jwillison

7+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2010
Status
Dentist
Anybody in the same boat? I'm OOS but this is the only school I've heard back from so far. In the email it stated that it is a 25 applicant wait list and based on the past threads it seems that most people from the wait list are offered acceptances. Does anybody know if they call or email before Jan or do they wait until after the deposits are due to offer more invitations?

Jul 18, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Status
Dental Student
Yes, the OOS wait list historically moves very fast. I'll be calling Monday to decline since I've been admitted to my state school and I assume many others will do the same. Good luck!

Baquettes

5+ Year Member
Oct 23, 2009
Status
Waitlist on IUPUI has very high chance of getting in, although one of my friends managed to secure a seat very late in the cycle.

PugLover84

10+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2009
Status
Dental Student
I was waitlisted there last year (also OOS). I was high on the list, #4 I think. The list moved fast, they did not seem to wait until deposits were due. I heard a couple weeks later that I was #2 and then toward the end of Dec I was in. You're as good as in! Hope that helps!

Smiley25

5+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
I'm an IN resident and on Dec. 1st I got an email stating that they will review my application in March. I thought that meant I was waitlisted, but apparently not.... From the email they sent it did not seem as if they had formulated an actual waiting list. Are there any In-State applicants that got an actual number or are there any of you that got an email like mine? I thought that I would still have a pretty good chance since I wasn't rejected, but this thread makes me kinda worried....

May 24, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
I'm OOS (international) and I'll be giving up my spot pretty soon...
Posted via Mobile Device

7 Iron

5+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2010
Status
Dentist
If this helps anyone, I also got into Indiana as OOS, and will soon be withdrawing the acceptance this week, as soon as I get their letter, so there should definitely be waitlist movement.

OP
J

jwillison

7+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2010
Status
Dentist
I'm an IN resident and on Dec. 1st I got an email stating that they will review my application in March. I thought that meant I was waitlisted, but apparently not.... From the email they sent it did not seem as if they had formulated an actual waiting list. Are there any In-State applicants that got an actual number or are there any of you that got an email like mine? I thought that I would still have a pretty good chance since I wasn't rejected, but this thread makes me kinda worried....
Here's what my email said, hope this helps:

"
Congratulations!
After reviewing your application, the Indiana University School of Dentistry Admissions Committee voted to place you on the IUSD alternate list for the 2011 entering class. I am very happy for you and excited that you find yourself very close to the opportunity to become a member of the IUSD family. From now until the end of the month, and we will begin extending offers of admissions to our twenty-five alternates as seats become open. Because the alternate pool at this time proves so fluid, we will not share with you your current rank. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions you want addressed. I do look forward to hearing from you.
Sincerely,

Robert H. Kasberg, Jr., Ph.D."

Smiley25

5+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
Here's what my email said, hope this helps:

"
Congratulations!
After reviewing your application, the Indiana University School of Dentistry Admissions Committee voted to place you on the IUSD alternate list for the 2011 entering class. I am very happy for you and excited that you find yourself very close to the opportunity to become a member of the IUSD family. From now until the end of the month, and we will begin extending offers of admissions to our twenty-five alternates as seats become open. Because the alternate pool at this time proves so fluid, we will not share with you your current rank. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions you want addressed. I do look forward to hearing from you.
Sincerely,

Robert H. Kasberg, Jr., Ph.D."
Thank you. That does help! I am wondering if they only have a waiting list for OOS students...? IDK... If anyone on here is In-state and got an email like the one above OR is either In-state or OOS and got an email like mine: "Unfortunately you were not selected this round, but the committee will review your application in March". Will you post? Just trying to figure out where I stand and what my next moves should be. I already tried calling the school and I wasn't really given a clear answer, just told to keep my file updated and I will be considered for a spot again in March...

OP
J

jwillison

7+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2010
Status
Dentist
I'm thinking there is just one wait list for both IS and OOS. It is a ranked list so this should mean that those having spring interviews would be interviewing for a spot on the wait list. Of course I'm sure the dean could fast-track any applicant he liked.

Dec 10, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
Hey guys-first time wall poster. out of state. Also waitlisted by Indiana-i think.

I was also waitlisted last year. Ill tell you how it worked:

Interviewed late (early february). notified of being waitlisted in March. told me that their waitlist had 40 people on it. I was number 32. every few weeks I would check back. i gradually moved up as Indiana had to keep plucking people off the list. 2 weeks before school started I made it to number 8, but it stopped there. I was so bummed out. as far as i know, there was only one waiting list.

This time around, I interviewed first week of november. got the message from dr. kasberg that said "unfortunately you werent selected this round, we will consider your application again in march." I am wondering why the one guy on this thread said he was directly told that he was waitlisted. Why wouldnt they review his application with everyone elses in march, then make the waitlist then? was there something unique to his application that they sent him directly to the waitlist? i just thought that was weird.

Also, hearing that they only have 25 seats on the waiting list is surprising. last year it was 40. I wonder if this has somethign to do with the new dean.

if you guys have any questions feel free to ask. this is a great resource to share experiences cuz i dont have any friends trying to get in dental school so there ave been misteps that i could have avoided if i had been using this website.

Dec 10, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
Also, when I intervied in february 2010, I believe there were 8 seats remaining for the class and the waiting list had not been made yet. So interviewing after the new year may not necessarily mean you are interviewing for waitlist spots

Smiley25

5+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
Hey guys-first time wall poster. out of state. Also waitlisted by Indiana-i think.

I was also waitlisted last year. Ill tell you how it worked:

Interviewed late (early february). notified of being waitlisted in March. told me that their waitlist had 40 people on it. I was number 32. every few weeks I would check back. i gradually moved up as Indiana had to keep plucking people off the list. 2 weeks before school started I made it to number 8, but it stopped there. I was so bummed out. as far as i know, there was only one waiting list.

This time around, I interviewed first week of november. got the message from dr. kasberg that said "unfortunately you werent selected this round, we will consider your application again in march." I am wondering why the one guy on this thread said he was directly told that he was waitlisted. Why wouldnt they review his application with everyone elses in march, then make the waitlist then? was there something unique to his application that they sent him directly to the waitlist? i just thought that was weird.

Also, hearing that they only have 25 seats on the waiting list is surprising. last year it was 40. I wonder if this has somethign to do with the new dean.

if you guys have any questions feel free to ask. this is a great resource to share experiences cuz i dont have any friends trying to get in dental school so there ave been misteps that i could have avoided if i had been using this website.
I received the same email. I'm glad to see that I am not the only one...I thought that this meant I was 'waitlisted', but after I read these posts I got concerned. Thanks for posting. Hopefully we'll make to the top of that waiting list!!:xf:

OP
J

jwillison

7+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2010
Status
Dentist
I am wondering why the one guy on this thread said he was directly told that he was waitlisted. Why wouldnt they review his application with everyone elses in march, then make the waitlist then? was there something unique to his application that they sent him directly to the waitlist? i just thought that was weird.
It seems to me that there are 4 possible results when you apply to IUSD.

1) Acceptance
2) Rejection
3) Waitlist
4) None of the above

It's my opinion that the 4th option is just slightly below being on a waitlist but far better than being rejected (obviously). They probably reserve a certain number of spots for the second round of interviews (maybe 10ish?) and if any spots over 10 open up they give them to the waitlisted applicants. Those that are reconsidered are probably lumped with the second round of applicants and given a slight priority.

Again, this is just my opinion based on the facts that I've observed. If anyone knows anything different please let us know.

OP
J

jwillison

7+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2010
Status
Dentist
I just emailed Michelle who works in the admissions office about the wait list and she said "We aren’t really giving out the ranking at this point because we expect you all to be offered acceptance before the end of February" So it looks like if you are on the alternate list you are as good as in!

Smiley25

5+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
I just emailed Michelle who works in the admissions office about the wait list and she said "We aren’t really giving out the ranking at this point because we expect you all to be offered acceptance before the end of February" So it looks like if you are on the alternate list you are as good as in!
Thanks for posting the update!

Dec 10, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
Wow, good for you. I hope I can find my way onto that list. I'm really bummed about nto getting in. I asked Indiana last year what I should do to improve my app and they said to take more classes to bring my GPA up. My GPA is already a 3.5 in sci and overall. The other 9 schools i applied to suggested retaking the DAT (17/18/20, both times). only Indi did not because my RC and PAT were so good. But because i wanted to go to Indi more than any other school I decided to continue taking classes and decided to get an MBA in health care management. I submitted my academic update to the AADSAS. They received my transcripts on december 1st, but my GPA calculations havent updated, nor have my class grades. Dr Kasberg said in our last email exchange to forward my transcripts to him when I get them...but I thought AADSAS should have updated already and Indiana should have my transcripts by december 1st, if not by now. I wonder how much this affected my chances since they did not have my transcripts when reviewing my application. I have a 3.75 in my MBA at the halfway point. should look good to them. Ill let eveyone know.

anybody else got anything interesting to share?

Smiley25

5+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
Wow, good for you. I hope I can find my way onto that list. I'm really bummed about nto getting in. I asked Indiana last year what I should do to improve my app and they said to take more classes to bring my GPA up. My GPA is already a 3.5 in sci and overall. The other 9 schools i applied to suggested retaking the DAT (17/18/20, both times). only Indi did not because my RC and PAT were so good. But because i wanted to go to Indi more than any other school I decided to continue taking classes and decided to get an MBA in health care management. I submitted my academic update to the AADSAS. They received my transcripts on december 1st, but my GPA calculations havent updated, nor have my class grades. Dr Kasberg said in our last email exchange to forward my transcripts to him when I get them...but I thought AADSAS should have updated already and Indiana should have my transcripts by december 1st, if not by now. I wonder how much this affected my chances since they did not have my transcripts when reviewing my application. I have a 3.75 in my MBA at the halfway point. should look good to them. Ill let eveyone know.

anybody else got anything interesting to share?
Good for you! I am studying now to take the DAT again before March.... I received scores of (17/18/21). This has seriously been so hard to bring myself to do, BUT I have never wanted anything more in my life so studying for it AGAIN is just going to have to happen. I have been so excited about my Christmas and NYE plans-3 weeks paid vacation, traveling all over the US, had planned for it to be my last big adventure before the start of dental school... now all I can think about is taking the DAT and getting into school. I also found out that I received the Navy Military Scholarship for school(which I'm ecstatic about), but that is of course contingent upon my acceptance. I would hate so much to lose that scholarship and opportunity. I just wish I could tell the admissions committee, "I'M SMART-I CAN DO THIS! SORRY I JUST GOT PIANO'D!" haha... Best of luck to you all.:xf::luck::xf:

OP
J

jwillison

7+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2010
Status
Dentist
Congratulations on the Navy, I'm applying for that scholarship right now! I really hope I get it because OOS tuition is killer for Indiana. How long did the process take you? I have to get cleared for some medical issues but hopefully I'll know soon after that.

Smiley25

5+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
Congratulations on the Navy, I'm applying for that scholarship right now! I really hope I get it because OOS tuition is killer for Indiana. How long did the process take you? I have to get cleared for some medical issues but hopefully I'll know soon after that.
Thanks! I started around the end of July and had my application sent to the board at the end of October. I was in the second round of applications sent to the board. My recruiter called me and told me the good news on December 2nd. It was nice to have a window open after having a door shut in my face. Made me want to retake the DAT so I can hold on to this opportunity. I believe they have a total of 52 HPSP scholarships and 20 HSCP(which you wouldn't want to do OOS) for the class of 2015. The board began reviewing applications towards the end of October. It is a rolling admissions process so I am sure they don't have that many left, BUT there is always the case of people like me :( who may not have the chance of enrollment into a dental class, and of course those that get the offer, but choose to take loans out instead. The process was tedious and time consuming, but I am sure you can knock it out in less than 2 months. I had all of my paperwork completed the day after they gave it to me...what takes time is having people sign off on your application, interview, scheduling and having physical done, LOR written and sent in, etc.. You can PM me if you have any specific questions about the process. My recruiter is great so I have never felt left in the dark. Hopefully yours is too.

hoylematt

10+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
Is it true that you can apply for the Air-force scholarship at the end of D1?

OP
J

jwillison

7+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2010
Status
Dentist
Is it true that you can apply for the Air-force scholarship at the end of D1?
You can't apply for the 4-year scholarship so it would be for the 3-year. The Air Force gives out far more 3-years than they do 4 so you have a pretty good chance of getting it.

OP
J

jwillison

7+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2010
Status
Dentist
Ok, here's the latest news. I just talked with my "inside source" who is a D4 and a friend of Dr. Kasberg (dean of admissions) and here's what he said.

This year they offered 100 acceptances to OOS for 30-35 positions. They are expecting about 20% of them to matriculate leaving about 15 positions available to the wait list. Dr. K also said that you can never be completely removed from the wait list but your position can change. This is because during Spring interviews (anything post Dec), if an applicant gets put on the wait list the admissions committee decides where to put him/her on the list. So it is possible to get bumped back in the wait list after the spring interviewees are done which is why they are not sharing the rankings with us.

It looks like it will all depend on how many of the OOS applicants actually accept the offer. If it's less than 20% more people from the wait list will get in and if it's more...well let's just hope it's not. IUSD has a notoriously fast-moving wait list because many of the OOS applicants choose another school simply because the tuition is so high.

Aug 9, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
Thought I would give hope to those of you waitlisted to let you know that I declined my acceptance at Indiana today.

Good Luck to all of you :)

OP
J

jwillison

7+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2010
Status
Dentist
I just got the official email from Dr. K this morning offering me a position!!! The wait list has begun to move. Good luck everyone that's still waiting

Jan 5, 2011
Status
Pre-Dental
Hey jwillison did you know your ranking before you got accepted. I was #8 on Tuesday and am #6 right now and was wondering what my chances are of them to get to me on the list. Dr. Kasberg said there should be movement by March 1st but I have no idea how much it will move.

OP
J

jwillison

7+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2010
Status
Dentist
Hey jwillison did you know your ranking before you got accepted. I was #8 on Tuesday and am #6 right now and was wondering what my chances are of them to get to me on the list. Dr. Kasberg said there should be movement by March 1st but I have no idea how much it will move.
I was #1 on the wait list. I had a few insiders find it out for me. If you're #6 right now you're pretty much in, they let most of the wait list in every year. I would think that it would move quite a bit right now since all of the 1st round deposits are due. Then I would imagine it would calm down until after the second round of interviews happens. Good luck, have you interviewed or been accepted anywhere else?

Dec 10, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
Any news anyone? I got the email today about pledging your continued interest in Indiana. Said they filled all their out of state seats so everyone that will be interviewed after this point, or those that are still under consideration from the fall, will all being fighting for spots on the 40 person wait list.

This sure does stink. Was really hoping to get in since I was waitlisted last year. I was told the other day that I my Navy officer was holding an HPSP spot for me but they had to give it up to someone else because it was taking too long for me to get accepted, but now I still have an HSCP scholarship waiting for me if I get in. Would have preferred the HPSP, but what are you gonna do.

Smiley25

5+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
Any news anyone? I got the email today about pledging your continued interest in Indiana. Said they filled all their out of state seats so everyone that will be interviewed after this point, or those that are still under consideration from the fall, will all being fighting for spots on the 40 person wait list.

This sure does stink. Was really hoping to get in since I was waitlisted last year. I was told the other day that I my Navy officer was holding an HPSP spot for me but they had to give it up to someone else because it was taking too long for me to get accepted, but now I still have an HSCP scholarship waiting for me if I get in. Would have preferred the HPSP, but what are you gonna do.
I'm in a similar situation as you. I have also received an HSCP scholarship, but am on the 'waiting list'...? I was sent an email on December 1st stating that I was not chosen this round, but that I would be considered once more when the committee meets in March. I am instate and would be interested to know how the waiting list works for us. I know that any typical class has around 60-70 IN residents and 30-40 non-residents. They interviewed 75 instate students in September and they said they would accept 60-65 of those students. How many instate students do they interview in the spring? What about those instate students that decline their offer? Just wanting to know how much of a shot I really have at receiving an acceptance this time around.

Jan 18, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Status
Pre-Dental
ahhh this doesnt sound too good. I have an interview at indiana on the 9th of february. The last thing I wanted to hear was that I was fighting for a spot on the waitlist.

UndergradGuy7

10+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2007
Status
Pre-Dental
ahhh this doesnt sound too good. I have an interview at indiana on the 9th of february. The last thing I wanted to hear was that I was fighting for a spot on the waitlist.
They sent an e-mail a few weeks ago saying the out of state seats are full. Any people already interviewed and being interviewed now are for alternate seats.

Dec 10, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
Did everyone accept a spot on the waiting list? anybody plan on with drawing or have other options? how are you all feelin about your chances?