Waitlist blues.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Karine04

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I should post this here or the Pre-DO forum ...mods, please move it if it's more appropriate there.

Anyway: I received the dreaded "Alternate List" letter from PCOM today. I'm wondering how people deal with these things. I understand I may not know until June, July, or even a few days into orientation if I get in or not. I have a spot in another class, but I would MUCH rather go to PCOM. However, after a certain point in time, I will have to start looking for housing and such and just assume that I'm attending the other school, right? How much time should I allow to elapse before this occurs? What should I tell my significant other, who is going to be starting grad school in Philly in the fall? We were planning on getting a place together, but otherwise he's going to be living in grad housing at UPenn and he has to apply to get housing there by a certain date (not sure what that date is).

I fully intend to write another letter of intent and maybe make another phone call to the admissions people there, though I have no clue if that will make any difference at this point in time. My life just got a whole lot more complicated. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I got the wait list letter today (for Atlanta) and there are a number of things that I've read/been told about it. In my interview, the admissions committee made sure to tell me not to get discouraged with a wait list letter because in Philly last year, 55% of the wait list got into the school. Secondly, the 2003 year apparently took 100% of the wait list. So there's still a chance. Good luck.

Hey your going to be a doctor anyway right? :D Thats the most important thing.
As far as the relationship, bummer, but I don't know anyone who has emerged from school with their love lives intact, including quite a few marriages I can think of. We give it all up because being a doc is the most important thing to us and that's part of why we get so much trust when we are finished. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
If PCOM is where you truly want to go, then write letters of intent, write to your interviewers, send additional LOR, send additional test scores, grades, certifications, whatever you can. Be proactive and let them know how much you want to go there. I am in the same situation with CCOM, and I am not giving up. They will hopefully start calling people off the alternate lists after May 15th, when people have to let the MD schools know where they are going. Good luck!

I'm on the waitlist for Touro NV. I found out today they have 120 acceptances (paid to hold) and only 108 spots! There are 200 people on the waitlist. It won't be rated/ranked until June. Anyone have a general idea if there are 200, how many have not had other offers and how many are actively pursuing the school. They may have sent out 200 wait lists, but maybe only 20-30 are still available or interested?? I am now considering retaking the MCAt and gearing up for another round of applications. I'm bummed now. I hope there is a lot of movement. I have a great GPA 3.85, but a sucky MCAT.

For you guys who said 55% or 100% from the waitlist got in, did you mean the percent still available/wanting a spot? Was the class size big? I know at MCW almost everyone who wanted in from the wait list got a spot. But the class size was 200. And Allo schools have a ton of movement.

Marianne11 said:
I'm on the waitlist for Touro NV. I found out today they have 120 acceptances (paid to hold) and only 108 spots! There are 200 people on the waitlist. It won't be rated/ranked until June. Anyone have a general idea if there are 200, how many have not had other offers and how many are actively pursuing the school. They may have sent out 200 wait lists, but maybe only 20-30 are still available or interested?? I am now considering retaking the MCAt and gearing up for another round of applications. I'm bummed now. I hope there is a lot of movement. I have a great GPA 3.85, but a sucky MCAT.

For you guys who said 55% or 100% from the waitlist got in, did you mean the percent still available/wanting a spot? Was the class size big? I know at MCW almost everyone who wanted in from the wait list got a spot. But the class size was 200. And Allo schools have a ton of movement.

Who did you talk to marianne? Well kind of evil to take 120 people's money and only have 108 spots no? :smuggrin: Last year from what i hear most got in and some were offered early acceptance from the previous year waitlist from the vallejo campus (they had a choice to where to go and most went to CA i guess...something screwy like that. it was weird :laugh: ). Last year's class size was in the 80-90's...When did you interview? hope to see you this august :luck:

I don't think it's that uncommon to oversubscribe an entering class - they know that some people will drop their acceptances.

I'm also on PCOM's alternate list, but I'm not sure if I'm going to stay on it. I don't think I'd go unless they were able to match UMDNJ's tuition through grants/scholarships and I doubt they'd offer that great a package to someone from the alternate list.

Does anyone know the percentage of students pulled off of the UMDNJ-SOM wait list?

BMW19 said:
Already was in Pre-osteo?

Nope, I posted in the osteopathic forum because I was looking for logistical advice on when to give up hope and start looking for an apartment on Long Island (I've been accepted at NYCOM but on the alternate list at PCOM - would much rather attend PCOM). I guess I should've been more specific about the logistical part of my question, but it's fine that people are commisserating and discussing other waitlist questions.

Thanks everyone.

pmpndaflip said:
Who did you talk to marianne? Well kind of evil to take 120 people's money and only have 108 spots no? :smuggrin: Last year from what i hear most got in and some were offered early acceptance from the previous year waitlist from the vallejo campus (they had a choice to where to go and most went to CA i guess...something screwy like that. it was weird :laugh: ). Last year's class size was in the 80-90's...When did you interview? hope to see you this august :luck:

I spoke to Roger yesturday. He emailed me today, I emailed him the 200 waitlist question. He is estimating that 20-30 will come off the waitlist. Of course we all know that only a fraction of the 200 are still available. So it is looking good for us now. He also said they will be inviting 3 students from the waitlist to sit for orientation in case someone drops out. I can do that because I already live in Henderson. I just bought examkrackers to prepare for my August MCAT, now I may not need it. Well hopefully. :luck:

DrMom said:
moving to pre-osteo

This thread should return to Osteo. The OP, as well as the responders are hoping for current students, not pre-osteo, input as to how the wait list moved for their current class. Pre-osteos cannot answer our questions. We want real info from students who went through it and know the deal. Thanks!

To everyone on the PCOM alternate list, do NOT lose hope. Last year I was in your shoes, waiting for an acceptance. I was working full-time in clinical job and was doing my MPH. I kept faxing PCOM's admission office new grades and sending them new LOR's in the mail. I must have sent about 3-4 LOR's, 2 LOI's, numerous faxes of updated grad school grades, and repeated phone calls. I guess all the persistence paid off. I got a call from Ms. Tami Rice the Friday before Monday's orientation granting me admission...:) It was one of the happiest days of my life.

If you want to go to PCOM, let them know as much as possible. It really makes a difference. Good luck!