waitlist after waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luckyducky87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So...

• I have 3 official waitlists at Duke, Dartmouth, and NYU.
  • I am on a post-I hold at Maryland (which apparently means waitlist)
  • I haven't heard back from VCU yet but I've already passed 2 of their notification dates w/o a decision made... (so I'm predicting that it may be another waitlist if I hadn't heard for this long?)

I'm at a loss as to what to do. With the current economy situation, I don't really know how and where I'm supposed to find a job that's tentative enough that I can drop it if I get into a school over the summer (I really want to work in a research lab (paid), I think). And I'm not sure what I should do with the schools I am waitlisted at. I would absolutely love to go to all of them, but Duke is by far my top choice. I would really give anything to make it to Duke. But I know a few hundred others on the WL will also agree.

I'm not sure if I should send a LoI now? Or right before May 15 so it's fresher in their minds when they re-review? Or after May 15? I only have a couple of things I want to update them with so I don't want to run out of material this "early" on. And I just don't know. I wrote what I thought was a pretty clear and strong letter of interest to NYU (but I didn't want to quite commit right then) right after interviewing there in December, but I still just got waitlisted in March. So I'm not sure if my letter writing skill is not that great?!

Sigh... I'm just disappointed and not sure how to proceed because I obviously can't wait until June/July to make plans for the next two years. Although I'm kind of tempted to, and hope for luck.

The idea of taking 2 years off, retaking the MCAT, and spending another few thousand $$ on application cycle scares the heck out of me.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm at a loss as to what to do. With the current economy situation, I don't really know how and where I'm supposed to find a job that's tentative enough that I can drop it if I get into a school over the summer (I really want to work in a research lab (paid), I think). And I'm not sure what I should do with the schools I am accepted at. I would absolutely love to go to all of them, but Duke is by far my top choice. I would really give anything to make it to Duke. But I know a few hundred others on the WL will also agree.

Confused. You have an acceptance somewhere or not?

Also, seems to me that if you're waitlisted at these schools, you don't need to retake the MCAT, though I have no real idea of what your stats are.

If you're accepted somewhere, by all means go there; it might not be your top choice, or even in your top 10, but it's better to take the acceptance you have NOW rather than roll the dice and see if you can get in again somewhere else next year. Plus it will look bad to see that you got in last year if you do reapp.

So... do you have an acceptance?

Members don't see this ad :)
As a current applicant, my visits to the regular pre-allo forum has completely stopped ever since the school-specific threads got moved to a sub-forum (a potential disadvantage for having it separated). Anyway... I'm back here out of complete frustration.

Use the thread tools to subscribe to the pertinent threads and then use "my account" to see updated threads....

Great way to keep up.

Hahaha OH my goodness. I have no idea what I was saying - long week, sorry guys.

I meant to say: I don't know what I should do with schools I've been waitlisted at. No, I do not have any acceptances. Sorry for the confusion.

Hahaha OH my goodness. I have no idea what I was saying - long week, sorry guys.

I meant to say: I don't know what I should do with schools I've been waitlisted at. No, I do not have any acceptances. Sorry for the confusion.

Ah, well that's a horse of a different color. Unfortunately, all you can really do is wait it out. Try and keep in touch without sounding too needy and definitely go ahead and send some interest letters if you think you can articulate your thoughts about why you'd like to attend. I don't think it would hurt to send letters/updates now as opposed to later. They may not be as "fresh", but they'll still have them in front of them when they reevaluate. In regards to your NYU letter, it doesn't mean what you wrote wasn't good enough. Letters of interest aren't deal makers and may or may not have any appreciable effect on your application.

Good luck.

Ah, well that's a horse of a different color. Unfortunately, all you can really do is wait it out. Try and keep in touch without sounding too needy and definitely go ahead and send some interest letters if you think you can articulate your thoughts about why you'd like to attend. I don't think it would hurt to send letters/updates now as opposed to later. They may not be as "fresh", but they'll still have them in front of them when they reevaluate. In regards to your NYU letter, it doesn't mean what you wrote wasn't good enough. Letters of interest aren't deal makers and may or may not have any appreciable effect on your application.

Good luck.

I definitely want to write a letter of intent to Duke... and most likely a letter of (strong strong strong!) interest to all of the others. (And combine that with recent publication info + other updates). Do that now.

And maybe at the end of the semester I'll send a final transcript?

Argh...

i wish i could offer words of advice. I am in a similar boat- 2 wait lists and still waiting to hear from one other... just wanted to let you know you arent alone!

This is such an inefficient system. I literally spend thousands of dollars (unlike with science grad school applicants where the schools pay for all travels) and 10 months of stressing out. And now I have to wait until May 15th to *possibly* hear anything positive. It's already a little too late for me to consider reapplying this summer (since I don't really have "improvements" to speak of), which means I need to wait out 2 years b/w now and (possible) medical school matriculation. Not to mention all the money and time I'll need to re-spend on reapplying :(

Not that none of you knew that already I guess... but just needed to get that out of my system.

You've interviewed at good schools. You could get some feedback re: your application from some schools and broaden your schools next cycle. If you interviewed, you were close to the cut-off.

Hang in there, luckyducky. I know this whole process sucks, but there are only so many things you can control. The only thing you can do now is to update Duke with Letters of Intent, and yes, multiple letters. Make them know that they are your top choice. Be determined!

Hang in there OP and stay strong!:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Lucky - hang in there. In the same boat as you, as I suspect many others are. It is a bit of a ridiculous system in regard to the amount of time, money, and STRESS required to get into school, but it is what it is, it's the path we've chosen. Best of luck and keep your head up!

Lucky - hang in there. In the same boat as you, as I suspect many others are. It is a bit of a ridiculous system in regard to the amount of time, money, and STRESS required to get into school, but it is what it is, it's the path we've chosen. Best of luck and keep your head up!

Yeah i am pretty much in the same situation. I have one acceptance though so i don't have to worry about reapplying. but I am waitlisted at 5 schools.

OP we're in the same boat. Guess there isn't much we can do but hang in there huh?

Best of luck to all of us waiting for VCU on Monday... ugh... i feel like puking just thinking about it.

Hey Luckyducky,

I am a FIRM believer that you get ZILCH in life without asking for it. Send the letters now! I would BE VERY careful though about writing more than one letter of interest/intent IF you intend to say something like, "If accepted, I will matriculate at your Univ...." THAT letter sounds like it goes to Duke only. And that's great. I would write it. THIS way, it will be in their file long before others, and long before May. If you wait, (i get your logic for waiting and staying fresh), but they're going to review them all then anyway, or, when life happens between now and May, for Duke admissions, you'll already be good to go with your letter in.

If you wait, you might miss the rare chance of getting in earlier than May 15.

Don't have regrets. And also shoot some of those letters to those other three schools about your interest. There was another link on SDN, can't find it at the moment, that ties to MDApps, and it was a LOI from a student who was chasing after UCI like there was no other school in existence. And she got in! Against all odds. It was well written and thought out an I would find it and think about putting down your letter in that regard.

Sounds like you're really close (I know, shoot me for saying that), big picture though, you're really close. :D

D712

A waitlist is just an extension of time in which you can prove you are worthy.

A waitlist is just an extension of time in which you can prove you are worthy.

argh but i just feel like thats what the past TEN months were for.

bahadur - oh man, good luck with vcu. hopefully we can hear back with sunshine news that will end this misery chain of waitlists.

sorry to hear of the so many people on the long list of WL's... :(

doctor 712 - thanks for your advice. right, i would only tell one school :)love:Duke:love:) that I'd attend *No matter what* if they accepted me... but perhaps in less desperate words, haha. And the other schools, which are still amazing and I would loooooooove to go to - I will tell them that I am strongly strongly interested.

Thanks guys for the moral support. Really needed it.

FWIW Dartmouth takes a lot of people off the waitlist, so I'd continue to show very strong interest if you want to go there!

FWIW Dartmouth takes a lot of people off the waitlist, so I'd continue to show very strong interest if you want to go there!

I just want to reiterate, you have done SOMETHING right if you got those interviews. Keep your chin up!!!!

You're not the only one...

<<< 5 waitlists, 0 acceptances

You're not the only one...

<<< 5 waitlists, 0 acceptances

Be patient, you may have your acceptance in the end.

And one suggestion if you need to re-apply: improve your interview skill!!!!!!!!

With five interviews and no any acceptance, I think the only problem is your interview skill.

First don’t panic, being waitlisted at 5 schools is better than being rejected by 5 schools . You interviewed at multiple schools so have a little faith in yourself. Echoing what others have said I would send update letters (only if relevant) or a letter of intent. Have a friend, professor, or boss look it over before you send it.

Second, this process can be uber stressful. Make a little time for yourself, get together with some close friends, or indulge in one of your hobbies. Waiting for an acceptance can be like waiting for a pot of water to boil.

If you are still worried apply for a research job or a paid internship as a backup plan. The National Institutes of Health IRTA program might be an option. If you are interested PM me. I’m an IRTA now and might be able to answer some of your questions.

Hope you get some good news soon!