Wake v.s. MCW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spoodle

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any input on these two schools? ..... I have been trying to decide forever...

Members don't see this ad.

went to wake undergrad, so I really can't comment on their med school, but I can say something about the town/campus/area. Med school facilities are nice, not brand new by any means, but totally acceptable. Baptist (WFU Baptist Hospital) is one of two hospitals in Winston-Salem but larger by far, it is actually the largest employer in town. Baptist serves a really large section of rural NC, the Triad area, and even areas extending into VA.

Winston-Salem is by no means a thriving metropolis (their new slogan, "O! Winston-Salem, now that's living!" is not a joke or so they tell me) but has a sort of meso-southern charm to it. Plan on having a pretty easy time studying, there isn't much else to do. Mind you the town has taken steps to revitilize the downtown (it's not dangerous, just economically depressed), and there is new construction up and down Silas Creek and the Hanes Mall area - so things are looking pretty good in that regard. Winston is located in close proximity to some nice scenic areas (Mt. Airy) other towns and airports (GSO, and RDU/CLT for a drive), and it is only a short commute to Merlefest in Wilkesboro every year. :cool: Overall - not a bad place to spend four years, but you might not find it to be your cup of tea

i've never been to wake, but i was pretty impressed by MCW at my interview there. The med school's gorgeous and really new looking, and the proximity to milwaukee's a plus. The faculty and students were all sooo nice too. If it wasn't for the price and location (i'm looking for a school thats actually in a big city, not just on the outskirts) i would definitely choose MCW. Hope this helps!