-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Waitlists
Started by JMPThopeful
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
The thing with waitlists is that each person's and each school's situation is unique. I have been removed off a waitlist but at the same time, there were others that did not get removed. Some schools number students on the waitlist and have a first 'waited' first removed policy. Other schools evaluate everyone on the waitlist and pick someone when a seat becomes available, and then repeat this process everytime a seat becomes available. I'd suggest that you contact both programs and ask them how they do theirs. Also, ask them the trend in previous years for the numbers of seats that have become available. Hope this helps...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm on a wait list as well. Last I heard I was about 6 people away, but the class is just about full. It'll be a close call. We were numbered, so you can get an idea what your odds are that way (typically the PT dept will let you know how deep into the waitlists they typically go each year). I don't think prospective students were removed unless they sent back a card to the school with a check box marked indicating they would like to be removed from the waitlist.
I've put in a deposit with another school, and notified them I'd be attending, just to keep my bases covered. If I get in the first, I'll just notify the other school I won't be going after all, and I'm sure they'll dig into their own wait list survivors as a result. I think this happens pretty commonly in grad school (a law student/friend told me tons of people in his class did this to keep their options open).
I hope this doesn't go until two weeks before school starts, since I'd have to do some last second planning on my commute as well as putting the other school in a tough spot when I pull out. I'm also taking 2 classes (1 a prereq for one, the other a prereq for the other) instead of 1 currently because of this situation. It's a small sacrifice to stay available for both schools.
I've put in a deposit with another school, and notified them I'd be attending, just to keep my bases covered. If I get in the first, I'll just notify the other school I won't be going after all, and I'm sure they'll dig into their own wait list survivors as a result. I think this happens pretty commonly in grad school (a law student/friend told me tons of people in his class did this to keep their options open).
I hope this doesn't go until two weeks before school starts, since I'd have to do some last second planning on my commute as well as putting the other school in a tough spot when I pull out. I'm also taking 2 classes (1 a prereq for one, the other a prereq for the other) instead of 1 currently because of this situation. It's a small sacrifice to stay available for both schools.
Yeah, waitlists are a bit tricky. Some schools don't have rankings so it is sort of playing russian roulette. I am on five waitlists, so I really hope to get off of one of them soon. I already left a deposit with a school, just so that I have somewhere to go in the Fall, but it is not my #1 choice. Good luck!
Does anyone know the chances of getting in after you have been waitlisted to any of these school.. UMDNJ-Newark, Stockton, or Thomas Jefferson ??... 🙁...
I'm waitlisted too at Jefferson...good luck to both of us!
Does anyone know the chances of getting in after you have been waitlisted to any of these school.. UMDNJ-Newark, Stockton, or Thomas Jefferson ??... 🙁...
I'm waitlisted too at Jefferson...good luck to both of us!
Hi Malinka and JMPThopeful,
I don't know if this help much, but I was accepted 3/6/09 at Thomas Jefferson University and the admissions deposit is due 4/8/09. Hence, there might be some waitlist movement after the 8th. Good luck👍
Hi Sunnydpt,
I submitted my application January 24, 2009. I was accepted with a Dean's Scholarship on March 6, 2009.
Gpa: 3.6
Volunteer Hours: 300 (inpatient/outpatient)
If you have any additional questions you are welcome to send me a PM or reply back here. Good Luck
. When did you submit your application? They have a link on their website, which gives applicants a time frame of when they should hear back regarding admission decisions.
I submitted my application January 24, 2009. I was accepted with a Dean's Scholarship on March 6, 2009.
Gpa: 3.6
Volunteer Hours: 300 (inpatient/outpatient)
If you have any additional questions you are welcome to send me a PM or reply back here. Good Luck
. When did you submit your application? They have a link on their website, which gives applicants a time frame of when they should hear back regarding admission decisions.princezz..if you don't mind me asking when did you submit your application jefferson and what were you stats? im still waiting to hear back from them..thanks!
me three....i'm waitlisted too at jefferson...good luck to both of us!
I am also on the waitlist at Thomas Jefferson and Ohio University. I called Thomas Jefferson a couple of weeks ago and they said that mid-april would be a good time to call back to get a better "understanding" of where you would "rank" (even though they don't numerically rank their waitlisted students). Good luck to everyone on waitlists, I wish you all the best.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The most recent update I have regarding the Thomas Jefferson University waitlist is that they have not filled the class and have not had to delve into the list of alternates yet. I received an email explaining this, that also requested notification if I wished to continue being considered as an alternate. This may be unuseful information to most people but I thought I would share it anyways because I have received very little notification about what to expect in the post-interview process. I hope what little information I do have benefits the community in some way.