Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Waldorf Astoria

Discussion in 'Psychiatry' started by Doc Samson, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Doc Samson

Doc Samson gamma irradiated
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Anyone else going to NYC for the oral boards in May? Got my notification letter today. Ugh... time to start sipping the mylanta again. :barf:

Oh, and in case you were wondering where your thousands of dollars in boards fees went... the "boards headquarters" for the exams is the Waldorf!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Solideliquid

Solideliquid Members Only
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    For what you pay they should at least let you bunk in the basement. LOL

3. tennreb

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I wish someone would investigate this. I've done the math, and there is no way that it can cost that much to administer the USMLE. The Step II CS is nothing more than a money making scheme.

4. OP
    OP
    Doc Samson

Attending Physician
    I don't know how much Step II CS costs (thankfully it came into being after my medical school years), but I doubt it's in the $4000 ballpark that the ABPN psychiatry boards is going to end up costing me... not counting the $1000+ I'll be in for the Psychosomatics boards next year. It never stops... :mad:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. RustNeverSleeps

RustNeverSleeps Walker, Texas Ranger
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Rumor on the interview trail is that there is talk of discontinuing the psych oral
    boards in several years. Is there any truth to this?

(p.s. CS is the bargain price of $1000.)

6. OldPsychDoc

OldPsychDoc Senior Curmudgeon
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    NEVER--because old farts like me & Doc S are going to make sure you young whippersnappers have to suffer just as much as we did!!! :smuggrin:

7. OP
    OP
    Doc Samson

Attending Physician
    Actually, this is true, in terms of the live patient interview, at least. ABPN just sent out the announcement yesterday to AAP, AADPRT, etc. that the plan will be to absorb the live pt interviews into the course of residency as a prerequisite to taking the written boards. I think they're still keeping the oral boards themselves alive by using standardized video vignettes... although I do agree with OPD that you young whippersnappers need some serious whipping into shape. ;)

8. Therapist4Chnge

Therapist4Chnge Neuropsych Ninja Faculty
    Faculty Moderator Emeritus Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Psychologist
    Business first....application/use second. No need to make a cheaper exam when you are the only game in town!

-t

9. Anasazi23

Anasazi23 Your Digital Ruler
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    They just created that test for med students to take in addition to the other 3 steps a couple years ago. I'm still not sure how this was pulled off. I remember reading on the site that "x thousand surveys were conducted over the telephone, and 8/10 American's were in favor of increased testing of medical students to ensure patient safety."

We take so much physical assessment and diagnosis in medical school, it seems absurd to have to take this test as well. Adequate assessment, diagnosis, and treatment plan skills are core requirements of any medical school graduate. They just should have enforced it.

There is so much wrong with that statement I can't even get into it.
    And like always, there are dissenters who actually support it, even though they have to take it.

Thank God, I was the last med school class to NOT have to take it...I was grandfathered in.

10. RustNeverSleeps

RustNeverSleeps Walker, Texas Ranger
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I wish those 8/10 Americans would subsidize the test if they feel that strongly about it. :mad:

11. tennreb

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    What an idiotic question. You could substitute any profession in there, and people would vote for it? Increased testing for airline pilots? How about teachers? Lawyers? Hair dressers? Eight of 10 Americans would say yes to all those.

12. Anasazi23

Anasazi23 Your Digital Ruler
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I was equally outraged when I read it.

Imagine a possible future scenario...."8/10 Americans support increasing the length of U.S. medical school training from 4 to 6 years, to account for the massive increase in medical knowledge garnered over the last 40 years."

Think it can't happen?

13. maranatha

5+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    It could easily happen.

14. Hurricane

Hurricane Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    This is all rumor, so take it as such:

I heard that a CS-like test used to be admistered to IMGs to weed out people who can't communicate well in English, but there were complaints that this was discriminatory or whatever, so they decided to administer it to everybody.

So they built all the testing centers and hired all the standardized patients, and the test is pretty much useless, since over 90% of US grads pass it, it's P/F with no feedback, and tests things that most med schools test already, and a total waste of everyone's time. So there are already plans in the works to discontinue it, but they have to keep admistering it for a while to recoup their investment on this boondoggle.

Pbbbt. :p