waitlist advice please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Angelo84

Tufts Class of 2011
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am currently on the waitlist at Cornell. My mother wants me to write them a note saying that I would go to Cornell if I got in because she feels that it would bump me up on the list. I feel that the list is already ranked and they would be calling in order and that note would make no difference. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

ohhhhhh moms. they so silly :)

does it depend on the school? i know csu is numbered according to preference, so theres no way they'll reorder that list. maybe cornell masses alternates all together? nah, they gotta have some order... i think the decision is made. thank you notes never hurt though ;)

I'm also an alternate at Cornell, and it was my understanding that the difference between their "alternate" list and the standard "waitlist" at some schools is that there is no actual ranking. Instead, they see who declines a position and re-evaluate the entire pool every time it happens. I wrote them a little letter of interest/update right after I was notified of my alt. status, and while I'm not sure if it helped me I'm pretty sure that it didn't hurt! I'd say go for it-- especially if you've got something snazzy to add to your application since you've had contact with them (I also read somewhere that it's a good idea to email AND snail mail such a letter just to make sure that it gets there).

Members don't see this ad :)
where did you get that info? I thought alternate was just cornell's way of saying waitlist and that we are all ranked and they just go down the list. I don't have anything to add to my application--other than I would love to go to Cornell but I'm assuming so would everyone else on the alternate list.

Thanks.

I am curious if Iowa State's system is working the same way since they aren't ranking their wait list this year. Anybody know?

I am curious if Iowa State's system is working the same way since they aren't ranking their wait list this year. Anybody know?

Judging from the posts I've read here and the letter Iowa sent me, I'd say that they aren't ranking this year.

I think I got that info from some of the old posts about the cornell alt list from last year, combined with personal communications from the dean of admissions. I am pretty sure I'll be declining my alt status, so maybe other people will as well!! I don't think it would hurt to let them know that it's your first choice and "If admitted, I would attend" etc.

Best of luck!!