Waitlisted, when should I submit my new app

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GujuMD

1K member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been waitlisted and the school doesn't rank the waitlist. I am working on my new application right now. When should I submit the application? I don't want to spend money on application if in the end I get accepted from the waitlist. at the same time, i don't want to apply late. What have people done in the past?

Members don't see this ad.

GujuMD said:
I've been waitlisted and the school doesn't rank the waitlist. I am working on my new application right now. When should I submit the application? I don't want to spend money on application if in the end I get accepted from the waitlist. at the same time, i don't want to apply late. What have people done in the past?

Hi there,
It is now very, very late in terms of acceptances even for schools with rolling admissions. Submit your AMCAS as soon as you get it ready. The key point is that you need to have done something to improve your application be it getting new LORs, taking another class, re-taking MCAT, re-writing your personal statement. This is especially true if you are re-applying to the same schools.

If you get accepted and lose the money for submitting the application, you are still accepted. The odds of that happening now are very, very slim. Most people who are on unranked waitlists have been notified at this point if they are likely to be accepted. They are generally told that the class is full but that they are on the bubble if someone has an emergency that would prevent them from starting with the fall class. This would only affect one or two students.

As long as you submit AMCAS before the third week in July, you should be fine. You could hold out until then because it would be very, very unlikely that you are going to be accepted off the waitlist after the third week in July as most schools start orientation that week to the second week in August.

The early applicants have the most significant advantages at schools with non-rolling applications. If you have applied to non-rolling schools, then again, submitting by the third week in July should not be much of a problem unless you have made a mistake that delays AMCAS certification. Even with that, most non-rolling schools have late November/Early December application deadlines so you are still OK.

If you have done something that makes your application more competitive and you were waitlisted before, you stand a good chance of getting in on this cycle.

Good luck!
njbmd :)