-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Waitlist Movement
Started by lilybug1
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Hey! I know there is a "waitlist survivor" thread but it doesn't have much activity. I was wondering if waitlists are still moving a bit/ will be moving a good bit into mid-summer? I don't know the typical trend and was just curious
I don't really know how the PACE of movement changes as summer goes on, but most schools have a series of deadlines as they make offers, so there's continued movement through summer. We had people start a week or two <after> school started.
Honestly, I have been thinking the same thing. If you look back to previous years compared to this year there's barely been movement.
It's very frustrating--- I'll keep my fingers crossed for both of us!!!
It's very frustrating--- I'll keep my fingers crossed for both of us!!!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Oh wow, was it hard for them to catch up, or did the school assist them a bit?I don't really know how the PACE of movement changes as summer goes on, but most schools have a series of deadlines as they make offers, so there's continued movement through summer. We had people start a week or two <after> school started.
Edit:
FWIW, the forum seems to be significantly quieter this year overall and quieter for the new cycle as well so far. For my first cycle, it seemed like there were hundreds of new applicants on the threads. This last cycle, not so much. Just because you aren't seeing movement being announced on here doesn't mean it's not happening!Honestly, I have been thinking the same thing. If you look back to previous years compared to this year there's barely been movement.
It's very frustrating--- I'll keep my fingers crossed for both of us!!!
not really, in my experience. Also, it;s still very early into the application process.significantly quieter this year overall
Yep, there's still plenty of time for movement. I was called off a waitlist in early July last year, so just try to keep busy and keep working away at improving your application in case you need to reapply. 🙂
It is super frustrating. Sometimes it would just be easier to hear a direct yes or no instead of playing the waiting game. I am #3 on my IS list and it hasn't moved to my knowledge between May and June. Trying to stay hopeful but it's tough sometimes.
It is super frustrating. Sometimes it would just be easier to hear a direct yes or no instead of playing the waiting game. I am #3 on my IS list and it hasn't moved to my knowledge between May and June. Trying to stay hopeful but it's tough sometimes.
You can always make it a no by withdrawing until next year and let someone else move up a spot if the waiting is too stressful.
You have a point there that I haven't thought about, LIS. Thanks 🙂
I'm still holding out hope but it's tough! I wanted to get an idea of whether or not lists have a trend and will start shifting at a point this summer. The school I'm waitlisted at advises to not inquire about your place on the list which gives me anxiety!
There is absolutely zero way to predict when/how the waitlists will move at any given school. Some years a particular school will barely touch a waitlist, others they burn through them quickly. No hard and fast date to expect movement by. Cyndia's advice is perfect.
You can always make it a no by withdrawing until next year and let someone else move up a spot if the waiting is too stressful.
I read that very sassy. lol.
I read that very sassy. lol.
Heh. Well. We all know I can be a bit snarky. I get that the waitlist is stressful and frustrating; not downplaying that. It was just my not-so-subtle way of saying "hey, at least you still have a shot - think about the people that got a 'no' and are dealing with the disappointment of outright rejection." You're ball is still in play when you're on the waitlist, and that's something to be positive about, not complain. At least, in my mind. I feel like complaining about being on the waitlist is super insensitive to the people who were rejected and have to wait until next year to have <any> chance.
That said, I'm not overtly criticizing the person to whom I responded. Like I said, I get that it's frustrating. Just.... try to view the positive side of it (that you still have a chance).
Totes agree with you. There is a silver linnig to everything if you look hard enough.
I look at many positive aspects of being waitlisted. What is difficult is getting your hopes too high and not getting that phone call day after day, week after week.
I have gotten to a point where I realize that life will pan out the way it's supposed to and that things will work out regardless.
I am sorry if I offended any people that were denied admission outright. That was certainly not my intent.
I have gotten to a point where I realize that life will pan out the way it's supposed to and that things will work out regardless.
I am sorry if I offended any people that were denied admission outright. That was certainly not my intent.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I look at many positive aspects of being waitlisted. What is difficult is getting your hopes too high and not getting that phone call day after day, week after week.
Yeah, it sucks. But it's really no different than when you were waiting for the first call or interview or whatever. 🙂 Cyndia's advice is the best: just keep busy using the time to get ready for the next application cycle. If you get in, great, you gained more experience. If you don't, you used the time wisely getting that much more experience for the next time. Either way, it's a win. And being busy will keep your mind off the waitlist. I was completely caught by surprise when my interview offer came because I just kept busy and forgot about it.