Wait List Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HateTheMCAT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently on 5 wait lists. Question for everyone: if I were lucky enough to get into multiple schools off of wait lists, is there anything unique about wait list acceptances? If I accept one wait list, am I basically bypassing all other wait lists or can I still wait on the other schools. For instance, say I got into school A first off of their wait list and took the offer of admission, and then school B called at a later date and I'd rather go there, would that still be possible?

Members don't see this ad.

Before May 15, you may hold as many acceptances as you have money to pay the $100 deposit. After May 15, you can only hold one acceptance, but you can hold multiple waitlist spots. If you get an acceptance off the waitlist and send in money to hold the spot, you may remain on the other waitlists and take another acceptance if offered. Before May 15, you would get the deposit back. After May 15, you would not. When an acceptance is rendered, both schools are automatically made aware of the other. I believe you can hold both for up to two weeks, provided you inform both of the reason for a delayed decision, typically: getting financial aid decisions. If you have not, it is reasonable to submit the financial aid documents, listing all potential schools on the form, so you get approved in case you'll need the money, and can make a rapid decision. In the few weeks before class starts, you may be asked to make a commitment immediately, or within three days, if you get the call.

I've also heard that financial aid packages are significantly lower for people taken off the wait list. It makes sense but does anyone know about this for sure?