Waiting for SA acceptance response?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predentist

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any people who thought their chances of getting in this cycle was very low and still got an interview from SA? Seems like many people are accepted to houston and baylor while SA has still not responded them by dec 1st. For these people (accepted to houston and baylor and interviewed at SA) what do you think might have went wrong at SA? Do you think SA is just interviewing way too many people this cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

SA? you mean UTHSCSA?

sorry i should have clarified it yes, San Antonio Dental School UTHSCSA

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I am a student there, so if you question wasn't pointed to me I apologize.

But based off what I saw this semester, it looked like the number of interviews each week were normal or possibly on the high end (by a couple) when compared to those numbers last year.

I heard that they increased the class size for 2012 as well. Like 116 now... but that could be a vicious rumor. The sizes now are around 95ish.

thx grudge,
well, if they increased the class size and they also interviewed many people than why has SA not accepted many people accepted to houston and Baylor. I know it depends on each school but on predents.com this is the case with many people. SA has lower acceptance # then the other two schools.

I mean, like I said...that number 116 could have been a rumor, ive never looked at predents.com so i dunno what they have there.

Also, as you said, just because someone is accepted to two other school doesn't mean that they are going to get into the third. I got accepted to all three, but even in my class not everyone got accepted to all three. Some only got accepted at UTHSCSA and not houston or Baylor from my class. That was two years ago.

It just comes down to the admissions people making their own choices at each school.

Just curious...how many are accepted to UTHSCSA from predents.com?

Well I am a student there, so if you question wasn't pointed to me I apologize.

But based off what I saw this semester, it looked like the number of interviews each week were normal or possibly on the high end (by a couple) when compared to those numbers last year.

I heard that they increased the class size for 2012 as well. Like 116 now... but that could be a vicious rumor. The sizes now are around 95ish.

I heard they were proposing an increase to 116-120 but the increase was for more foreign trained dentists.

I heard they were proposing an increase to 116-120 but the increase was for more foreign trained dentists.

They are bringing in more foreigners to our school. We already have some here this year too. It's weird. With all the applicants wanting to get into school...why would they want to fill in those spaces with foreigners. And why so many?

I mean, like I said...that number 116 could have been a rumor, ive never looked at predents.com so i dunno what they have there.

Just curious...how many are accepted to UTHSCSA from predents.com?

According to one post, there were 120 names on the list of those accepted. (see predentn). In general, foreign trained dentists start as DSIII and do not appear to be included in this list.

You can check www.predents.com for the second part of your question.

An increase in class size could be expected. The labs were renovated last year to put in a sim lab. All the labs were finished except for half of one... so there could possibly be 14 extra seats in the incoming class since I believe they are supposed to finish the lab up soon. This would equate to 112 students in the incoming class if they filled up all the available space in the labs (4 labs, 28 students each). But don't quote me on that.

According to one post, there were 120 names on the list of those accepted. (see predentn). In general, foreign trained dentists start as DSIII and do not appear to be included in this list.

You can check www.predents.com for the second part of your question.

The list states 120 but they know not all of those students will accept the offer. If the foreign trained dentists are not accounted for in the 120. How will they accommodate the increased class size plus the foreign trained dentist when they all reach the clinics? I know the DS3 & DS4 classes right now are in clinic less than the classes before them. A direct result of increasing the number of students with no place to put them.

I may be wrong, but I don't think anyone is in the clinic any less than before. All the students still have ~7 appointments a week. And even though there are more students in each class, many students are on rotations either through the graduate departments or through off-site clinics, so that opens up space for students to complete their work. I don't know how many FTD are accepted into each class, but I think the school accounts for students dropping out for various reasons, failing, or remediating with the class behind them, so that also leaves openings in each class. I wouldn't worry about the school not being able to accommodate everyone... I have never heard any serious complaints about not being able to finish requirements or find patients, etc. To my knowledge, everyone finishes requirements by the end of the summer following graduation, with majority finishing before the end of May.

The list states 120 but they know not all of those students will accept the offer. If the foreign trained dentists are not accounted for in the 120. How will they accommodate the increased class size plus the foreign trained dentist when they all reach the clinics? I know the DS3 & DS4 classes right now are in clinic less than the classes before them. A direct result of increasing the number of students with no place to put them.

You are making an assumption that everyone who starts as DSI will finish at the same time. In actuality, some students are lost through attrition. Some may continue on a 5 year program, some may drop out and some may be asked to leave. As far as accommodating them, there is no need to worry. At the peak in the 80's there were 150+ per class.

You are making an assumption that everyone who starts as DSI will finish at the same time. In actuality, some students are lost through attrition. Some may continue on a 5 year program, some may drop out and some may be asked to leave. As far as accommodating them, there is no need to worry. At the peak in the 80's there were 150+ per class.

No assumptions....this is a current problem at the aforementioned program.

No assumptions....this is a current problem at the aforementioned program.

Where did you hear there was a problem? I am a student at San Antonio and have not heard about this current problem.

Where did you hear there was a problem? I am a student at San Antonio and have not heard about this current problem.

My wife is a 4th yr. Their clinic time has been significantly reduced. I was hoping to get some feedback from the 1st/2nd yr students as to how they are proposing to give back the lost clinic time. I believe they are in clinic something like 10-20 days less this year versus previous years.

Interesting. I had not heard anything. I don't think many first year students like myself have heard much on how they are going to make up for lost time in clinic. I believe 3rd and 4th years are starting school earlier this year though, July 7th maybe? And I believe we are getting out a week later for Christmas and coming back a few days later than normal, so I guess they are making up for some lost time this way. I'm not sure though.

My wife is a 4th yr. Their clinic time has been significantly reduced. I was hoping to get some feedback from the 1st/2nd yr students as to how they are proposing to give back the lost clinic time. I believe they are in clinic something like 10-20 days less this year versus previous years.

Your wife is a DSIV at UTHSCSA and you are looking for feedback through SDN?

there were 10 FTDs last year and from what they told us at the interview - there could be a 2 more at the maximum.. dont think thats gonna make any great difference ..