Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Waitlisted...advice please

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by xxukxx, Mar 23, 2007.

1. xxukxx

Medical Student
    I just found out I'm waitlisted at UMDNJ, my first choice. I was wondering what I could do to help out my case. Does a letter of intent really help, and if so what does it usually include? I'm thinking of sending in another LOR and an updated transcript? Anything else I should do? This is the one school I really wanted to get into and now I'm completely lost :confused: Thanks!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Protease

Protease Member

Letter of intent will NOT hurt your chances, therefore I recommend you write one, especially since this school is your #1 choice.

What to write?

State that umdnj is your number one choice, elaborate why. You may include why its better by comparing it to all the other DO schools you applied. For example, of all institutions umdnj is my number one choice because the academics are the finest amongst all osteopathic schools. By integrating the curriculum with intensive patient exposures, I feel will best prepare me for clincal rotations than any other DO school. Hence, I need not say more, now where do I sign my acceptance letter. (Dont Use this last sentence).

Keep the letter short, about one page, size 12 font, single spaced or double spaced, either one is fine.

If you have done something worth mentioning since your application mention it. If you have to ask yourself 'should I say I did so so' then most likely its not worth saying it.

Good luck.

4. Buckeye4life

Buckeye4life DO, MPT

Resident [Any Field]
    Protease, your signature is "wide!!" Advantage, Buckeye.

5. 122206DO

I think LOI is your weapon of choice...Do you know any faculty members on admissions? If so it can only help you to go speak to them. At this point, if I were you, I'd go and be the annoying applicant, meaning call them at least weekly, see the adm director, see if you can shadow a student for the day, try and get yourself on campus as much as possible. You need to show that you want it more than anyone else, and the best way to do that is to be sincerely annoying...

6. lala83

lala83 Member

Medical Student
    i've been told that if you're waitlisted you should call the office often and talk to the admissions officers, but i ran out of things to ask for/talk about! aside from checking on your status, asking if there are any updates you can send, and submitting a letter of intent, i'm running out of things to say! i just want to show interest without annoying them.

7. DoctorMom78

DoctorMom78 Sky Glory

Medical Student
    Send the letter and stay in touch. Don't let them forget about you. I thought that they had a point system that they used, but I don't know much about that school. Good luck!!!:luck: :luck: :luck:

8. arsenewenger

Post Doc

9. xxukxx

Medical Student
    Thank you all for the help, I'm going to get the letter out tomorrow. I had one more question though, about my updated transcript. Can I send it directly to the schools or do I need to send it to AACOMAS first? Thanks!

10. DoctorMom78

DoctorMom78 Sky Glory

Medical Student
    I think you need to send it to AACOMAS first. :luck:

11. cmoney77

Non-Student
    xxukxx-
    You'll probably need to call the school and ask about how to send transcripts. I am on three waitlists (tear), and I was able to send updated transcripts to all of them directly and not through AACOMAS. But call just to doublecheck. Sending them directly will save a lot of time.

12. pineapple

pineapple Guest

Medical Student
    I don't think a LOI makes much of a difference there because they work on a point system. You can't get points for a LOI, or at least not that I've heard of. Couldn't hurt to send one, though!

With UMDNJ the really helpful thing is anything that can bump up your number of points. So if your GPA goes up resubmit your transcripts to AACOMAS. Or get another LOR if you were missing one or something.

13. El Chupacabra

El Chupacabra Member

quick question. I too reside in the abyss of a waitlist at my top choice school. I have sent a LOI, and additionally have a co-worker that is willing to write an additional "character" (i.e. non-medical) letter of recommedation; however, he is a chiropractor. Share with me your thoughts...:thumbup: :thumbdown:

14. Tiagao

Tiagao Member

Chupacabra,

Fala portugues?

15. El Chupacabra

El Chupacabra Member

nao falo (actually looked up what the hell that meant).

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. Tiagao

Tiagao Member

The only place I have ever heard chupacabra was in Brazil, so I had to ask.:D

18. xxukxx

Medical Student
    cmoney77- I just called UMDNJ, they said I should send the transcripts both ways, thru AACOMAS and mail it in directly to them. I feel you pain, I'm waitlisted at two schools and haven't heard anything from 5 others :(

19. El Chupacabra

El Chupacabra Member

the myth of the goat sucker reigns in many latin countries

20. arsenewenger

Post Doc
    The best thing is to send it directly to them,after that you should call them to see if they received the mail you sent them. This is what i did and i am a proud owner of a Paula Watkins signed acceptance letter.

Don't even bother with AACOMAS. Your transcripts goes directly into your admissions file.