Waitlist at UCSF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gimpsd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with being waitlisted at UCSF? Any type of feedback will be much apprecieted. I'm looking for which number you were on the waitlist and what my chances are of getting in if I'm in the top 10.

Members don't see this ad.

I was waitlisted last year in the 40s... the last call for the waitlist I was no. 14.
I think you're in a good spot because I heard when you are in the top 20s you're pretty safe in getting in.
Hang in there :)

Members don't see this ad :)
flor said:
I was waitlisted last year in the 40s... the last call for the waitlist I was no. 14.
I think you're in a good spot because I heard when you are in the top 20s you're pretty safe in getting in.
Hang in there :)

When did you hear from them? How did you end up number 14 on the waitlist at the end? Did all those people ahead of you turn down UCSF? Thanks for your feedback. I'm so scared about what is going to happen. :scared:

I'm turning down SF so that's one spot you're moving up. =) Good luck!

I don't understand waitlisting. Sometimes the chances are really high, and other times low. I don't really know what determines this!

xnm11 said:
I'm turning down SF so that's one spot you're moving up. =) Good luck!

xnm11, can i ask why you are turning UCSF down?

i'm actually attending ucsd which i feel is just a better fit for me (geographically, weather-wise, etc.). that isn't to say that ucsf isn't a fantastic school (because it is), but after almost two weeks of heavy deliberation, i went with ucsd. =)

good luck to those people on the waitlist that are trying for ucsf!

Alright....one spot closer to getting in. This is torture. Atleast, I still have a chance of getting in.

:eek:

xnm11 said:
i'm actually attending ucsd which i feel is just a better fit for me (geographically, weather-wise, etc.). that isn't to say that ucsf isn't a fantastic school (because it is), but after almost two weeks of heavy deliberation, i went with ucsd. =)

good luck to those people on the waitlist that are trying for ucsf!

ditto, so another spot just opened up
best of luck :)

fidelio said:
I don't understand waitlisting. Sometimes the chances are really high, and other times low. I don't really know what determines this!

it really just depends on the year. sometimes they take a lot of people off the wait list, sometimes just a few. one year a lot of people decide to go to different schools, decide to not go to pharm school, etc. another year, maybe everyone accepts. theres no real reason or predictive values.

I've got a question.
Say someone gets accepted at the very very last minute. Say a week before UCSF Pharmacy school starts. What do the people who don't live in SF do? Does UCSF offer them housing from such short notice?

I'm just curious.

curious... are all the letters been sent out or they're still sending out some more acceptance/waitlist?

Members don't see this ad :)
DC1120 said:
curious... are all the letters been sent out or they're still sending out some more acceptance/waitlist?

I think they send out all letters by April 1st so they still may be sending out more this week.

Did anyone else on the waitlist recieve an email from Betbeze?

A while ago, Stacy Smit told me that all final decisions go out by March 27. Good lucks! :luck: :luck: :luck:

gimpsd said:
Did anyone else on the waitlist recieve an email from Betbeze?

Yes, I received an email yesterday outlining what the steps are when you are on the alternate list, which also included a timeline of when notifications of status (by snail-mail) and emails will be sent.

So did I. Just yesterday.

I can't believe we have to wait til August to know our positions.

I'm going insane. This wait is driving me completely bonkers. I wish they had just denied me outright. Everyday I run through the guantlet of emotions; sometimes I'm happy, sometimes I'm sad, other times I'm hopeful and then I'm angry and frustrated. I'm sure some supreme being is having a grand ol' time playing with my life....hopefully she dosen't squish me or my chances of getting in. I had a nightmare last night where I recieved a huge package from UCSF. As soon as I saw the package, I figured I was finally accepted and then I open up the package and out comes James Betbeze...I actually have never seen the guy, but I assumed the guy that stepped out of the package was him....and he says to me...."We only accepted 3 this year".....and then he starts to laugh hysterically. I woke up screaming "you can't do this to me". This caused my girlfriend to wake up and she sent me to sleep on the couch. Now my back hurts....This wait is killing me.

gimpsd said:
I'm going insane. This wait is driving me completely bonkers. I wish they had just denied me outright. Everyday I run through the guantlet of emotions; sometimes I'm happy, sometimes I'm sad, other times I'm hopeful and then I'm angry and frustrated. I'm sure some supreme being is having a grand ol' time playing with my life....hopefully she dosen't squish me or my chances of getting in. I had a nightmare last night where I recieved a huge package from UCSF. As soon as I saw the package, I figured I was finally accepted and then I open up the package and out comes James Betbeze...I actually have never seen the guy, but I assumed the guy that stepped out of the package was him....and he says to me...."We only accepted 3 this year".....and then he starts to laugh hysterically. I woke up screaming "you can't do this to me". This caused my girlfriend to wake up and she sent me to sleep on the couch. Now my back hurts....This wait is killing me.

:laugh: :laugh: I do know what he looks like and that just makes your dream even funnier :D

Don't worry, you'll get the letter any day now. Hang in there!

gimpsd said:

:( She kicked you out of bed? Awww...

gimpsd said:
I'm sure some supreme being is having a grand ol' time playing with my life....hopefully she dosen't squish me or my chances of getting in.

:laugh:

Don't loose hope, anything is possible! I was accepted 2 days AFTER the start of classes in September. This was after I had already received an email that the waistlist has been closed since classes had started. Never did I expect James to call me on Friday morning to let me know a spot had opened up.

shal said:
:laugh:

Don't loose hope, anything is possible! I was accepted 2 days AFTER the start of classes in September. This was after I had already received an email that the waistlist has been closed since classes had started. Never did I expect James to call me on Friday morning to let me know a spot had opened up.

Wow talk about short notice! Were you in SF or did you have to relocate at the last minute?

I was in the bay area but not close to SF. I commuted (1 1/2 hr each way) for the first quarter and then moved to campus housing. It was a tough decision to make due to the short notice.

A classmate of mine was accepted 1 week before start of classes so never loose hope!!

shal said:
A classmate of mine was accepted 1 week before start of classes so never loose hope!!

That must be Jason?

gimpsd said:
I had a nightmare last night where I recieved a huge package from UCSF.

Wow, a nightmare about UCSF? Dang, you've got it bad.

I was accepted but I really don't know how to feel about the place. I know I would get a great education, but, other than my interviewing professor and the student with him, I felt very little warmth from the people there. I am so confused! As an out-of-stater (from Florida), it will cost me about 160k to go there. I will give them a decision by May 1 so they can pull from the aitlist if possible. I am just waiting to hear ANYTHING from Texas.
Good luck!

As a matter of self interest....I'm pulling for either UT-Austin or UF!! :D :p

Anyone hear anything yet?

I am on the waitlist (above 20) and I was wondering how will the school contact me if I am offered a seat.

yurirori said:
I am on the waitlist (above 20) and I was wondering how will the school contact me if I am offered a seat.

I think they said that they will contact you by either phone or email. I think you only get a short amount of time to decide.

gimpsd said:
I think they said that they will contact you by either phone or email. I think you only get a short amount of time to decide.

Hmm. I think you may be right, but I asked a current student the same question and he said that I most likely receive a letter by mail offering a seat. So, now I am constantly checking my cell, my emails, and my reg mail b/c I'm not sure how I will get the news. :confused:

yurirori said:
Hmm. I think you may be right, but I asked a current student the same question and he said that I most likely receive a letter by mail offering a seat. So, now I am constantly checking my cell, my emails, and my reg mail b/c I'm not sure how I will get the news. :confused:

Last year, they called.

Does anyone know if they have started to take people off the waitlist yet?

RachGator said:
Does anyone know if they have started to take people off the waitlist yet?

Congratulations on your acceptance to UT Austin. I haven't heard anything yet and frankly I've about given up hope. Figure 3 years at Stockton, Ca won't be that bad. :thumbup:

gimpsd said:
Congratulations on your acceptance to UT Austin. I haven't heard anything yet and frankly I've about given up hope. Figure 3 years at Stockton, Ca won't be that bad. :thumbup:

Well, as soon as I can manage to verify my aid at Texas, I should be able to open up a spot. I am hoping that will be very soon. Keep the faith :luck: .

Anyone heard anything yet? The first update should have been mailed out yesterday.

gimpsd said:
Anyone heard anything yet? The first update should have been mailed out yesterday.

I haven't heard anything either. Are they mailing out by mail? And not email?

I just got the letter today.

So far only three from the waitlist has been accepted.

fidelio said:

what day is your letter dated?

fidelio said:

Actually, I don't think anyone has been accepted off the waitlist yet. I started at a sub-15 position, and after the first update letter (dated May 2), I am still sitting at the same position. Anyone who has moved up did so because people ahead of them have dropped off the wait-list.

roybears said:
Actually, I don't think anyone has been accepted off the waitlist yet. I started at a sub-15 position, and after the first update letter (dated May 2), I am still sitting at the same position. Anyone who has moved up did so because people ahead of them have dropped off the wait-list.

I too didn't move up any spots and mine was dated May 3. However, on May 8th I found out through a reliable source that three people had been accepted off the waitlist. Could be that all of this transpired after our letters were sent out. :confused:

gimpsd said:
I too didn't move up any spots and mine was dated May 3. However, on May 8th I found out through a reliable source that three people had been accepted off the waitlist. Could be that all of this transpired after our letters were sent out. :confused:

Hi, I got accepted off the waitlist, so I guess I'm one of the three people you are talking about. Like you I received a letter on the 10th dated May 3 saying that I was still on the waitlist at the same alternate number. But, later that day or the next I received an email asking if I wanted to accept the offer, which I did. All I can say is that I was on vacation at the time the offer came in so there was major confusion regarding whether I was still on the waitlist or not.

yurirori said:
Hi, I got accepted off the waitlist, so I guess I'm one of the three people you are talking about. Like you I received a letter on the 10th dated May 3 saying that I was still on the waitlist at the same alternate number. But, later that day or the next I received an email asking if I wanted to accept the offer, which I did. All I can say is that I was on vacation at the time the offer came in so there was major confusion regarding whether I was still on the waitlist or not.

How many days did you have to respond to the acceptance email?
(I'm going to be on a trip out of the country for a week.)

roybears said:
How many days did you have to respond to the acceptance email?
(I'm going to be on a trip out of the country for a week.)

Here's what my email says:

In addition to this notice, I will also attempt to reach you by phone. Either way, you must reply and accept this offer no later than 3 days from the date of this notice.

I suggesting checking your email and your voice mail as much as possible. ;)

yurirori said:
Here's what my email says:

In addition to this notice, I will also attempt to reach you by phone. Either way, you must reply and accept this offer no later than 3 days from the date of this notice.

I suggesting checking your email and your voice mail as much as possible. ;)

What number were you on the waitlist Yurirori?

i got in off the waitlist (original position #3). they called me last wednesday so theres definite movement on the waitlist. good luck to those still waiting.

gimpsd said:
What number were you on the waitlist Yurirori?

Original position on the waitlist was #2.

yurirori said:
Original position on the waitlist was #2.

6 more spots to go. Maybe....just maybe. :luck: :luck: