Wait List?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
L

LikeClockWork

So, I'm a first time applicant, but I'm trying to plan for possibility that I don't get in this cycle (and no, I'm not some neurotic 37R/3.9 kid. It's legitimately hit-or-miss.)
My question is this: if you make the wait-list but aren't selected off of it, is that a pretty good indication that you'll get in the next year without substantial changes in your application? ...or does that mean you'll just get wait-listed again with the same app? I'm considering pursuing an SMP or MS if I don't get in this year, but if I get wait-listed I was wondering if I needed to spend all that money and could just continue to work and volunteer. Thanks everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

I was wait-listed my first time applying, reapplied with stronger volunteer service, clinical research and LOR. Second time around I didn't even get wait-listed.
I was almost positive I was going to get in, and baffled I didn't even get on the list.
Every year is different and you apply in a completely different applicant pool. That said, you could really end up on top this year. You won't know until you try!
Good Luck.

I agree with the previous post. Every year is different and strange things can happen. I was waitlisted the previous cycle and blamed it on a late application (complete early December), but after seeking counseling from the school that waitlisted me, I concluded that my lack of success had more to do with other things than timing. I was told by the med school dean that in some cases previously waitlisted applicants are looked on more favorably, yet in others, they are not even offered interviews. I was told that even though my application is pretty decent overall, I have to continue to do things that show I'm serious about medicine. I am expecting an interview this cycle, but am getting ready to apply for the third time if needed. Anyway, good luck to you. I hope you will be successful this season.

Members don't see this ad :)
In my opinion, if you're going to reapply for the the very next cycle, chat with an advisor at your college and ask where your application is the weakest, then spend this upcoming year beefing those aspects up. However, if you're going to take a year in between to really ensure that you and your application are ready and competitive, then see if you get waitlisted, and then schedule an in-person or phone appointment with whoever is really in charge of admissions at the school, and ask them how you can improve your application. At many schools, if you directly address what the school advised, you're looked favorably upon at that school, and chances are, it'll help with other schools as well.

With all that said, don't worry about it yet! Wait till January or so before you even think about the issue again, and if it's still an issue, speak with your college counselor about it, even if you're already graduated, and work out a couple what-if five-year plans.

Best of luck applying this cycle!

My question is this: if you make the wait-list but aren't selected off of it, is that a pretty good indication that you'll get in the next year without substantial changes in your application? ...or does that mean you'll just get wait-listed again with the same app?

I'm pretty sure you have to substantially improve your app in order to be accepted the next year - you certainly can't just keep turning in the same app year after year!

At the VERY least, include what you did during your gap year.