Waitlisted for an Interview- What to make of It

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Snacker

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question-

If you're put on a "waitlist", is it worth interviewing there? Does this mean that they are just 'sort of ' interested in you? I'm deciding whether to spend $400 to go to an interview with a program I love but who waitlisted me. Do I even have a shot there? Can one make a big enough impression during an interview to be bumped up high enough on a ranklist if the program's initial impression is that you're "waitlist" material?

Love to hear some thoughts on this

Members don't see this ad.

Snacker said:
Question-

If you're put on a "waitlist", is it worth interviewing there? Does this mean that they are just 'sort of ' interested in you? I'm deciding whether to spend $400 to go to an interview with a program I love but who waitlisted me. Do I even have a shot there? Can one make a big enough impression during an interview to be bumped up high enough on a ranklist if the program's initial impression is that you're "waitlist" material?

Love to hear some thoughts on this

I'm in the same boat as you. Honestly, I think if you get an interview after being waitlisted, you're on equal footing with the other interviewees. At least that's the optimistic view I'm taking. :D

It doesn't necessarily mean that they're not that interested. You may have completed your application late and all interview offers have been made and they're waiting for cancellations, or perhaps they don't think you're that interested in their program. There are a lot of reasons you can be waitlisted besides lack of interest. Certainly though lack of interest is a reason in itself.

If they waitlist you it means you've got a shot. I would definitely call them to find out the status of your waitlist. What you're really doing is showing them that you're interested in the program and you may get another interview.

I was waitlisted by two programs, and managed to get an interview at one of them by calling.