Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Waiting on Semester Grades

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by FieldDoc, Nov 15, 2005.

  1. FieldDoc

    FieldDoc Whacker Extraordinaire
    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2005
    Messages:
    77
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Hey all,
    Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on what I should do...

    Here's the scenario:
    Got into one school (my second choice) - deadline for deposit mid Dec :confused:
    First choice school sent a letter stating that they wanted my end of semester grades prior to making their decision. The problem is that I won't have these till after the deposit is due for the other school. So...my options as I see it are to make an appointment and go in and talk with the school, begging for hope, or to pay my second choice's deposit and just ditch my first choice. Neither of these sounds very promising to me and I don't want to just settle on my second choice without a fight. :scared:

    Any better ideas? How about any ideas about what to say if I can schedule a meeting with my first choice?

    Thanks!
     
  2. patho

    patho Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2005
    Messages:
    138
    Likes Received:
    1
    Status:
    Resident [Any Field]
    If you can afford it, why don't you put the deposit down on the school you've been accepted to. Then, you could wait on your first choice school and if they accept you, you can just lose the deposit on the other school and attend your first choice.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. FieldDoc

    FieldDoc Whacker Extraordinaire
    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2005
    Messages:
    77
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Resident [Any Field]
    In theory I would tend to agree with your idea. I really don't like the idea of losing a couple of thousand dollars if I can avoid it. I will most definitely put the deposit down rather than loose the spot if I am not accepted in my #1 school by then, but I was hoping that someone would have some ideas/ways to beg that I hadn't thought of yet. I know that in the grand scheme of a poor medical school student future a couple thousand isn't much to be happy for the next 4 years, it’s just a hard concept to swallow.

    I think that I'm just going to be brave and try and put myself out there with my #1 school and tell them what the situation is. I'm going to tell them that they are my #1 and that I would go there without hesitation, but that my acceptance to my #2 is due prior to when they would make their decision.

    A bummer, but it has to be done.

    Other thoughts are still welcomed :D
     
  4. Best of luck. Let us know how it turns out.
     
  5. Raven Feather

    Raven Feather Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2005
    Messages:
    791
    Likes Received:
    0
    Tell them your situation and that they are your first choice school, then ask if after finals, if each of your professors could send on letter head your grades, tell them if accepted, they can compare those grades with the transcripts you will send as soon as they become available--so they can hopefully accept you contingent upon verification of those grades. Can't hurt to ask.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Taus

    Taus .
    Moderator 10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2005
    Messages:
    3,849
    Likes Received:
    422
    Status:
    Attending Physician
    A few thousand dollars will amount to nothing in the long run, considering the debt you have to look forward to from med school. For a shot at your top choice school, my opinion would definitely be to just take the risk of losing the $.
     
  7. OSUdoc08

    OSUdoc08 Membership Revoked
    Removed

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2003
    Messages:
    7,698
    Likes Received:
    6
    Status:
    Medical Student
    Pay the deposit. It will be an extremely small percentage of the total debt that you will accrue, AND you will pay it off easily as a physician anyway.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. HunterGatherer

    HunterGatherer HunterGatherer
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2005
    Messages:
    2,587
    Likes Received:
    16
    Status:
    Attending Physician
    pay the deposit. Try getting a student loan if you have not already. That money will be a drop in the bucket compared to your med school loans.

    I'm taking out a student loan to be sure I have no problems with interview travel expenses and deposits.
     
  9. DrHate

    DrHate Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2005
    Messages:
    16
    Likes Received:
    0
    Yeah I wouldn't risk losing 1 yr.

    #1. You'll have to reapply next year ... application process cost more than $2,000.

    #2 If you got in, you'll be graduating 1 year ealier .... if you're a brand new surgeon, you could make $400,000 or more depend on what you do. :). Hey, you'd lose more money that just 2 grands!

    #3 Making money 1 year ealier, could me you can retire 1 year earlier ... LOL :)
     
  10. TAI786

    TAI786 Member
    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2005
    Messages:
    32
    Likes Received:
    0
    Absolutely do not take the chance of losing the spot! Put down the deposit. It's a game of musical chairs, really, if you lose your spot and your #1 doesn't even grant you a spot you're going to spend more money (not to mention another year of your life) reapplying/re-interviewing everywhere next year. Get the deposit in!!!!! :D
     
  11. HunterGatherer

    HunterGatherer HunterGatherer
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2005
    Messages:
    2,587
    Likes Received:
    16
    Status:
    Attending Physician
    I would do anything to avoid having to write another PS.
     

Share This Page