Waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

giguerex35

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
just got waitlisted at acom. How do I get off. Specifically, what are the rules regarding a letter of intent, when should I update them on grades for the current fall semester (midterm and final grades or just final grades) will any of this actually make a difference, anything else that could be of use. Thanks for the help

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
What were you expecting? Just be patient and find solace in the fact that ~50% of DO classes are filled off the waitlist.

Reactions: 4 users
What were you expecting? Just be patient and find solace in the fact that ~50% of DO classes are filled off the waitlist.
I was expecting answers or suggestions to the questions I asked. I clearly understand there's not going to be movement until much later I was simply asking what can I do to better my chance of me being one of the people chosen off the waitlist

just got waitlisted at acom. How do I get off. Specifically, what are the rules regarding a letter of intent, when should I update them on grades for the current fall semester (midterm and final grades or just final grades) will any of this actually make a difference, anything else that could be of use. Thanks for the help
I would save the letter of intent until next year and save the update letter for after final grades. Don't send an update letter if there is nothing significant to update them on. Was this waitlist post interview? Like anatomy said just be patient it is still early in the cycle

I would save the letter of intent until next year and save the update letter for after final grades. Don't send an update letter if there is nothing significant to update them on. Was this waitlist post interview? Like anatomy said just be patient it is still early in the cycle
Ya it was post interview and ok thanks for the answers

Look at last year's thread. See who was accepted off the wait-list, and find out what they did.

contact admissions and ask for feedback, work to improve whatever they identified, update and loi upon improval, profit.

Nothing is going to get you off the waitlist except maybe a seven figure donation check.

Sorry, but there is NOTHING you can do now, but wait.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't know the specifics of ACOMs acceptance/class size ratio but I can tell you that both schools I interviewed at pull heavily from the waitlist. ARCOM last year ended up accepting every single waitlist applicant. AACOM does not allow schools to give out more acceptances than seats available and ACOM does not require a deposit until December 15th so they can only give out 150 acceptances before then. With most DO schools only have 1 matriculant per 2.5 acceptances offered, there will be less than 60 seats filled by then. The majority of interviews are conducted before December meaning that the majority of their 90 empty seats will be filled from the waitlist. A DO waitlist is much easier to get off than MD as DO schools are offering acceptances to students who may eventually take an MD acceptance.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm going against the grain here. I was waitlisted and never got pulled. Start thinking plan B.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going against the grain here. I was waitlisted and never got pulled. Start thinking plan B.

+1 Interviewed in August. Sent multiple F/u emails until I received my first acceptance in November. Got zero feedback from admissions.

All you can do OP is learn from the mistakes you made in this interview. You were one of the first interview groups in a long interview cycle so if you could not secure an acceptance this early then you need to make changes.

Talk to friends/family about your demeanor. If you have a chill boss would suggest talking to them and they can possibly critique you in a professional setting. Make changes to how you prepared for your next incoming interview.

Speaking from experience here OP. I was convinced I was the greatest interviewer until I had zero acceptances after 4 interviews (All in July-November).

How did you answer ACOMs professionalism questions during the interview portion. They really value professionalism. If you answered that question poorly then that’s prob why you were waitlisted

Can’t do anything now but wait. Are you from AL?

How did you answer ACOMs professionalism questions during the interview portion. They really value professionalism. If you answered that question poorly then that’s prob why you were waitlisted
i think i handled the interview just fine to be honest i think it was my mcat that was holding me back i am not from AL but have just about as strong as ties can be to the state as i did undergrad there have family all over the state etc.

Contrary to the popular consensus on SND, grades very much still matter after the interview.

To paraphrase the sage Jedi wisdom of @Goro " I've had Adcom say 'nice guy/gal, but that MCAT/GPA concerns me' and onto the waitlist they go"

i think i handled the interview just fine to be honest i think it was my mcat that was holding me back i am not from AL but have just about as strong as ties can be to the state as i did undergrad there have family all over the state etc.

Reactions: 5 users
Contrary to the popular consensus on SND, grades very much still matter after the interview.

To paraphrase the sage Jedi wisdom of @Goro " I've had Adcom say 'nice guy/gal, but that MCAT/GPA concerns me' and onto the waitlist they go"
ya makes sense. i have a feeling that is what happened to me, and the reason i started this thread was to find a way to minimize their concern after being put on the waitlist not to literally "get off right now" but better my chance to get off eventually. specifically to find out if updating with 20 credits of all As and doubling clinical volunteering with a LOR and LOI would make a difference or if it is just a waste of time. Thanks for the response tho.

LOI is a waste of time. It's a non binding grovel essentially.

20 credits of As, depending on if they are heavy sciences might get their attention. Worth it to update with that.

Clinical volunteering, I mean, they already know you have it, so it already was factored into the decision.

Give it until next year to update (like January 2018) if you do indeed have 20 credits of As. Although don't expect too much, DO schools are getting pickier about mcat. It's a very competitive cycle.

ya makes sense. i have a feeling that is what happened to me, and the reason i started this thread was to find a way to minimize their concern after being put on the waitlist not to literally "get off right now" but better my chance to get off eventually. specifically to find out if updating with 20 credits of all As and doubling clinical volunteering with a LOR and LOI would make a difference or if it is just a waste of time. Thanks for the response tho.

Also, idk what your Mcat is, but if you are below a 498, know that while you may get off the WL, I would start looking into backups. I know people who applied to my school with 3.6 GPA 498 mcat and were strait out rejected.

Look at post baccs, look at mcat retake, look at podiatry, not nessecarly in that order. It's just simply everyone and their dog wants medical school. I mean, what else are you gonna do with a useless bio degree?

Also, idk what your Mcat is, but if you are below a 498, know that while you may get off the WL, I would start looking into backups. I know people who applied to my school with 3.6 GPA 498 mcat and were strait out rejected.

Look at post baccs, look at mcat retake, look at podiatry, not nessecarly in that order. It's just simply everyone and their dog wants medical school. I mean, what else are you gonna do with a useless bio degree?
Ok appreciate it. If everything else in my app is fine but mcat do you think I should just retake it or should I do a post bacc or smp as well?

Ok appreciate it. If everything else in my app is fine but mcat do you think I should just retake it or should I do a post bacc or smp as well?

Just to note, it is good to take into context the fact that Gypsy is a pod student who tends to be a bit dramatic about DO admissions. While their advice is something to consider, it does come with a little bit of bias (as does all of ours frankly).

I am actually not a pod student. I was accepted to pod school, but ended up going DO.

Pod school is a good alternative to those who can't get into DO or MD school and still wanna be in the medical field tho. Better hours than most surgical fields too.

Plus, pre pod students tend to be really down to earth and chill compared to other pre meds.

Just to note, it is good to take into context the fact that Gypsy is a pod student who tends to be a bit dramatic about DO admissions. While their advice is something to consider, it does come with a little bit of bias (as does all of ours frankly).

Reactions: 2 users
I would take a year to retake. If you can't get above the 500 mark, start looking into postbaccs. I recommend VCOM and LECOM because they have auto acceptances if you can get a high enough GPA. Liberty does too, but for some reason everyone on SDN treats that school like the Ebola virus.

I would take a year to retake. If you can't get above the 500 mark, start looking into postbaccs. I recommend VCOM and LECOM because they have auto acceptances if you can get a high enough GPA. Liberty does too, but for some reason everyone on SDN treats that school like the Ebola virus.
Appreciate it

I am actually not a pod student. I was accepted to pod school, but ended up going DO.

Pod school is a good alternative to those who can't get into DO or MD school and still wanna be in the medical field tho. Better hours than most surgical fields too.

Plus, pre pod students tend to be really down to earth and chill compared to other pre meds.
I like that unbiased and objective look at things.

Well congrats, last I saw you were going to go to pod school. And I do agree with this.

It's also important to note too while a vast majority of pod students choose pod school because it was their only option after getting a bio degree/masters and not getting into Med school and can't stand the prospects of pharmacy school (prolly 60%) a solid minority actually choose pod over DO school (around 20-30%) because of the surgery aspect, which is far less certain for Osteopathic graduates, unless you are top dog. I would say the remaining 10% of the class does pod school because they had a mentor who was a pod and wanted to do it since they were little.

I met people on the interview trail who had been accepted to DO school but were interviewing at the top pod schools hoping to get into pod.

Anouther thing to note that while I have seen people turn down DO acceptances for Pod, I have never seen someone turn down a MD acceptance for pod.

Deff take a look at it. Pod schools are ridiculously easy to get into if you have a GPA above a 3.1 and an MCAT above a 492ish.

Also, no shelf exams 3rd and 4th year. And Boards are pass fail cuz everyone knows what specialty they are going to be matching into.

People may ask "what's the catch it everything seems so good?" Well, that's anouther nice thing, we know the catch. It's bright in neon lettering. You gotta deal with feet, ankles, and the occasional leg problem.

And deff shadow! I was super dismissive pod pods till I did. I always thought they were like 3rd rate doctors till I shadowed one and actually see what they did. They are physicians and surgeons through and through. They order labs, they drain pus, they remove foreign bodies, they hammer joints and fuse them together.

"High class" nerosurgeons, orthopedic doctors, cardiothroastric surgeon doctors might look down on you, but they would have done that if you had gone into a less prestigious field anyway.

Well congrats, last I saw you were going to go to pod school. And I do agree with this.