Waitlist Support Thread '20-21

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bananaboatsunblock

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently on two waitlists and am waiting to hear back from my third interview. Thought it would be nice to have this support thread to encourage one another since it's been very discouraging for me at least. Comment below if you're in a similar boat, and also feel free to comment when you receive good news

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Waitlisted at 4. Feels bad since it doesn't seem like waitlists (at least at my schools) are moving atm.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently on two waitlists and am waiting to hear back from my third interview. Thought it would be nice to have this support thread to encourage one another since it's been very discouraging for me at least. Comment below if you're in a similar boat, and also feel free to comment when you receive good news
Which schools are you waitlisted at?

Waitlisted at two schools in my second year applying, I'm pretty confident that I'll be taking another year, retaking the DAT, and doing more resume building. I'm sure most of us are used to academic success; all this rejection and uncertainty is driving me insane.

Reactions: 1 users
This is my second year applying. Sent out my application in July and waitlisted at 3 schools (OU, NOVA, LECOM) and recently interview at University of Maryland. Worked so hard for this. Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
Waitlisted at two schools in my second year applying, I'm pretty confident that I'll be taking another year, retaking the DAT, and doing more resume building. I'm sure most of us are used to academic success; all this rejection and uncertainty is driving me insane.
Exact same boat hang in there 😪

Waitlisted at Columbia and Penn, my two schools I need for Dental MBA 4+1's :(

waitlisted at 2, how do you guys find the strength to reapply? i feel like i have nothing left in me LOL

Reactions: 2 users
waitlisted at 2, how do you guys find the strength to reapply? i feel like i have nothing left in me LOL
Just take a little time off. Last cycle I felt like I had every ounce of energy knocked out of me I was crushed. But thankfully it’s still early and there’s a good amount of time before next cycle. So take the next few weeks to have fun, enjoy life, and do absolutely nothing med-school related. That’ll help to refresh you. Then after that you have to remind yourself why you wanna be a doctor, come up w a plan of attack, and foot back on the gas. My advice to you would be make sure you walk into the second cycle very prepared, bc i wasn’t and will now be applying a third cycle lol. Mainly because I held out hope to get off the WL for way too long. So it’s best to proceed as if those WL are R’s so that you can be prepared. But hopefully you are pleasantly surprised and find yourself turning one of those WL’s into an A. Best of luck!

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
so at this point of application cycle, all accepted students committed to 1 school. am i correct?

Schools can see if you’re holding spots at multiple schools and will ask you to pick. I think there might be some movement around April 1, around when second deposits are due.

second year applying, second time waitlisted. Y'all aint alone, okay??

if you applied late and got waitlisted with an 18 or 19AA DAT and are not confident you can score higher, is it smarter to just reapply next cycle early with the same DAT?

but if you applied late and got waitlisted, doesn't that mean your app was good enough for an interview but there just weren't enough spots available?

Applied to 17 schools. 7 interviews (4 pre december, 3 post December). 6 waitlists and 1 rejection after interview. (0 acceptances). Yup, you all read it right. Hate to see it. That 1 rejection was from the first school I interviewed at, and I was a huge mess. Learned from that mistake and improved my interview skills at my 6 subsequent interviews, but was still waitlisted. I was kind of surprised. Other than my first interview, I thought I really connected with all my interviewers during my interviews (after improving on them) This did a number on my pride :/

I will probably prepare for the DAT again around late April/early May, then reapply.

Applied to 17 schools. 7 interviews (4 pre december, 3 post December). 6 waitlists and 1 rejection after interview. (0 acceptances). Yup, you all read it right. Hate to see it. That 1 rejection was from the first school I interviewed at, and I was a huge mess. Learned from that mistake and improved my interview skills at my 6 subsequent interviews, but was still waitlisted. I was kind of surprised. Other than my first interview, I thought I really connected with all my interviewers during my interviews (after improving on them) This did a number on my pride :/

I will probably prepare for the DAT again around late April/early May, then reapply.
do you mind sharing stats? you’ll probably get an acceptance closer to when the schools start just keep reaching out

@shjdk1921 @2thfixer

My stats are 19 AA, 20 TS. 3.5 oGPA, 3.4 sGPA, and 3.6 bcpGPA. Not the best stats DAT wise (why I'm thinking about retaking the DAT) but at least it gives me a chance to improve my score. I think my personal statement and extracurriculars is what got me all those interviews. I've worked on my interview skills ever since my first interview (reached out to my university for feedback, asked friends, dentists, people with experience) so I am working on myself with feedback.

Rejected at Midwestern AZ, waitlisted at Roseman, UF, Nova, Maryland, MOSDOH, and LECOM.

Thank you guys for the encouragement. I've waited to hear from at least one school to email me since Dec 15, but the days turned into many months. What's hard is that the DAT is expensive and a huge time investment. It would be fine if I was on like 2 waitlist, so I can commit to the DAT because of a low chance of acceptance. However, 6 waitlists and a cynical brain really puts a needle in my thought process. I think I will go ahead and prepare for the DAT around the time I mentioned.

Did LECOM officially waitlist you? I also interviewed in early March but as far as I know, they don't have waitlist yet (but there will be alternate list soon)
No official waitlist, but I assumed so because I interviewed a while ago.

I am waitlisted at 2 schools and waiting to hear back from one more (likely waitlisted). You're in a good position, statistically speaking you will most likely get in. Schools are now just starting to touch their waitlists. Keep up the updates to schools and you'll be set. Best of luck to you

Has anyone had any luck this month with any waitlists? Is something special happening on May 15th? I heard something about not being able to hold two spots that day or something, but I also heard about it being on April 15th as well so I'm confused.

Has anyone had any luck this month with any waitlists? Is something special happening on May 15th? I heard something about not being able to hold two spots that day or something, but I also heard about it being on April 15th as well so I'm confused.
I’ve heard absolutely nothing about any waitlist movement from the two schools I’m waitlisted at. Really hoping to get off the waitlist at LECOM but I don’t think there’s been any movement

One of the schools that I applied to emailed me saying that I was next to be chosen on their waitlist two weeks ago. This had me very excited, but it has been 2 weeks of radio silence... has anyone been in this situation? Should I do anything (I think a letter of intent would not matter in this situation.)

This news basically made me cancel my restudying of the DAT and reapplication (which is dumb of me, but my motivation for retaking the exam again went out the window with this news)... but now I'm scared nobody will drop their seat. I'm so close. Does anyone know of this situation? Anyone know anyone who received a notification like this and was not admitted off the waitlist?

From what I have heard, this is a much more competitive year. I know at my school the average DAT went up 1.5 points and the GPA also went up.
I think the ability to zoom interview messed with the stats. Also, have more time to study for the DAT probably messed with them as well...

From what I have heard, this is a much more competitive year. I know at my school the average DAT went up 1.5 points and the GPA also went up.
I think the ability to zoom interview messed with the stats. Also, have more time to study for the DAT probably messed with them as well...
Lol great, my 19 DAT score is even more useless now

Lol great, my 19 DAT score is even more useless now
19 is definitely becoming a less competitive score unfortunately. People are learning how to take the test and utilize the study methods very efficiently. I got lucky to get in with a 20 😬

apply broad

Does anyone know sending multiple letters of intent to one school will do something at this point? I've already sent one to this school, haven't heard back anything for a while so I'm struggling whether to reach out to them with another letter of intent.

Thanks in advance!

Does anyone know sending multiple letters of intent to one school will do something at this point? I've already sent one to this school, haven't heard back anything for a while so I'm struggling whether to reach out to them with another letter of intent.

Thanks in advance!
I don't think so. Many, if not all, classes should be full by now, so we're just waiting on people to drop :(. They should already have your letter, and if anything, they'd just say "thank you for your letter and continued interest."

I don't understand what is going on this cycle. Schools like LECOM and NYU that usually have high turnover rates on the waitlist has not seen much movement (very dead class of 2025 threads and facebook). It could also mean people are not posting on SDN this year, but it seems like there is no point of the waitlist this year. Are schools sending out waitlist offers in waves this cycle?

I don't understand what is going on this cycle. Schools like LECOM and NYU that usually have high turnover rates on the waitlist has not seen much movement (very dead class of 2025 threads and facebook). It could also mean people are not posting on SDN this year, but it seems like there is no point of the waitlist this year. Are schools sending out waitlist offers in waves this cycle?
i agree, but also feel that more people are holding multiple acceptances and won’t decide on their school until it’s close to the start of class- just a theory

i agree, but also feel that more people are holding multiple acceptances and won’t decide on their school until it’s close to the start of class- just a theory
Are they allowed to right now? I remember the ADEA would report the people that are holding to multiple acceptances to the schools, but am not sure if they are forced to choose one or the other on a specific day. Can a person theoretically get 3 acceptances and different times, pay all 3 deposits, and just hold on to them until all the classes start?

Are they allowed to right now? I remember the ADEA would report the people that are holding to multiple acceptances to the schools, but am not sure if they are forced to choose one or the other on a specific day. Can a person theoretically get 3 acceptances and different times, pay all 3 deposits, and just hold on to them until all the classes start?
i honestly dont know, i heard schools can see but cant make you pick one. but again, i have no idea- this cycle has been different from previous years.

no

THANK YOU! Someone finally said it! I really don’t understand what’s going on this cycle either. Normally there’s a ton of waitlist movement from LECOM but of course the year I apply and get waitlisted there’s no movement at all 😑 What was the point of even making the waitlist if no one is going to be accepted off of it? They should’ve just rejected us, I’m sick of all the false hope it’s debilitating

I've already reapplied. I know the chances of getting off the waitlist is like winning the lottery at this moment. Do people actually drop seats during orientation week? I keep on seeing stories like those, but I don't know why people would do this. They could be no shows, but I'm curious on this matter.

I've already reapplied. I know the chances of getting off the waitlist is like winning the lottery at this moment. Do people actually drop seats during orientation week? I keep on seeing stories like those, but I don't know why people would do this. They could be no shows, but I'm curious on this matter.
it happens, but rarely
i think these spots open up when the applicant gets cold feet/lets anxiety get the best of them
or health/personal/family reasons...