything else that needs to be handed in?

they checked and they go ill let the admission committee review it...and within a week they told me that they wont invite me for an interview...
so even though it was bad news, im happy i knew instead of waiting...

good luck to you~~

chrissystar

10+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2006
Canada
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Optometry
do u mind sharing your stats? i did well on the OAT, but i dont have a very high gpa... so im worried. :(

About the Ads

JeffChou

Your mom goes to college
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Optometrist
I am not thrilled at waiting either. I submitted my apps in Nov. and took the OAT at the end of Dec. I finally heard back from SUNY ("early grades too low") a few weeks ago but am still waiting to hear back from ICO and NECO. In my correspondence with Dr. Denial, she told me that although there were some good points in my application, she knows that the admissions committee will be concerned with my first two years of college (she also asked if I had any comment about it). Nice to know that they'll at least consider my application with bad grades but who knows how much they can forgive. I suppose I could just take even more classes after I graduate.

Unfortunately, both ICO and NECO told me that my file will be reviewed again in March in the next review cycle.

I guess it would have paid off more to submit my applications at the beginning of the application period rather than the middle. To all applicants in the years to follow: apply early! you never know how long it will take for them to receive all your app. materials and when they get them, you can't count on getting a response any time soon. The sooner you submit everything, the higher your chances at getting a seat in the first round.

Guess I should start looking for a job in case things don't work out this round of applications. Anyone in need of WEIGHT LOSS PILLS THAT MAKE YOU DROP 50% OF YOUR WEIGHT IN JUST 5 DAYS? No? Then how about my secret CIA INTERNATIONAL SPY SECRETS & TECHNIQUES CD? Do I smell a group buy? :thumbup:

Best,
Jeff

jMoo

10+ Year Member
May 23, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
i have all of you beat. i applied in aug/sept and theres still some schools im waiting on. its a neverending wait i tell you :/ but keep your chin up :)

chrissystar

10+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2006
Canada
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Optometry
ahh, u should definitely called...

i kept waiting for SUNY and i called and be like is my application complete, is there anything else that needs to be handed in?

they checked and they go ill let the admission committee review it...and within a week they told me that they wont invite me for an interview...
so even though it was bad news, im happy i knew instead of waiting...

good luck to you~~

i just emailed Dr.Johnston. He said my first year grades were too low and the committee decided not to consider my application further without the results of this year's grades....

here's the problem tho... is that my last term's grades havent even arrived at SUNY yet!

any one have any suggestions? should i ask them to reconsider after they have seen my grades? my last year's grades were waaay better than first years...

SUNY was my first choice :(

pienfoo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Optometry Student
that's so messed up. so they just said "we can't take anyone with 1st yr grades that are low" without reading anything else?? refund : (

Oilersfan69

10+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Optometry
What were ur first year grades like? What is your pre-req GPA is u dont mind posting?

chrissystar

10+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2006
Canada
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Optometry
i had about a 70% average in first year....

but each year they've improved significantly...

my gpa 2nd and 3rd years were 3.3+

asm

10+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2006
Status (Visible)
hi chrissy, aren't you glad you called? at least now you know. be happy though! you still have so many other options...I wish schools would offer a free prescreening application based on grades and OAT scores alone so we can save the moneyyyy

chrissystar

10+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2006
Canada
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Optometry
hi chrissy, aren't you glad you called? at least now you know. be happy though! you still have so many other options...I wish schools would offer a free prescreening application based on grades and OAT scores alone so we can save the moneyyyy

it kinda ruined my whole day... SUNY was my #1 choice :(... and i wanted an interview... even to at least visit new york. :(

luckyfool

SUNY Opt
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2006
NYC
Status (Visible)
  1. Optometrist
with those stats you should at least get an interview. suny is probably almost filled up by now.

jMoo

10+ Year Member
May 23, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
dont feel bad...at least you got to speak with them. i called them last feb to ask when apps started and the admissions office told me aug when they actually started in may. i applied in july and they rejected me before my oat score was even sent. i like the prescreening idea. what a waste of money suny was.

asm

10+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2006
Status (Visible)
oh chrissy! be happpy!!! new york isn't as glorious as it seems to be...the cost of living is wicked high...and you'll probably be too busy during optometry school to enjoy the nyc life. You can always reapply or move there for your externship. keep your chin up!

pienfoo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Optometry Student
got my rejection letter from suny today. yay happy friday :thumbdown:

and PCO keeps sending random junk in big packets. that is sort of irritating cause' it gives me the wrong idea.

AHh.....

chrissystar

10+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2006
Canada
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Optometry
got my rejection letter from suny today. yay happy friday :thumbdown:

and PCO keeps sending random junk in big packets. that is sort of irritating cause' it gives me the wrong idea.

AHh.....

me too...

what kind of junk are they sending you? i second that! lol

pienfoo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Optometry Student
On wednesday they sent me an application packet, and on friday they sent me a catalog. (once again, in big nice envelopes) what's next. a big letter saying oh, we don't really want you. :idea:

chrissystar

10+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2006
Canada
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Optometry
wait.. you got that stuff... after you've had an interview?

i got all that like before i got an interview...

weird

ILeyesIL

10+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Optometry
I also got mail from PCO in big envelopes. The ironic part is that I got my acceptance letter in a standard sized one! So small is better, atleast for PCO!

pienfoo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Optometry Student
nope no interview (yet?) i sent in my apps late january. well... i hope i get an interview. that would be nice.

chrissystar

10+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2006
Canada
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Optometry
nope no interview (yet?) i sent in my apps late january. well... i hope i get an interview. that would be nice.

yeah i got all that information stuff... then soon after received an inviation for an interview...

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.