Sep 9, 2013
Status
Medical Student
I am currently wait listed at my Top choice of instate school and I also got an acceptance at my second choice which I am more than happy about. I am curious about the May 15 deadline and holding multiple acceptances. Staying on the wait list at a school does not count as holding multiple acceptances correct? If I was pulled off the wait list after may 15 could I lose my spot at the other school?
If anyone could elaborate on how this process works I'd be grateful. Sorry if this topic has come up previously, I don't know how to search the threads.

Jun 11, 2013
Status
Medical Student
You cannot hold multiple acceptances on or after may 15th. This excludes wait listing. I believe this means that you can accept an offer after may 15th but you'll lose any deposit you have made at the school you have already accepted as your sole acceptance.

Jun 13, 2013
You cannot hold multiple acceptances on or after may 15th. This excludes wait listing. I believe this means that you can accept an offer after may 15th but you'll lose any deposit you have made at the school you have already accepted as your sole acceptance.
This is correct. You can only hold 1 acceptance, but can hold multiple waitlist positions after May 15th. You must withdraw from all waitlists if you attend any orientation session of a medical school, but until that very moment, you are free to go to another school if you are taken off the waitlist.

Also, for future reference, on the upper right hand corner, there is a white box that says "Search..."

BABSstudent

Established Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2011
Seattle
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I am currently wait listed at my Top choice of instate school and I also got an acceptance at my second choice which I am more than happy about. I am curious about the May 15 deadline and holding multiple acceptances. Staying on the wait list at a school does not count as holding multiple acceptances correct? If I was pulled off the wait list after may 15 could I lose my spot at the other school?
If anyone could elaborate on how this process works I'd be grateful. Sorry if this topic has come up previously, I don't know how to search the threads.
If you do end up being accepted to the waitlist school, you can hold on to both acceptances until May 15th.

If you are accepted off the waitlist after that date, the school will give you a few days to decide. It's not like the acceptance would not happen or it would automatically replace your previous acceptance after that date because you had an acceptance elsewhere.

pietachok

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2008
Status
Medical Student
wait so if you attend orientation at one school, you have to decline all your waitlist positions?
Yes. Once you start orientation you have started the academic year at that institution, and if you were to withdraw at that point they could not fill your seat (or would be doing so after the beginning of school). Is that surprising?

Jul 19, 2013
Michigan
Status
Pre-Medical
Yes. Once you start orientation you have started the academic year at that institution, and if you were to withdraw at that point they could not fill your seat (or would be doing so after the beginning of school). Is that surprising?
i dont know...i guess i just didnt really think about it. im on a waitlist (for my top choice) that won't have any movement until after may 15th and am accepted at a school that starts orientation june 11th...things are gonna get cut real close

Ismet

PGY-almost done!
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
May 15, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
i dont know...i guess i just didnt really think about it. im on a waitlist (for my top choice) that won't have any movement until after may 15th and am accepted at a school that starts orientation june 11th...things are gonna get cut real close
Attending orientation means that you have matriculated into that school. Once you matriculate, you forfeit any waitlists.

sinombre

carboloading
7+ Year Member
May 20, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Sorry if this topic has come up previously, I don't know how to search the threads.
:eyebrow:

When you type a title for a new thread, threads with similar titles automatically appear right under the text box. For example:

The first thread that appears actually answers this question.

Reactions: mcloaf and WashUDad
OP
P
Sep 9, 2013
Status
Medical Student
:eyebrow:

When you type a title for a new thread, threads with similar titles automatically appear right under the text box. For example:

The first thread that appears actually answers this question.
I'm using mobile and the search doesn't work.. I know how to search on the site.

Reactions: JmsD
Dec 29, 2011
Status
Medical Student
If that is the case, I would send your top choice a letter of intent. Let them know how excited you would be to attend that school. Just to be clear, I am not recommending that you tell the school about the 6/11 orientation. You may find that come May 15th, you're excited about the school that has accepted you. In addition, you will have likely found a roommate / apartment by then and will be setting up your new life. Thus, your current top choice may no longer be your top choice - and that is okay. Good luck.