Waitlist!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

member147

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I got my first answer from any medical school and it was a wait list. Which at first prompted me to be quite upset being that I thought the interview went well.

So my question is, can anyone who reads let me know if either they were wait listed, then accepted or how many other people they know were? As well, any advice about how to go from waiting to accepted. I have read a lot about that so that part is not as important. More so, how many people. I really want to weight my options now.

By the way, the school I got wait listed at was PCOM.

Thanks for taking the time to read/help.

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, I got my first answer from any medical school and it was a wait list. Which at first prompted me to be quite upset being that I thought the interview went well.

So my question is, can anyone who reads let me know if either they were wait listed, then accepted or how many other people they know were? As well, any advice about how to go from waiting to accepted. I have read a lot about that so that part is not as important. More so, how many people. I really want to weight my options now.

By the way, the school I got wait listed at was PCOM.

Thanks for taking the time to read/help.

Don't be upset. Waitlist right now means "You're good enough but it's late in the cycle and that means we only have a few seats left so we're being extra picky." Don't take it as a knock on you, take it as a knock on your application timeline.

Whether you'll get off the list all depends on where you sit on the list (if PCOM ranks people by grades/etc or just by when you applied) and how much the list moves. From my experience and what I've read, list movement can vary from year to year. I imagine PCOM would have less movement because it's a solid school and most people wouldn't turn down an acceptance...but then again you never know, there's a billion variables. That said, letters of intent are never a bad idea, as one admissions lady told me. Keep those fingers crossed and update them on anything you're doing (MCAT retake/volunteering/etc)

Good luck, hope you get in.

PS PCOM, good job!

Don't be upset. Waitlist right now means "You're good enough but it's late in the cycle and that means we only have a few seats left so we're being extra picky." Don't take it as a knock on you, take it as a knock on your application timeline.

Whether you'll get off the list all depends on where you sit on the list (if PCOM ranks people by grades/etc or just by when you applied) and how much the list moves. From my experience and what I've read, list movement can vary from year to year. I imagine PCOM would have less movement because it's a solid school and most people wouldn't turn down an acceptance...but then again you never know, there's a billion variables. That said, letters of intent are never a bad idea, as one admissions lady told me. Keep those fingers crossed and update them on anything you're doing (MCAT retake/volunteering/etc)

Good luck, hope you get in.

PS PCOM, good job!

Thanks. I was pretty excited that I even got an interview there. I called the school to try to get more information as to whether or not they can update me on my place and whatnot but all I got was a voicemail. But thanks for the words of wisdom and I intend on typing up a letter soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
Send PCOM a LOI explaining why you are a good fit for the school and what you can bring to the class of 2016. There should be a tiny bit of movement on the waitlist at PCOM because some of the students accepted there usually withdraw to attend a MD school.

I hope you get in because PCOM is arguably the top DO school.

Don't be upset. Waitlist right now means "You're good enough but it's late in the cycle and that means we only have a few seats left so we're being extra picky."

+1

At this point a wait list means Yes, we want you... but we don't have a seat.

VERY GOOD NEWS FOR YOU.

A second $1500 deposit is due for accepted students April 15, only a $250 was due at acceptance. There will be a lot of wait list movement after 4/15 as people who were holding a spot but have plans to go elsewhere don't send in that money.

Good luck.

Source on deposit info: http://www.pcom.edu/Admissions/adm_app_process/adm_DO/adm_do.html Under "Admission Decision" heading

Thanks. I did not think of the deposit part when I thought of it. But, I will definately type up that letter and get it sent out soon. I really appreciate the help everyone.