Waiting list for ODS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perrotfish

Has an MD in Horribleness
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just requested a seat at ODS for this summer, which I thought was early and responsible, and found out I'm on a waiting list (and not that near the top). Does anyone know:

1) If/ how much these waiting lists generally move?

2) What happens if I don't get to go to ODS this summer?

3) If I can't do ODS, is there anything else I can do with the military this summer without having done ODS first?

4) How much of an idiot am I likely to look like during rotations if I don't get to go to ODS this summer?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I just requested a seat at ODS for this summer, which I thought was early and responsible, and found out I'm on a waiting list (and not that near the top). Does anyone know:

1) If/ how much these waiting lists generally move?

2) What happens if I don't get to go to ODS this summer?

3) If I can't do ODS, is there anything else I can do with the military this summer without having done ODS first?

4) How much of an idiot am I likely to look like during rotations if I don't get to go to ODS this summer?

1) Some, but probably not enough for you. (being pessimistic.)

2) Life goes on. If you can't go in med school, you will go prior to internship. Annoying, but not life altering.

3) You should ask the guys at NMETC.

4) How much of an idiot you look like depends on you. You will need to get your own uniforms. Have someone who knows help you. Order a copy of the Blue Jackets Manuel and peruse it. It has a wealth of information on protocol and such.

Perrrotfish- Worst case scenario, could you use a 4th year elective?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the help NavyFP

3) You should ask the guys at NMETC.

I asked. They informed me that I could persue a military research project, if I could find one, but I'm responsible for finding the project. Does anyone know of any military research projects that might want a medical student? I have some lab experience.

Perrrotfish- Worst case scenario, could you use a 4th year elective?

Maybe but probably not. My school wants your electives to be either rotations or research. Best case scenario I can convince them to let me take one of my elective rotations this summer to do research (which is a legal 4th year rotation) and then use one of my rotations at the end of 2nd year to do ODS.

Thank you for the help NavyFP

I asked. They informed me that I could persue a military research project, if I could find one, but I'm responsible for finding the project. Does anyone know of any military research projects that might want a medical student? I have some lab experience.

Maybe but probably not. My school wants your electives to be either rotations or research. Best case scenario I can convince them to let me take one of my elective rotations this summer to do research (which is a legal 4th year rotation) and then use one of my rotations at the end of 2nd year to do ODS.

You can do it as a 4th year elective, but don't sacrifice an audition rotation for ODS. Getting your internship of choice is more important.