SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

waiting to respond to interview invite?

Discussion in 'Internship' started by afugazzi, Sep 19, 2014.

  1. afugazzi

    afugazzi 5+ Year Member

    May 8, 2009
    I am applying in neuro as well as to several prelim/TY programs. I got an interview invite at a TY program. Ideally, it would be great to try a coordinate the interview date with any interviews I get for neuro programs or other prelim programs in the same city. How long is it acceptable/smart/polite to wait to sign up for an interview date for the purpose of attempting to coordinate interview dates? Also, once you select an interview date, how flexible are programs about changing the date if you then get another interview in the same city and you want to coordinate? I don't want to risk pissing off the program or losing my interview date, but saving hundreds of dollars on flights is a big win...
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. gutonc

    gutonc No Meat, No Treat Administrator Physician PhD 10+ Year Member

    Mar 6, 2005
    A fibrotic stroma
    Most people respond immediately. I agree it's nice to be able to batch your interviews (and you still might be able to) but you won't have the opportunity to do so if you lose the chance for an IV spot.
    pinecat likes this.
  4. Dermione Granger

    Dermione Granger Wingardium Leviosa! 2+ Year Member

    Apr 22, 2014
    I agree, respond ASAP otherwise you may lose your spot. You can always change the interview date after you hear back from your neuro program. Just let the PC know you would like to batch the interviews if possible.
  5. pinecat

    pinecat 2+ Year Member

    Jul 16, 2013
    I agree. Respond as quickly as you can. There were instances last interview season where I felt as though I lived in constant travel mode. It definitely would have been easier to batch them but it didn't happen too often. I wound up turning down a specialty interview because I wasn't able to change dates. That said, it is definitely better IMHO to accept interviews and give ample time to politely decline if need be.
  6. Dral

    Dral Physician PhD 7+ Year Member

    Jan 8, 2009
    Don't most Neuro programs want you to do a prelim year?
  7. sakata8242

    sakata8242 2+ Year Member

    May 5, 2011
    The Thenar Eminence
    Respond ASAP. it's better to cancel or ask for a schedule change afterwards, than it is to be placed on a wait list and never get an interview at all.
  8. afugazzi

    afugazzi 5+ Year Member

    May 8, 2009
    It's a mix. I know of 2 I applied to that don't allow TY, but others are ok with it.

    Thanks for your advice on this, everyone :)

Share This Page