Waitlists and acceptance for DPT odds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ptbound2

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Early on, the 2nd program i interviewee with, accepted me, but gave me a short deadline (few days) and I had to accept or be passed over. Now I have been waitlisted for several other programs; including my top choice. I know they can see my status through PTCAS, and I’m concerned that I’ll be passed over because I was forced to accept this first program. I couldn’t afford to pass up a sure thing acceptance, when I hadn’t had any other invitations for interviews at that time. Anyone experience this or have any advice? Should I contact the schools I’ve been waitlisted on and let them know why I selected so soon?

Members don't see this ad.

I believe programs that have waitlisted you can’t see your acceptances. Only programs that have actually accepted you can.

“Any PTCAS program that offers you acceptance will have access to the number of acceptance offers you have received from other programs and the number of other offers you accepted”

Also, are you not ranked on your waitlists?
If you are and your number comes up you're offered a seat regardless of other acceptances.

I believe programs that have waitlisted you can’t see your acceptances. Only programs that have actually accepted you can.

“Any PTCAS program that offers you acceptance will have access to the number of acceptance offers you have received from other programs and the number of other offers you accepted”

Also, are you not ranked on your waitlists?
If you are and your number comes up you're offered a seat regardless of other acceptances.

I’ve contacted TX state and they confirmed that if a student has already accepted at another program, they can see this, this year in PTCAS, which is new this year, and they place those students at the bottom of their waitlist to allow others a chance for entry. I’ve checked with some friends and that pattern seems to be true. If they accepted at one school they’ve been waitlisted at others. Seems be be a bit unethical- if someone has the qualifications for an interview they should be able to have a choice of what program to attend.

That’s odd because it also says this on the PTCAS website,

“A program that has placed an applicant on a wait-list will not have access to that applicant’s admission status at other institutions. After the completion of the 2017–18 admissions cycle in fall 2018, programs then will be able to view applicants’ other selected programs and the final admission decision reported by each.”

What Happens Next

That’s the PTCAS link where I found that info.

This is specifically talking about this year’s application cycle so now I’m confused.

Last edited: