Walgreens vs. CVS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crossurfingers

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had an interview for a job at CVS and they asked me why I want to work for CVS in comparison with other retail pharmacies, for example Walgreens. The only pharmacy I've had the opportunity to shadow in was Osco. Anyone know the main differences between CVS and it's competitors? I have another interview in another week or so and I bet they'll ask me this again.

Members don't see this ad.

crossurfingers said:
I had an interview for a job at CVS and they asked me why I want to work for CVS in comparison with other retail pharmacies, for example Walgreens. The only pharmacy I've had the opportunity to shadow in was Osco. Anyone know the main differences between CVS and it's competitors? I have another interview in another week or so and I bet they'll ask me this again.

I have been with both companies, and I stuck with walgreens for 4 yrs. For one, the pay. Im from TX and the difference in pay between the 2 companies was dramatic. Is the cvs you are applying an established store or has it been an eckerd before? A lot of eckerds have been done away with and now cvs has bought several stores from them. If thats the case, friends from 'cvs' now tell me that no one taught them to use the computer system, they had to learn on their own. Even RPhs didnt know! What kind of crap is that? well, thats what happened over here. Case is different with your store I suppose. But what it really boils down to is who you are working with. Get to know the staff. See if they are eager to teach- that is the important thing. Retail is fast, you get the same crappy customers and complaints in any setting. See what kind of staff they run in both companies and see if they will let you shadow for a couple of days to see which staff suits you. And see who are team players, who knows the system and operations. The people u will be working with is vital, it needs to be a well oiled machine and you much mesh well with who you work with. A tight staff will help eachother out in binds, in rush hours, and help keep the integrity running high in difficult situations. So I would say, get to know the staff, dont be afraid to speak up. Ask questions about anything to the staff and see how welcoming they are with both companies. If they seem like, oh great, the rookie is here.... then that tells you a lot about them. If they are welcoming, then there you go. You dont want to go to work everyday hating it because you dont like the staff you work with. I have been a retail pharm tech for a total of 8 years. Ive seen a lot of techs come and go, primarily because they were not team players or didnt mesh well with the staff for whatever reason. Take the time to explore. Good luck :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
paragraph breaks are your friend; get to know them. thank you. :)

Although I've never worked for either company, I would rather work at Walgreens because CVS, to me, appears to be run down and dumpy. No offense to anyone who works there, but from my point of view CVS just can't compete with Walgreens.

My brother will be starting the 6 year program in the fall there at Butler. Are you happy with the program.......any advice to give him??? I hear now you have to have a 3.0 GPA to get into the 3rd year.

crossurfingers said:
I had an interview for a job at CVS and they asked me why I want to work for CVS in comparison with other retail pharmacies, for example Walgreens.
This is the kind of question that I won't answer at an interview unless I really have a reason to prefer the company. I am not sure if they are trying to get you to say you want to work only there so they can feel confident that you won't refuse an offer on the low end of the salary range, or if they want to be able to bitch at you if you leave them for someplace else in 6 months. Either way, it stinks on ice.

If your application is a matter of opportunity - there happens to be a position open and you are looking for one, go ahead and be frank. If you want to try out someplace aside from Osco where you already worked, that's cool too. But, it's ******ed for them to expect you to make up some BS about why you are sold on CVS and only CVS. Don't ever feel like you have to make anything up or be less than honest.

I interned at Eckerd (later on CVS) last summer and I'm at Walgreens this summer. At least in my area, Walgreens seems to be more professionally run. The computer system at Walgreens is better than the CVS computer system.

Walgreens did ask me why I wanted to work there and I told them that I wanted to compare both of the large chains.

walgreens is more strict on their pharmacists and techs compared to CVS. I hear that they time their techs on how quick they do inputs and more strict on how they talk with customers. I work at CVS and its more laid back there. No one comes down on you there unless u do something really bad.

Superflyjsc said:
walgreens is more strict on their pharmacists and techs compared to CVS. I hear that they time their techs on how quick they do inputs and more strict on how they talk with customers. I work at CVS and its more laid back there. No one comes down on you there unless u do something really bad.

The techs at Walgreens are not timed. There is a computer learning program called Tech Builder that each person must complete during their employment term. The typing test portion is timed. By the way, you are paid while completing the learning CD at the store.

Walgreens does not want their techs counseling patients, which is a good thing. If a patient has a question about their medication, the tech must get a pharmacist or an intern to answer the question. The interns are also classed on their level of pharmacy school. I'm allowed to counsel because I have completed just about all of my didactic coursework. Honestly, I wasn't comfortable doing counseling last summer at CVS. I didn't have enough medication knowledge.

msalinasrx said:
I have been with both companies, and I stuck with walgreens for 4 yrs. For one, the pay. Im from TX and the difference in pay between the 2 companies was dramatic.

I was just hired by CVS as a PSA(nyc area)...meaning I have no experience in a pharmacy what so ever. Basically all I've been doing is ringing up customers for their meds. My question is... can anyone tell me how much they got as a CVS employee working as a PSA, tech or intern. No one has told me how much I'm suppose to get at the interview, and I haven't even met the store manager yet. My friends at Walgreens are getting paid $9 an hour. Exactly how dramatic is the pay difference, because I thought it would be similar. Thanks in advance!

Superflyjsc said:

The standard is eight minutes from in-window to cash register. Intercom Plus measures everything and it shows up in your KPIs. The phraseology is frustrating because you just get it learned and the whiz kids in Danville change it on you.

Don't forget, at Walgreens there is overlap and pharmacists get to eat lunch. At Walgreens there are a minimum of three terminals and two printers. At Walgreens the standard shift is eight hours with the max being ten excepting an emergency. Night shifters work eleven on quiet weekends.

Another thread claimed some CVS districts are working their pharmacists 14 hour days. This is criminal.

dgroulx said:
The techs at Walgreens are not timed. There is a computer learning program called Tech Builder that each person must complete during their employment term. The typing test portion is timed. By the way, you are paid while completing the learning CD at the store.

Walgreens does not want their techs counseling patients, which is a good thing. If a patient has a question about their medication, the tech must get a pharmacist or an intern to answer the question. The interns are also classed on their level of pharmacy school. I'm allowed to counsel because I have completed just about all of my didactic coursework. Honestly, I wasn't comfortable doing counseling last summer at CVS. I didn't have enough medication knowledge.

I wish we had that. I work at Eckerd. They just kind of drop you in the shark tank and hope you either have time to figure it out or that someone will be nice enough to teach you. Same goes for their inventory management system. I've been there for 7 months and I still have no clue how it works, and neither of the pharmacists have had time to teach me enough to know how to check in supply orders or do interstore transfers. It's frustrating. And the RPhs also regularly work 12-14 hour days, often without time for lunch, and the work week often averages about 42 to 48 hours.

The DMs can justify this by claiming that we are a low-volume, no drive-thru store. It's long been an impression of mine that Wags generally treats their employees better.

Members don't see this ad :)
b*rizzle said:
I wish we had that. I work at Eckerd. They just kind of drop you in the shark tank and hope you either have time to figure it out or that someone will be nice enough to teach you. Same goes for their inventory management system. I've been there for 7 months and I still have no clue how it works, and neither of the pharmacists have had time to teach me enough to know how to check in supply orders or do interstore transfers. It's frustrating. And the RPhs also regularly work 12-14 hour days, often without time for lunch, and the work week often averages about 42 to 48 hours.

The DMs can justify this by claiming that we are a low-volume, no drive-thru store. It's long been an impression of mine that Wags generally treats their employees better.

I just started working at Eckerd last week as a drug clerk. So far it's going pretty well. We have a drive-thru at the one I work at. If a car pulls up with a dog, we can offer the people some beggin strips. I got to give some beggin strips out the other day. The dog seemed pretty happy.

RLK said:
I just started working at Eckerd last week as a drug clerk. So far it's going pretty well. We have a drive-thru at the one I work at. If a car pulls up with a dog, we can offer the people some beggin strips. I got to give some beggin strips out the other day. The dog seemed pretty happy.

It's the little things in life...

the district that I work in at CVS, the phone must be answered within a couple seconds. If the store has a bad percentage, this affects the rph's bonus. Everyone complains but CVS just went to $52/hr because they are so short in my area (S Carolina).

htyotispharm said:
the district that I work in at CVS, the phone must be answered within a couple seconds. If the store has a bad percentage, this affects the rph's bonus. Everyone complains but CVS just went to $52/hr because they are so short in my area (S Carolina).

I think there's a point beyond where throwing more money at pharmacists becomes less of a lure.

100,000 or 110,000 ...not a lot of difference to me. I'm going with the employer that treats me the best. (not that any of them are all that great... but 14 hour shifts w/ no lunch break, dealing with transfer coupons, etc. is for the birds.)

heyy,

i have an interview with walgreens for a pharm tech position coming up soon...does anybody know what type of questions they ask?? ...i've heard of some places giving quizzes based on info taking from the PTCB exam...lemme know if u have any ideas

Divine786 said:
heyy,

i have an interview with walgreens for a pharm tech position coming up soon...does anybody know what type of questions they ask?? ...i've heard of some places giving quizzes based on info taking from the PTCB exam...lemme know if u have any ideas
STOP POSTING THIS IN EVERY THREAD

it is completely unnecessary.

bbmuffin said:
STOP POSTING THIS IN EVERY THREAD

it is completely unnecessary.

oh excuse me. i wasn't aware that I was doing that. ..and there's no need to be rude about it.

Divine786 said:
oh excuse me. i wasn't aware that I was doing that. ..and there's no need to be rude about it.

How do you not know you're posting in multiple threads the same question? :confused:

ForgetMeNot said:
How do you not know you're posting in multiple threads the same question? :confused:

bbmuffin accused me of posting in every thread. the last time i checked i posted in only 3. and what's the big deal anyways.

Divine786 said:
bbmuffin accused me of posting in every thread. the last time i checked i posted in only 3. and what's the big deal anyways.
because no one wants to read the same stupid question more than once.

that's why

its like cross posting in the pharmacy forum...

pointless

unnecessary

but the fact is.... you bumped all of the threads to the top so thery were all there nicely in a row
and that served no purpose at all except annoyance

and by the way...
it was 4 threads you posted it in not 3

YOU are pointless and unnecessary. ;)

Divine786 said:
YOU are pointless and unnecessary. ;)

YOU need to respect one of the mods and GROW up! :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:. Why stoop so low and tease her? This kind of behavior is not and should not be tolerated in this forum. I'm sure she wasn't the only one who has been frustrated by your duplicate posts; she was just the courageous one who stepped up to voice her opinions, which many of us share. What makes YOU think your question is so important that everyone must see it more than once? I'm sure if someone wanted to answer your question, they'd answer it already. Everyone's questions in this forum are EQUALLY important; but if everyone thought like you (mine is so important that I must post in multiple threads and bump them up), it'd just be pure annoyance in duplicate threads (thank God you're the only one right now). And for the record, quit saying you didn't know you posted the same question in duplicate threads; you did so intentionally. You've gotta be braindead or something for you not be be aware of that.

Echoing her, STOP POSTING THE SAME QUESTION IN MULTIPLE THREADS! As she said, "no one wants to read the same stupid question more than once."

PS--Divine786, "YOU are pointless and unnecessary. ;) "

endlesslove said:
YOU need to respect one of the mods and GROW up! :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:. Why stoop so low and tease her? This kind of behavior is not and should not be tolerated in this forum. I'm sure she wasn't the only one who has been frustrated by your duplicate posts; she was just the courageous one who stepped up to voice her opinions, which many of us share. What makes YOU think your question is so important that everyone must see it more than once? I'm sure if someone wanted to answer your question, they'd answer it already. Everyone's questions in this forum are EQUALLY important; but if everyone thought like you (mine is so important that I must post in multiple threads and bump them up), it'd just be pure annoyance in duplicate threads (thank God you're the only one right now). And for the record, quit saying you didn't know you posted the same question in duplicate threads; you did so intentionally. You've gotta be braindead or something for you not be be aware of that.

Echoing her, STOP POSTING THE SAME QUESTION IN MULTIPLE THREADS! As she said, "no one wants to read the same stupid question more than once."

PS--Divine786, "YOU are pointless and unnecessary. ;) "

hmm, maybe you should practice what you preach. Attacking me..dont' you think now you too are stooping low ? She could have kindly pointed out that posting in multiple threads was not needed..but instead she chose to be rude and insolent about it. All she had to do was say it nicely, and I would have completely understood. What a sad world.

Divine786 said:
hmm, maybe you should practice what you preach. Attacking me..dont' you think now you too are stooping low ? She could have kindly pointed out that posting in multiple threads was not needed..but instead she chose to be rude and insolent about it. All she had to do was say it nicely, and I would have completely understood. What a sad world.
what exactly did i say that was so rude and insolent?

was it stop? how about posting? in? perhaps every? or thread?

or maybe just its?

hmmmmmmm was it completely?

i know! it must have been unnecessary!

you are new to the board... its not wise to start out like this

Divine786 said:

Maybe because you wind up hijacking a thread for a different purpose than what it was started for. If it's that important to you, start your own thread.