*wails*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nerdgrrl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know I shouldn't complain. Really I do. But I'm going to anyway.

I've been accepted to LECOM, Erie and Bradenton. I've chosen Erie between the two. But... I interviewed at Touro on Monday, and it's where I'd like to go. great! not so great: decisions don't come out until 12/16. Deposit is due at Erie 12/15, Bradenton 12/14. I'm not going to turn down a seat somewhere on the off chance that I actually get into Touro. But I don't have $1500 laying around to just throw away!

At Erie, Elaine from admissions pretty much said don't ask for an extension on the deposit. I emailed Dr. Haight from Touro, and he recommended asking for one, and that he almost always grants them, because they don't want anyone that doesn't want to be there.

Has anyone successfully gotten an extension on a deposit from either Erie or Bradenton?

Members don't see this ad.

ask for the extension.

kahoo99 said:
ask for the extension.

I'm planning on it. Just wondering if anyone's been successful.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why did you choose erie over bradenton?

nerdgrrl said:
I know I shouldn't complain. Really I do. But I'm going to anyway.

I've been accepted to LECOM, Erie and Bradenton. I've chosen Erie between the two. But... I interviewed at Touro on Monday, and it's where I'd like to go. great! not so great: decisions don't come out until 12/16. Deposit is due at Erie 12/15, Bradenton 12/14. I'm not going to turn down a seat somewhere on the off chance that I actually get into Touro. But I don't have $1500 laying around to just throw away!

At Erie, Elaine from admissions pretty much said don't ask for an extension on the deposit. I emailed Dr. Haight from Touro, and he recommended asking for one, and that he almost always grants them, because they don't want anyone that doesn't want to be there.

Has anyone successfully gotten an extension on a deposit from either Erie or Bradenton?

Date the check for the 16th and do a stop payment on it if you get accepted. Not very ethical, but it should save you some cash.

Dr_JAAAA said:
Why did you choose erie over bradenton?

no one big reason, but lots of little ones. I don't like summer, humidity, or the beach! I could buy a house in Erie, live by myself, etc. I'd be elibigle to apply for a NHSC scholarship at Erie. I'm hesitant about going to such a new school. and, I got PBL at Erie, so the curriculum would be relatively similar either way.

cosmo said:
Date the check for the 16th and do a stop payment on it if you get accepted. Not very ethical, but it should save you some cash.

I thought about that, but if it's dated for the 16th, are they going to accept it? and will I feel guilty for all eternity?

What would make you choose Touro over LECOM, in particular? Just curious. If you get into Touro, I'll see you there! :D

nerdgrrl said:
no one big reason, but lots of little ones. I don't like summer, humidity, or the beach! I could buy a house in Erie, live by myself, etc. I'd be elibigle to apply for a NHSC scholarship at Erie. I'm hesitant about going to such a new school. and, I got PBL at Erie, so the curriculum would be relatively similar either way.

If you don't like summer, why did you choose Touro? :laugh: I liked Touro too, but I was put on the waitlist!

Well, CCOM I know allows you to cancel your check within three business days, it was in their contract thingy that they mailed out to me....check and see maybe your school also has that policy?

At least look at the bright side---you've got choices! :D

Dorkus Maximus said:
If you don't like summer, why did you choose Touro? :laugh: I liked Touro too, but I was put on the waitlist!

I'm guessing you haven't spent much time in the bay area. I lived in Oakland for four years, and didn't own a pair of shorts. you can wear jeans 362 days a year, and it's NEVER humid. it ain't LA.

NonTradMed said:
Well, CCOM I know allows you to cancel your check within three business days, it was in their contract thingy that they mailed out to me
I was wondering this. I want to extend CCOM a for 3 or 4 days. Is this possible? Would save me $250. If not, oh well...it's only money right?? :rolleyes:

nerdgrrl said:
I'm guessing you haven't spent much time in the bay area. I lived in Oakland for four years, and didn't own a pair of shorts. you can wear jeans 362 days a year, and it's NEVER humid. it ain't LA.

You're right! I've only spent a few days in San Francisco - and it was chilly. I guess I got a little confused - I was referring to Touro-NV! They definitely have a summer!

Members don't see this ad :)
Dorkus Maximus said:
You're right! I've only spent a few days in San Francisco - and it was chilly. I guess I got a little confused - I was referring to Touro-NV! They definitely have a summer!

oh yeah, they definitely do!

Hey, I don't know how this would help you....but I know that LECOM-PA hasn't cashed my check yet. Maybe you'd have a chance at saving the $1500 if you overnight it on the 14th so they get it by 3pm or whenever...then it'd probably be too late to get it to the bank that day....then on the 16th when you find out about Touro you could do a stop payment....? Kinda a long shot, I know.

Good luck!

iwillbesoon said:
Hey, I don't know how this would help you....but I know that LECOM-PA hasn't cashed my check yet. Maybe you'd have a chance at saving the $1500 if you overnight it on the 14th so they get it by 3pm or whenever...then it'd probably be too late to get it to the bank that day....then on the 16th when you find out about Touro you could do a stop payment....? Kinda a long shot, I know.

Good luck!
Have you decided where you're going next year?

FutureDocDO said:
Have you decided where you're going next year?

Haha, yes, I'm going to LECOM-Erie. God, what a hard decision. Still, now that I've actually MADE it, I'm very happy with it. ....What about you?

iwillbesoon said:
Haha, yes, I'm going to LECOM-Erie. God, what a hard decision. Still, now that I've actually MADE it, I'm very happy with it. ....What about you?
I've sent in the deposit early this week so I guess that's (LECOM-Erie) where I'll be next year. It was tough and was a last minute decision. Their cost of tuition persuaded me :laugh: . By the way, I'm in LDP.

iwillbesoon said:

Good luck!

I think it's all worked out ok.

woohoo! I'm going back to California!

why can't DO schools give students a more reasonable amount of time to make an informed decision about where they have to essentially commit to attending? Your situation shows that they obviously want guaranteed money since they know that you want to get in somewhere. It seems to demonstrate how these schools are more commercial than the md schools...they obviously don't have trouble filling up their classes due to their acceptance rates which match many md schools, but they sure as hell want to rake in as much dough as possible from students that do not end up going to their school. md schools, for the most part, have low deposits, if any, to hold acceptances (usually around $100) and also tend to be refundable. So whats the deal???????

quantummechanic said:
why can't DO schools give students a more reasonable amount of time to make an informed decision about where they have to essentially commit to attending? Your situation shows that they obviously want guaranteed money since they know that you want to get in somewhere. It seems to demonstrate how these schools are more commercial than the md schools...they obviously don't have trouble filling up their classes due to their acceptance rates which match many md schools, but they sure as hell want to rake in as much dough as possible from students that do not end up going to their school. md schools, for the most part, have low deposits, if any, to hold acceptances (usually around $100) and also tend to be refundable. So whats the deal???????

I had a month after I got my acceptance from Erie to return the deposit, and over two months between my interview and when the deposit was due. I'm kind of inclined to believe that there's no reason they need to give someone more than two months to decide if they like the school. In my case, the timing was just bad.

as for the huge deposit amounts... it's unfortunate. I'm lucky that I make a decent living and can afford it at this moment in time. but, I really do think they do it to discourage people from holding several seats. right or wrong, I understand it.

it's all a crapshoot. you just have to play along. then again, I guess it's all easy to say after acceptances are received.

ask for the extension. I have never had one, but thats bc ive never needed one. but it couldnt hurt. if they want you badly enough.... theyll give it to you, with no problems.