Walgreens or Target as pharmacy tech?

Started by wellwell
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

wellwell

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have these two options. Walgreens is close to where I live, Target is about 9-10 miles away. I'm uncertified and have no prior experience. The Walgreens is a newer store and is pretty nice. Target has been there for a couple of years.

Basically, the main difference is that Walgreens is a pharmacy company, Target isn't. Walgreens also has Intercom Plus, while Target uses PDX. Walgreens has less scholarship money, and it has to be paid back; Target has more scholarship money that doesn't have to be paid back. I know Walgreens pays for certification but not sure about Target. All of that, the distance factor, and my inexperience play into my decision.

Any comments or recommendations are appreciated!
 
Apply to both and see what happens. If you get offers from both, Target sounds better.
 
If you get a job offer from Target go for Target!! Light workload, nice people..and you get a 10% discount at Target 🙂
+ the scholarship money is awesome, I didn't even know about it until a few days ago!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Target will pay for your certification. Not sure of the exact procedure, but they will reimburse you for the PTCE fees.
 
Any comments or recommendations are appreciated!
Walgreen's is not for the faint of heart. Unless you can handle very busy, very fast-paced, very stressful environment, the easy computer system is not really going to be that much of an advantage. Oh, and discount on all things Walgreen's is 15%, additive to coupons/sales.

Target is slow and has more scholarship money. The downside to it, if you like fast-paced environment, so day whizzes by quickly, you may be bored out of your mind and start clawing your eyes out at Target. Though a lot of Target techs/interns would do their homework on the job, I guess that's an advantage, and the cure for the boredom. 😀 PDX is more annoying than Walgreen's but I think in a month or two you can get pretty fast with it.
 
Thanks everyone for the replies! Target sounds better at this point. One more thing I forgot to mention that I like about them is ClearRx-- that really is a neat innovation, and something that I think probably prevents pharmacy errors and promotes patient safety. Is it a good thing for techs as well? Anyone who works at Target (IrishOats, etc.) feel free to respond about the pros/cons of it.

Target will pay for your certification. Not sure of the exact procedure, but they will reimburse you for the PTCE fees.

Do you know if they pay for you to take a tech certification course? In my state, to become state certified, you must also take an Technician class, in addition to having 1k+ hours and a passing grade on the PTCB.
 
Work at Walgreens. You will learn real quick whether retail is for you.
 
Work at Walgreens. You will learn real quick whether retail is for you.
I don't think its a good idea to portray Walgreens as the retail pharmacy "tester," most companies are going to be different in many ways from one another.
 
Target will be better...but VERY hard to get into...lets just say that a hospital pharmacy called me for an interview while Target still won't hire me...🙄 (so you have a BETTER chance at getting a hospital position) They say that they had the same tech for over 15 years and will NEVER replace her. So good luck getting into Target...
 
Target will be better...but VERY hard to get into...lets just say that a hospital pharmacy called me for an interview while Target still won't hire me...🙄 (so you have a BETTER chance at getting a hospital position) They say that they had the same tech for over 15 years and will NEVER replace her. So good luck getting into Target...


That is just one Target out of many.

Anyways, I would pick the pharmacy that can give you the hours you want plus the better pay. I work at Walgreens and love the computer system, but it is up to you. I am sure both have their perks.
 
really both are probably about the same. I have worked for CVS and now work for Target. both are stresful but in separate ways.
lower volume at Target but lots of mindless "busy work".
really I think it depends more on the pharmacists you work with rather than the chain you work for. so no one here can give you a real answer.
 
I have never seen a Target Pharmacy with a drive through window, so I would go with Target lol.

I know Wal-greens is interested in constructing drive through windows into their pharmacies that currently don't have them, but are able to have them.

I personally would also work for Target instead of Wal-greens because of the front store end. You will be surprised by the way you tend to shop/buy things at the pharmacy you work before, during, or after work. I would much rather be shopping at Target than Wal-greens.
 
target will reimburse ur certification, just need to save reciept of payment (use a credit card much easier) and u'll fax it in with certification card (when passed). target pays higher (depending on where ur location is and how busy it is), scholarship is free and if u get into pharm school its $4k a yr w/o contract of having to work for them post grad, walgreens will most likely give u tons of experience and knowledge which will knock out at least a couple of classes during pharm school, no drive thru at target nor do they ever plan on it, if its a super target then its just awesome, it will seem busy at either place, unless u do like 40-60 rx a day at target, but i dont think they have anymore of those (i could be wrong), target is more staffed than walgreens (we get 160-180 tech hrs per week (1300-1400 rx/wk) 2.5 pharmacist(2 full, 1 part time)), you'll prolly get more training at target than walgreens
 
Walgreens is the better option. Because i currently work there and they train you completly on the job, you get paid for it and your certified nationaly. Target doesn't do that.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How do you apply to become a pharm. tech at target?

I'd recommend first going to see the pharmacy manager at the Target you want to apply to. Look presentable and bring a resume. Ask if they have hours to offer you. If they do, you'll have to go to the kiosks in the front of the store and fill out an online application. If the pharmacy manager likes you, he'll tell the HR person at Target and it should be easy from there 🙂 Hope that helps!
 
Do you know if there is a wait time to reapply at target? I was a seasonal over summer and recently got terminated :[...

Also when applying at the kiosk, I don't remember seeing an option to work in the Pharmacy, would I just apply as a floor team member?

and one last thing, do I have to be certified to work in the pharmacy? I'm only and undergrad majoring in chem. 😛
 
Do you know if there is a wait time to reapply at target? I was a seasonal over summer and recently got terminated :[...

Also when applying at the kiosk, I don't remember seeing an option to work in the Pharmacy, would I just apply as a floor team member?

and one last thing, do I have to be certified to work in the pharmacy? I'm only and undergrad majoring in chem. 😛

I'm not sure about the wait time. If you already worked there you could go speak to the HR person to find out.
I'm pretty sure there is an option for Pharmacy at the kiosk, unless something has changed since when I filled it out.
It probably depends on the state/pharmacist, but I don't think you have to be certified. I work in New York and I'm not certified 🙂
 
that's a new walgreens, so most likely their post count will be low. You don't have to pay walgreen scholarship money back, you just have to work a few years with them.

idk the diff between pdx and intercom. I would work at walgreens, the entire atmosphere is more geared towards pharmacy as opposed to targets "just having a pharmacy so shoppers can go there."
 
that's a new walgreens, so most likely their post count will be low. You don't have to pay walgreen scholarship money back, you just have to work a few years with them.

idk the diff between pdx and intercom. I would work at walgreens, the entire atmosphere is more geared towards pharmacy as opposed to targets "just having a pharmacy so shoppers can go there."
Sometimes that can be a good or a bad thing.

I think Target gets the most tech hours per RX, someone on here said that they got 160-180 hrs a week for 1100 scripts weekly. That sounds like an advantage for both the pharmacists and the techs. As far as I know, they aren't cutting back, either.
 
I have these two options. Walgreens is close to where I live, Target is about 9-10 miles away. I'm uncertified and have no prior experience. The Walgreens is a newer store and is pretty nice. Target has been there for a couple of years.

Basically, the main difference is that Walgreens is a pharmacy company, Target isn't. Walgreens also has Intercom Plus, while Target uses PDX. Walgreens has less scholarship money, and it has to be paid back; Target has more scholarship money that doesn't have to be paid back. I know Walgreens pays for certification but not sure about Target. All of that, the distance factor, and my inexperience play into my decision.

Any comments or recommendations are appreciated!

Just thought id chime in here and say thanks! I spent hours on different websites looking for this exact topic.
 
I work for Target now and I would definitely choose Target. The scholarship is $3000 / year (taxed, though). To students already in pharmacy school, you should apply for the Target Summer Internship program - its 10 weeks, 40 hrs / week, and I really learned alot!
 
Walgreens has less scholarship money, and it has to be paid back; Target has more scholarship money that doesn't have to be paid back. I know Walgreens pays for certification but not sure about Target. All of that, the distance factor, and my inexperience play into my decision.

Any comments or recommendations are appreciated!

That's incorrect, you do not have to pay Walgreen's back for pharmacy school tuition reimbursement, as long as you work your obligation of 4 years as a Walgreen's pharmacist after pharmacy school; I believe it's approximately $20K towards tuition, done in $5K per year increments. Also they help pay for your pre-pharmacy tuition as well, but you must be a Walgreen's employee with over 1000 hours of work.
 
Sometimes that can be a good or a bad thing.

I think Target gets the most tech hours per RX, someone on here said that they got 160-180 hrs a week for 1100 scripts weekly. That sounds like an advantage for both the pharmacists and the techs. As far as I know, they aren't cutting back, either.

Target is cutting back the most of all the pharmacies in my area. Several of the pharmacies have gone on shorten hours, and so, the staff pharmacist had to decide whether to look part time at the store and float to make up the rest of the hours or quit with a severence package. The pharmacy which I did my rotation at a Target pharmacy which does about 800-900 scripts a week. Since the beginning of the year, their hours have been cut from 95 tech hours to 78 tech hours. Their technology is also very out dated, and so, it takes a lot longer to fill a prescription as compared to Walgreens.
 
I don't know which target you guys work at or go to...but he one I work at fills about 300-400 scripts on a week day (can get to 500 on a Monday). So it def gets crazy. Regarding the certification...I was hired without a certification but I was required to get certified by Feb 28 because of the change in laws. Target gave me an option of taking the Target non-national certification exam that doesn't cost anything but has an application fee plus a criminal background check + fingerprint check. Overall I enjoy working there. =) but I never got my raise last yr. =(
 
I've been working for Walgreens for 3 years and I do agree it can be hectic and might have some pretty mean customers, but their are some very interesting and nice ones as well. I guess I am bias to Walgreens because I am the type of person that works well under stressful situation (400+ rx's per day, constanly short-handed). I don't know if Target does this, but I know there is no cap on a tech's wage at Walgreens. You will be constantly getting raises
 
I have these two options. Walgreens is close to where I live, Target is about 9-10 miles away. I'm uncertified and have no prior experience. The Walgreens is a newer store and is pretty nice. Target has been there for a couple of years.

Basically, the main difference is that Walgreens is a pharmacy company, Target isn't. Walgreens also has Intercom Plus, while Target uses PDX. Walgreens has less scholarship money, and it has to be paid back; Target has more scholarship money that doesn't have to be paid back. I know Walgreens pays for certification but not sure about Target. All of that, the distance factor, and my inexperience play into my decision.

Any comments or recommendations are appreciated!
I would say to apply to both and hopefully you'll get hired at one of them 🙂

If you get hired by both, I would definitely go with Target...sounds like a better deal!
 
I work for Target now and I would definitely choose Target. The scholarship is $3000 / year (taxed, though). To students already in pharmacy school, you should apply for the Target Summer Internship program - its 10 weeks, 40 hrs / week, and I really learned alot!


Do you have any more info on the Target Summer Internship??
 
i know this thread is kinda old.. Im in a similar situation. New target open about 10miles from where I live and walgreens which have been there for over 10+ yrs which is 2 miles away. I have a second interview at walgreens soon and recently got an interview for target. From the comments above, it seems like walgreens is fast-paced and learn more (The manager at walgreens said the store is a low-volume store.) while for target its more laid back..

Does walgreens and target still do pharm school scholarship/reimbursements?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad