Waitlist, Waitlist,oh Woe

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

etztamar22

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got interviews at five schools, and unfortunately got waitlisted from four of them. I still haven't gone on the fifth interview. I have wanted to be a doctor all my life, and a DO for several years, and I just feel so dejected and almost ready to give up. I am 25 years-old, am already an OT and I do want this, but the whole process of taking the MCATS, applying, travelling all over the country for interviews, taking off time from work to do that, and then to get waitlisted from 4 out of 5 schools, one of them being my top choice (NOVA) has just downright drained and depressed me....the thought of reapplying and going through this all over again downright depresses me. I'd probably do it, but not for a while...can anyone please help me? I just need a few positive stories of people getting off waitlists or people going through the hell I am going through to perk my spirits up a bit, because I almost feel like giving up, and I don't want to let that happen. I have worked so hard to get to this point and really do want to be a dr.

Members don't see this ad.

Were you accepted to the fifth school?

etztamar22,

I am going through the same thing. I had a few interviews and were waitlist at each. I have always wanted to be a doctor too. I know it sucks, but I try to look at it like this, they must have liked me or they wouldn't have waitlisted me or even have interviewed me. You have beat out thousands of people to get an interview so you are doing something right. Just keep your head up and just pray that you get off a waitlist. I'm in the process of studying for my MCATs for the third time so I feel a little down and depressed too. Just try to stay positive.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey etztamar22 and Smile80,

Never give up if this is really what you want to do for the rest of your life. I am going to PM you etztamar22. Smile80, feel free to contact me if you would like some encouragement. I am serious, waitlist does not equal automatic rejections. Waitlists can be a good thing as well.

Aaron

Originally posted by (nicedream)
Were you accepted to the fifth school?

"I still haven't gone on the fifth interview..."

I am sorry you haven't cleared any of those waitlists yet. There is still time, so don't throw in the towel quite yet.

If the worst happens and you are left with no seat, DON'T GIVE UP. It is different from year to year. I would call the schools and ask the dean of admissions to go over your application and see where you were lacking and talk to them about improving your chances. They are more than willing to do that for you.

If you can work on those areas, then by all means do so. Otherwise look for something you could do to improve another area that may help over shadow the lacking area. It may just be that there were a lot of applicants this year and they couldn't take them all. It could be that your personal essay doesn't convey well enough why you want to be a DO. Or it could be your interviews weren't the best they could be. Perhaps more in front of a mirror rehersals are needed.

My point is if you have been waitlisted at 4 schools, you obvious are good enough to get that far and maybe just need something to push you over the edge to get the acceptance you so desire.

Wait until it is all over before you give up.

This was my second year to apply. I changed nothing except my personal statement and got more interview invites and acceptances than I did the first time. So I really think it is subjective to the year you are applying.

Don't give up!!!!!!! Good luck and knock them dead at your 5th interview.

etztamar22,
Have you written a letter of interest/intent to NSU-COM?? If not, you should really do so. Let them know what it would mean to you to be a part of Nova's class next fall. If you can address it directly to the dean and maybe even send an extra copy to the admissions office in general. It couldn't hurt you by any means, and hopefully it will bump you up on the waitlist.

What are you stats? Are they competitive?

etztamar22, i called dr. chaffin at NSU this afternoon, and he told me that i'm not going to hear about movement on the waitlist until may 21st or after because that's when the next round of deposits are due. sorry if this doesn't make you feel any better, but the way i look at it is that "wait a little longer" is a better answer to hear than "no, you're not accepted." we're both hanging in there waiting for an answer from NSU (i just hope there aren't TOO many others waiting with us!) good luck to you, and keep me posted if you hear good news from them!

Dont give up man. Most schools are still interviewing through the end of March. So the waitlists cant possibly start moving until they fill the last of the available seats.

Originally posted by jmv10
etztamar22, i called dr. chaffin at NSU this afternoon, and he told me that i'm not going to hear about movement on the waitlist until may 21st or after because that's when the next round of deposits are due. sorry if this doesn't make you feel any better, but the way i look at it is that "wait a little longer" is a better answer to hear than "no, you're not accepted." we're both hanging in there waiting for an answer from NSU (i just hope there aren't TOO many others waiting with us!) good luck to you, and keep me posted if you hear good news from them!

Dr. Chaffin is a really nice guy, even if he reminds me of Mr. Rodgers. I wouldn't start worring about waitlist untill May has come and gone. Its the nature of the beast. I would assume there are many people that are waiting to hear from other schools before finalizing their answers. Start drinking the pepto in July.