Waiver for prerequisites?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boston_3

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has requested an exception for a pre-requisite course. I have one school where I interviewed, which requires orgo 2, and ideally, I wouldn't have to spend money to satisfy that requirement for one school.

Thanks for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

My undergrad education included biochem in our biology sequence but did not have a course called biochem. Additionally, my senior thesis was very biochemistry heavy. This was explained in one of my letters of req- basically arguing that I did have a good background in biochemistry. It has been about 50/50 on whether schools accept this, and I have found the only way to find out for sure is to call or email. If you are in a similar situation where you have the background but just not the course, it may be worth looking into this. If you are not familiar with the content of Orgo 2, I am not really sure why admissions would be persuaded to wave a pre-req.

Reactions: 2 users
Impossible for us to guess the opinion of one specific school. Since they interviewed you without it they clearly must be interested in you, but they probably anticipated that you would complete the pre-reqs.

The only way to know would be to actually reach out... though, unless you have an acceptance in hand, asking for some special considerations may attract some unwanted attention. I would probably just take the course unless you have an acceptance in hand from another school that you would be equally happy attending.

I’ve never heard of a school waiving pre-reqs. Doesn’t make much sense to apply to schools where you haven’t met the minimum requirements. I’m guessing they’re assuming you’re currently taking orgo 2 or it’s recommended rather than required as a pre-req.