Waitlisted.. how do I improve my application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iohchang

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was placed on the alternate list for MWU-IL and haven't heard back from ASDOH. In Midwestern's notification letter, it says to continue to update the school to help make my application more competitive. I'm not really sure what I would email them besides a letter of intent. I graduated in 2016 and have been working full-time at a clinical research startup. I'm not volunteering or doing anything dental related atm -- is there any point to start looking for some more experience right now to add to my resume? I wasn't planning on quitting my job because I am anticipating getting into school and starting in the fall, so it seems unreasonable for me to look for a position in a dental office. I finished all my pre-reqs, so there's no update on grades. DAT score is pretty solid, so that's set in stone. Would asking someone to write a LOR serve any help?? I'd appreciate any constructive thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Volunteering or shadowing in that time I feel would be the only thing you could add to your application to update it for your situation. How much weight a few more shadowing/volunteering hours would add to a waitlist rank is probably negligible in my opinion. I was also waitlisted at a school and they sent a similar message. I took it as if it was directed at those who are still in school or who are retaking the DAT to strengthen their application academically.

A letter of intent may help, but I'm personally not sending one. I believe my intent to go to the school was apparent when I chose to apply to their school.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm in the same boat, also got waitlisted from the same school and have been working two jobs (1 start up and 1 full time at a private dental research lab). Only thing is I haven't taken A&P and was not planning to unless I was accepted. I'm not sure how they rank the list, but maybe keep in correspondence with them constantly.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm in the same boat, also got waitlisted from the same school and have been working two jobs (1 start up and 1 full time at a private dental research lab). Only thing is I haven't taken A&P and was not planning to unless I was accepted. I'm not sure how they rank the list, but maybe keep in correspondence with them constantly.
Are you planning on sending a letter of intent?