Waitlist Experiences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dpthopeful14788

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was recently put on the waitlist at one of my top schools. While I am not totally losing hope, I am a bit discouraged. They said that they do not have any specific list, but instead will revisit all applicants on the waitlist when they hear back from students that they accepted. Does anyone have any experience with being waitlisted like this that can give me a transparent idea of what to expect? This is my first time applying so I really have no clue whether or not the chances of getting taken off is possible.

Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

I've been waitlisted by 4 schools last cycle, so I know the feeling. I would reach out the schools and see what can you improve on and be productive. You can only hope for the best and now it's in the hands of the school. I remembered feeling discouraged too, so I stayed active by volunteering virtually, retook the GRE and some classes as GPA boosters. Do what you can do so if worse comes to worse, then you'll be prepared for the next cycle.

Reactions: 3 users
I was waitlisted at 2 schools last year, rejected by 3, and I ended up getting into both schools I was waitlisted for. In a last-minute panic, I applied to Midwestern Downer's Grove and got asked for an interview in late February which I had declined because I was pulled off the waitlist to my top school the week before. Wash U STL was my top school. I was ranked extremely low on the waiting list, and I ended up getting accepted right before they stopped taking apps as a whole! Many of my friends that I have made in my program have said the same thing about how they felt they were really low on the waitlist but are here now! Don't stress because now it's in the school's hands to decide! I always had a good plan B in the event I didn't get accepted and that helped me keep the waiting anxiety at ease!
I hope this helps!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was also recently put on a waitlist for my top school. However, I have been accepted into other schools. The other schools deadline for accepting the spot is coming up soon and I was told that my top school will not be reaching out again about waitlists until after this deadline. Each school I have been accepted to has a nonrefundable deposit. I guess I am just looking for some advice on how I should handle this situation. Thanks everyone!

I was also recently put on a waitlist for my top school. However, I have been accepted into other schools. The other schools deadline for accepting the spot is coming up soon and I was told that my top school will not be reaching out again about waitlists until after this deadline. Each school I have been accepted to has a nonrefundable deposit. I guess I am just looking for some advice on how I should handle this situation. Thanks everyone!
I had a very similar experience, and as difficult as it is to just put down the deposit not knowing the outcome, it's definitely the best decision. I got accepted to a school in October and the program starts in January, so they needed the deposit very quickly. I had to put it down not knowing if I would get into other programs, and I ended up wasting the money because I got accepted to other schools that were higher on my list later on. I'm glad I did it though, considering I would have been stuck not being able to go to school at all if I hadn't gotten accepted later on. I guess you have to think about if it's worth it to wait a whole year to reapply in case you don't get pulled off the waitlist. Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi! I just got accepted to Midwestern University in IL, and I was originally waitlisted for this school. As for my experience, I honestly did not do anything. I did not follow-up and asked what place was I because they already informed us that they do not place applicants in any specific order. However, what I believe helped me stand out even after getting waitlisted was keeping in contact with a faculty member and her DPT students. She brought up research that she and her students presented, and I emailed her about it after my interview. Since then, I would email them here and there. So, I honestly think it would be best to just connect with the people at the school you are applying to. The more you talk to people there, the more many will recognize your name.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey! I am currently waitlisted at my top two schools and just received an offer of admission from another school. I know schools can see if you have accepted any offers on PTCAS, do you think it hurts your chances if you are on a waitlist but accept an offer just in case?

Hey! I am currently waitlisted at my top two schools and just received an offer of admission from another school. I know schools can see if you have accepted any offers on PTCAS, do you think it hurts your chances if you are on a waitlist but accept an offer just in case?
On the PTCAS site it says that schools that have you waitlisted won’t be able to see your admissions status at other schools. So I think you should be fine. I assume more applicants are doing the same thing now since many schools are no longer abiding by traffic rules

Reactions: 1 user
Google 'PTCAS Traffic Rules' to see when your status is shared with other schools.

Hey! hope everyone is doing well. I know today is the first-day deposits can be required therefore it is officially the first day people can formally accept spots or decline them legally. Do people expect to be pulled off the waitlist today or not until next week? I would think there would be some processing time and since it's a Friday it probably won't start happening until next week but I wanted to hear other people's thoughts.

Hey! hope everyone is doing well. I know today is the first-day deposits can be required therefore it is officially the first day people can formally accept spots or decline them legally. Do people expect to be pulled off the waitlist today or not until next week? I would think there would be some processing time and since it's a Friday it probably won't start happening until next week but I wanted to hear other people's thoughts.
Since Monday is a holiday and many schools are closed I’m not anticipating to hear back till at the earliest next Tuesday!

The school I was waitlisted to required written confirmation last friday and the deposit today. I got off the waitlist yesterday! I think they try to get to the waitlist as soon as they know who's denied their seat so they can fill the class asap.

I was waitlisted at two schools, both of whose deposit was due today. Heard back from one around 5pm that I was taken off and have yet to hear back from the other!