Waitlist and financial aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rose122

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how scholarship opportunities are related to the timing of your acceptance? Is it possible that you'll receive less grant money if you are accepted off of the waitlist after May 15?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Rose122
Does anyone know how scholarship opportunities are related to the timing of your acceptance? Is it possible that you'll receive less grant money if you are accepted off of the waitlist after May 15?

Thanks

If you get off a waitlist, then someone else had to say no to X medical school, which means that his/her grant money is now up for grabs.

Edit: Maybe that money is less, but I don't think you will be totally screwed if you get in off a waitlist.

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as timing goes...what happens if you get accepted within a few weeks or days of the beginning of school? How will you pay for it, or get housing for that matter?

Originally posted by vrazz
As far as timing goes...what happens if you get accepted within a few weeks or days of the beginning of school? How will you pay for it, or get housing for that matter?

ask students really fast if they need a roommate or if you can crash at their place for a bit while you try and find a place...

or start looking right now just incase...you can never be too prepared...

i know someone who was looking at places in 2 different states cause of the possibility of getting in off the waitlist at both schools during the summer.

I have been going through the same thing the last few weeks. I have been accepted to some schools, but waitlisted at my top choices. Every school has a different policy on what to do about fin. aid if you're waitlisted. You have to check with the individual schools. Some of them want you to fill out all the fin. aid info now (before April 1) just in case you get off the waitlist (ie. WashU). Others, want you to wait until you're accepted (ie. UMich).

In terms of looking for a place to live, narrow it down to a few schools relatively early and then just look for places in all relevant cities. I've heard and read that about 80-90% of waitlist movement occurs between mid-May and mid-June. Good luck.

Don't know if anyone's considered it as a viable means of paying for medical school, but the Army's Health Professions Scholarship Program provides you with a fully-funded way to go to school, regardless of which school you're planning on attending. Check out healthcare.army.mil if you're interested. If you want details, let me know!

I believe this subject came up at UofWash. A current student said he'd been accepted in very late (classes already started even), and that the school had emergency sources for situations just like his. UofWash has an excellent financial aid department.
It's probably different at each school, but I wouldn't be surprised if others had this safety in place as well.

Once they accept you, they will do everything in their power to fund you and pass you. There is a reason medical school students are such a great group to loan money to, a huge percentage of those that enter graduate. If they'll let you do things like retake tests to stay enrolled, they're not going to let finances stop you.

My .02 cents.

Thanks everyone! I appreciate it. Now hopefully I'll get off the damn waitlist.

As concerns the FAFSA, I would advise you fill it out now and add the school codes where you think you may be accepted or where you're waitlisted right now. You can always add/erase schools from the form when your situation changes and you know where you're going. I'm not sure what the FAFSA online web address is but just google "FAFSA" and it'll be the first link on the results page.

Good luck!