Waitlist Deferrment?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedStudentWanna

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In browsing the class threads, I notice that at least some schools have a waitlist where they guarantee acceptance for the next year's class if you don't get in. My question is if they guarantee an acceptance for the next year, can you just remove yourself from the waitlist for this year?

I read the VCOM thread and it says that if you're called off the waitlist, you must take it or lose your spot for 2010. Are all schools like this?

MSUCOM also does the guaranteed spot thing. I'm applying there this year so I know I'm jumping the gun, but I'm married and I hate the idea of being called at the very last minute to move across the country. I'm curious what would happen if I got a waitlist for the c/o 2014 with a guarantee for c/o 2015. Could I scrap the waitlist and wait for 2015?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd call the particular school and ask for their policy, although these things are subject to variations between year to year.

I know that Touro-NV does the guaranteed spot thing, but I think that's just for the couple of "stand-ins" off the high waitlist that they tell to come to orientation week, in case some people drop out of the class at the last minute. If the stand-ins aren't used in this year's class, they get a spot for next year. However, this doesn't really answer any of your questions because the waitlist for this year would already be null at that point. Just giving an example, since it's the only one I know of that comes close to addressing your questions.

I'd call the particular school and ask for their policy, although these things are subject to variations between year to year.

I know that Touro-NV does the guaranteed spot thing, but I think that's just for the couple of "stand-ins" off the high waitlist that they tell to come to orientation week, in case some people drop out of the class at the last minute. If the stand-ins aren't used in this year's class, they get a spot for next year. However, this doesn't really answer any of your questions because the waitlist for this year would already be null at that point. Just giving an example, since it's the only one I know of that comes close to addressing your questions.

:thumbup: Call them.

Members don't see this ad :)
When you are placed on the guarantee waitlist at MSU COM, you are given the option to automatically defer to the next year, then they remove your name from the waitlist because you chose that. I'm not sure about the other schools.

KCUMB also has the alternate list with guaranteed admission for the next year. I don't know if you can defer.

For WesternU, once you paid the non-refundable for accepted waitlist, you can choose to defer it directly to next year, or choose to stay on the list and wait for space this year. Even when you are called (for this year), at that point, you can still choose to defer until next year.

But yeah, you gotta make sure the policy for the school of interest.