• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

wait another year?

AwaPremed

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2004
    hi-

i need some major advice about applying. i have a low gpa * ridiculously low ---a 3.0 BUT I have really strong EC's and LOR's, publications, research etc....should i even apply this year or wait another year before applying to medical school? has anyone got into med school with a 3.0? what type of mcat did you have????????? i haven't taken many upper level science courses, primarily the pre-reqs, i'm a non-science major.

anyway any advice is appreciated!!!!!!!

jawicobike

Family Physician
    10+ Year Member
    5+ Year Member
    2+ Year Member
    7+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Jun 19, 2004
    Utah
    1. Attending Physician
      AwaPremed said:
      hi-

i need some major advice about applying. i have a low gpa * ridiculously low ---a 3.0 BUT I have really strong EC's and LOR's, publications, research etc....should i even apply this year or wait another year before applying to medical school? has anyone got into med school with a 3.0? what type of mcat did you have????????? i haven't taken many upper level science courses, primarily the pre-reqs, i'm a non-science major.

I was accepted with a 2.7 undergraduate science GPA and an overall undergraduate GPA of 2.9. My MCAT scores were PS 9, BS 9, VR 11.

About the Ads

Nate

Missing
      Moderator Emeritus
      10+ Year Member
      15+ Year Member
      Nov 27, 2003
      NJ > Ohio
      1. Resident [Any Field]
        Take the MCAT this April and see how you do. If you do well, maybe 28 or higher as a cut-off, you should apply. If not you can retake some of your classes you did poorly in and boost your GPA significantly, since AACOMAS only take takes the most recent grade in a course into consideration when calculating the GPA. Your MCAT score will be good for next year also so it can't hurt. Good luck.

DORoe

BWAAA HAAA HAAA
        7+ Year Member
        15+ Year Member
        Dec 24, 2003
        Ohio
          AwaPremed said:
          hi-

If you do well enough on the MCAT I think that you have a shot. Something else that you might want to consider is doing a post-bac at some institution (we have a pretty good one here at OUCOM from what I have heard). These post-bac programs let you boost up your academics and help prepare you for med school. A few of my friends were in our post-bac program and they seem to have had a bit of a leg up on the rest of us.

gwynnetn

10+ Year Member
          5+ Year Member
          Oct 23, 2004
            I have a 2.98 GPA, 3.00 science, with a 29 MCAT. one great LOR and strong premed committee letter, ( I chose ONLY the professors I knew would give me a great review). Applied to 20 schools, rejected at 4 out right (expected 6), eternal review committee at 8, interviewed at 6 and accepted at 6. 4 D.O. and 2 MD. So with the right attitude anything can be done. Just keep on trying, IF you have a low MCAT take some more science coursed do well and study harder for the MCAT in the spring. GOOD LUCK

About the Ads
            This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            7. This thread is locked.