Wal-Mart: Pharm Tech vs. Intern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phrmboy123

Hi There
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I work as a pharm tech at the local walmart and we have to work behind the counter and OTC. But when I become an intern, does that change? Do I still have to do OTC? I talked to the pharm manager and he didnt know b/c he has never worked with an intern since hes been at Wal-Mart and the district manager didnt say anything yet. Does anyone else have any experience with walmart and the difference in duties as an intern and a pharm tech? Thanksss.

Members don't see this ad.

If u do a search on the wire you might be able to find out more about this. Also, it depends on the pharmacist you work with. If you work at a busy store, I'm sure they will need you behind the counter but If you work at a slow store, you will have to help out with OTC stuff.

I was a tech at Wal-Mart and became an intern there also. However, none of the pharmacists at my store are preceptors so I just do tech duties. Search under the WIRE for 'intern' and there shouldn be some training guides and job duties and descriptions. I remember one of the modules on the training was to learn OTC stuff (how to use a Gemini, comp shopping, etc.)

My store is way too busy for the pharmacy staff to do OTC stuff but on the rare chance that we have nothing to do, we go out and throw freight (even the pharmacist).

Members don't see this ad :)
yea the store i work at is realllllyyy slow. so bascially more time of mine is spent putting up stock rather than helping the pharmacists. oh well, at least the pay will be better right? maybe i should look into working at a different store where i can learn something other than how to price and place stuff on shelves.:)

Like i said, it all depends on the pharmacist on duty. As a pharmacist, I'm always helping the OTC manager on the sales floor when I'm free. Team work is always very important in the pharmacy. :)

Like i said, it all depends on the pharmacist on duty. As a pharmacist, I'm always helping the OTC manager on the sales floor when I'm free. Team work is always very important in the pharmacy. :)

I agree. The OTC people come in and help on the register during peak hours and we try to help them out when we have time. Besides, we have a vested interest in keeping the shelves stocked since our bonus is based on profit.

Hey, I work as a pharm tech at the local walmart and we have to work behind the counter and OTC. But when I become an intern, does that change? Do I still have to do OTC? I talked to the pharm manager and he didnt know b/c he has never worked with an intern since hes been at Wal-Mart and the district manager didnt say anything yet. Does anyone else have any experience with walmart and the difference in duties as an intern and a pharm tech? Thanksss.

I am a tech at Wal-Mart now (can't become an intern until I finish my first year of school). I've been there for 5 months and I've only worked OTC twice (both times the pharmacy wasn't very busy and we had boatloads of freight). That said, I don't think I've ever seen our interns work OTC, unless they choose to go out there and definitely not if there is a tech there who could do it. In fact, more often than not, our OTC folks come back and run the register for us if we are really busy. Anyway, as most other people said, it probably depends on your store and you should get a clear picture from your manager/DM.

On a side note - I actually don't mind working OTC (albeit the whole 2 times I was out there!). You can get some great patient interaction (though I still refer to the pharmacist when they don't know what they're looking for) and it also helps me learn where everything is so when people come ask for it, I can tell them! I wouldn't want to do it everyday though...

lucky you, even when there are a few scripts to be filled the pharmacists pushes me to make sure everything is organized and stocked OTC. What a bummer--they made me into a stock boy. Believe it or not, im only sticking here b/c its a comfortable job with a decent pay or I would go to Rite-Aid or CVS.:hungover:

I used to hate doing OTC stuff as an intern. Now, a pharmacist, I enjoy doing it because a change of working environment actually stimulates my brain cells and make me happier at work....weird but that's just me. haha...

lucky you, even when there are a few scripts to be filled the pharmacists pushes me to make sure everything is organized and stocked OTC. What a bummer--they made me into a stock boy. Believe it or not, im only sticking here b/c its a comfortable job with a decent pay or I would go to Rite-Aid or CVS.:hungover:

You sound like you are unhappy with your duties. I would either talk to the pharmacy manager or find a new job. My boyfriend is a tech at CVS and he actually comes in sometimes JUST to stock the shelves....sometimes not even OTC stuff! He says he likes it because he gets the same rate of pay and he doesn't have to deal with the crazy people on the other side of the counter. I'm not entirely sure because I can't remember the job description of being a technician at Wal-Mart, but maybe you can look it up when talking to your pharmacist so that it's now thrown but in your face as being part of your job.

yea. I shouldnt even complain in the first place though, they told me that working OTC was part of the job however, I didnt think it was going to be 90% of the job as it is! Yeah, I am looking around for other opps, I started this thread to see if anyone else had the same issue as me.

so the DM told my pharm manager that i cant be an intern til my p4 year and that him or the staff pharmacist will have to be a preceptor!? i think they are confused--i want to be a pre-grad intern but i guess they are thinking post-grad...looks like im stuck as a tech as long as im with walmart. :confused:

so the DM told my pharm manager that i cant be an intern til my p4 year and that him or the staff pharmacist will have to be a preceptor!? i think they are confused--i want to be a pre-grad intern but i guess they are thinking post-grad...looks like im stuck as a tech as long as im with walmart. :confused:

I did a little checking for you. You're in Michigan - right? If you go online to the Michigan state board of pharmacy website - you're intern hours must be done with a Michigan approved pharmacy preceptor. I didn't get so involved in the website to find out what it takes, but apparently Walmart does not want to jump thru whatever hoops it takes to have your pharmacy manager become an approved preceptor.

I think you'll need to find another place to work if you want to be a P1 intern.

Good luck!

yea. I shouldnt even complain in the first place though, they told me that working OTC was part of the job however, I didnt think it was going to be 90% of the job as it is! Yeah, I am looking around for other opps, I started this thread to see if anyone else had the same issue as me.

I got the same issue over at the new Target pharmacy where I work at. The pharmacy have not hit high script counts yet, so I get thrown on the sales floor or the front lanes if the pharmacy manager is around. Sure, once in a while its fine, but everyday?....................it suxs. I just take my sweet time stocking the shelves and going over to electronics section to talk with the guys.

I got the same issue over at the new Target pharmacy where I work at. The pharmacy have not hit high script counts yet, so I get thrown on the sales floor or the front lanes if the pharmacy manager is around. Sure, once in a while its fine, but everyday?....................it suxs. I just take my sweet time stocking the shelves and going over to electronics section to talk with the guys.

Lucky you. I sometimes get to do that but the pharm manager watches me like a hawk!! However, the other techs that have been there for 5..6 yrs can just walk away for 30..40 minutes and he wont say a word.
Its okay though, I've been applying online and I heard back from the DMs from CVS and Walgreens and they both are offering me interviews for being an intern! :D

Pharmboy's post is cracking me up because I know how true it is. I am not an intern yet, just tech at Rite aid and I've seen the intern does alot of cashering and filing the monaco bag on shelves. I don't know what they were thinking in their mind, but they don't look so happy doing it. I guess it's like working on OTC for you guys. So do you have to complete first year of pharmacy school before you can work as intern? I thought you can work as intern as soon as you start pharm school. Please clearify for me, somebody. Thank you for any input.

If u do a search on the wire you might be able to find out more about this.

Search under the WIRE for 'intern' and there shouldn be some training guides and job duties and descriptions. I remember one of the modules on the training was to learn OTC stuff (how to use a Gemini, comp shopping, etc.)

What is the wire that you are referring to?

So do you have to complete first year of pharmacy school before you can work as intern? I thought you can work as intern as soon as you start pharm school. Please clearify for me, somebody. Thank you for any input.

From what I was told, it depends where you live. In most states it is when you get accepted or physically have your internship license in hand.

The "WIRE" is Walmarts intranet system, where employees can log on to at their stores. I checked on the wire, not much information about internship other than what we're discussing here.

Hey btw I got a bunch of interviews to be an intern everywhere EXCEPT at WALMART, what a joke!!!! No wonder everyone in the world is pissed of at that company...they treat you well for the first 6 months then...they dont give a crap!

Hopefully no more OTC for me!! And i can finally wear a labcoat instead of a stupid golden or blue vest!!!!!!!!!!

:cool: :cool: :cool:

can you intern at more that one place?

i know the rule, for michigan at least, is 40hous of internship/week when not in school and 16/week durin the school year.

so if it all adds up to the right numbers, there isnt anything wrong with interning at 2 places, is there?