Wall Street Journal: Orthodontist With $1.1M in Student Loans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cold Front

Supreme Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
“Mr. Meru pays only $1,589.97 a month—not enough to cover the interest, so his debt from seven years at the University of Southern California grows by $130 a day. In two decades, his loan balance will be $2 million.”

Mike Meru Has $1 Million in Student Loans. How Did That Happen?

Members don't see this ad.

Mike apparently didn't read the many posts on SDN re: expensive schools. Just not smart. Can't blame anyone but himself. Just ridiculous.

I mean judging by the article the guy makes a good income, drives a used Tesla, and goes on vacations. He will most likely feel the burn in 25 years when he has to pay a $700,000 tax bomb. Articles like this will continue and probably cause some programs to close.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the problem here is Dr. Meru uses the government assisted repayment program, which allows him to only pay $1500 a month, instead of the normal $7-8k/month payment for a 600k loan. That’s like having rich parents who help pay back the student loan for him. One can only learn by facing the real hardship of paying back student loan the “normal” way.

I think if Dr. Meru chose the normal 10-20 year repayment option, which would require him to pay $7-8k every month, he would not just have this $225k job at the corp. He would be less picky about the job offers and would travel to more offices to get more P/T jobs, which would allow him to make more than just $225k/year. He would probably set up a low overhead office while working for the corp….and work 6-7 days a week. He and his wife wouldn’t have taken out an additional $400k loan to buy a house. He would probably not get a Tesla. The article didn’t mention if his wife works or not…double income is better single income.

Dr. Meru’s $610k loan is a lot but this also includes the 3-yr ortho residency. There are some recent grad general dentists, who went to schools like USC and NYU and have similar debt amounnt.

It's instant vs delayed gratification. The harder you work now the sooner you can retire comfortably.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
It's instant vs delayed gratification. The harder you work now the sooner you can retire comfortably.
gratification enjoyed while young and full of energy vs that enjoyed as a 50+yr old with less energy, wrinkles, and other biological problems

gratification enjoyed while young and full of energy vs that enjoyed as a 50+yr old with less energy, wrinkles, and other biological problems
It’s very true if you plan to stay single and have no kid. What’s the point of working hard all your life and when you die, you can’t bring the money with you? If I were a single guy, I would do like what this Dr. Meru does…..make minimum debt payments, work 1-2 days/week, no need to deal with stress by building a practice.... and just enjoy life. When I die, the government and my creditors can’t do anything about my debt.

Wait until you get married and have kids, I guarantee you that you will change your thinking. I work hard now because I want to have a lifestyle I that currently enjoy. I want good schools and a bright future for my kids. I want them to have the same good (or better) lifestyle when I am gone. People don’t respect you when you don’t have $$$. The reason I continue to work hard (well, ortho is not really a hard job) now is I don't want to lose this same good lifestyle after I retire…ie driving new cars every 2-3 years, having a housekeeper, eating good food, having expensive vacations etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
It’s very true if you plan to stay single and have no kid. What’s the point of working hard all your life and when you die, you can’t bring the money with you? If I were a single guy, I would do like what this Dr. Meru does…..make minimum debt payments, work 1-2 days/week, no need to deal with stress by building a practice.... and just enjoy life. When I die, the government and my creditors can’t do anything about my debt.

Wait until you get married and have kids, I guarantee you that you will change your thinking. I work hard now because I want to have a lifestyle I that currently enjoy. I want good schools and a bright future for my kids. I want them to have the same good (or better) lifestyle when I am gone. People don’t respect you when you don’t have $$$. The reason I continue to work hard (well, ortho is not really a hard job) now is I don't want to lose this same good lifestyle after I retire…ie driving new cars every 2-3 years, having a housekeeper, eating good food, having expensive vacations etc.
When your kids come of age and decide a career in Dentistry (I’m assuming they are about a decade from now - and the cost of education would probably at least cost over $700-800k then for most schools, probably over $1M with residency)... would you talk them out of it? Or let them do it? They will certainly have to work harder than you do now to enjoy the same lifestyle you do now.

When your kids come of age and decide a career in Dentistry (I’m assuming they are about a decade from now - and the cost of education would probably at least cost over $700-800k then for most schools, probably over $1M with residency)... would you talk them out of it? Or let them do it? They will certainly have to work harder than you do now to enjoy the same lifestyle you do now.
This is why I have to continue to work hard now to make sure that the total educational cost of $700k-1mil will neither be an issue for me nor for my kids. If my wife and I had no kid, we could easily retire right now and just live on the income that we earn from our rental properties.

Paying for their education is not the hard part for us. The hard part is to get accepted to dental (or medical) school. There are lot of smart kids out there. Will my kids be smart enough to get in? And once they are in, will they be able to survive the tough curriculum of dental (or medical) school? Hope they won't drop out. Unlike me, they never have to face any hardship in their lives. It wasn't a big deal for me and my wife, who worked minimum wage jobs to pay for our own undergrad education, to work on Saturdays and Sundays after we finished our residency trainings. My kids may not have that kind of motivation....but that's OK with us because to us, it's already a huge success if they choose to follow our footsteps.

If my kids decide not to go into the health care field and have a low paying job, that's ok for us too because we should save enough (I am working hard now to make sure I save enough) to give them a decent lifestyle. Hopefully, when we are both gone, they'll continue to manage our investment properties properly. Our generation has robbed our kid's generation by excessively borrowing and spending the money we don't have ....Senator McCain correctly called this a "generational theft"....and this is how my wife and I repay our kids.

Last edited:
Charlestweed,

I admire your views and your strong work ethic is to be commended. I worked hard, like yourself, to make sure that both my children had their undergrad education paid for. The oldest child is interested in business. The younger child is interested in Psychology. Neither child wanted to go into dentistry. I will definitely help both children achieve their goals, but only to a point. They also have to be financially responsible for their education. When things are given to children ... they sometimes, rather most of the time ... do not value that gift unless they have some skin in the game.

As you reach your mid 50's ... your remaining years will fall into perspective. For myself I started to categorize years 55-60, 60-65, 70-75, etc. etc. Selfish or not .... this is MY time for my wife and I. I've earned it. I have a plan set aside for each of those age categories. I realize that at any time ... a health situation could turn up, but you have to have some sort of plan. My categories reflect how I perceive my mental and physical states will be. Bottom line is that my wife and I are going to enjoy ourselves

Reactions: 2 users
Charlestweed,

..... I will definitely help both children achieve their goals, but only to a point. They also have to be financially responsible for their education. When things are given to children ... they sometimes, rather most of the time ... do not value that gift unless they have some skin in the game....
I completely agree with you.

The general dentist, whom my wife currently works for, told us that when he was young, he knew his parents did very well financially but he didn’t know how much money they really had. Like many of his classmates, he took out student loan to pay for his dental education at Loma Linda, a very expensive school. After graduation, he worked for another GP for couple of years. After gaining enough experience, he then took out another loan to purchase an existing practice. And then all of the sudden, his parents gave him a huge amount of money to pay off all his loans + a house, which they already paid off. And that’s when he realized that his parents were very rich.

I will probably do like what my wife’s GP boss’ parents did for their kids. I will make my kids to take out some student loans and hopefully, they’ll learn from having to deal the hardship of paying back the loans with their own income. And if they struggle, we will jump in to help them with our savings and investments.

This is why I have to continue to work hard now to make sure that the total educational cost of $700k-1mil will neither be an issue for me nor for my kids. If my wife and I had no kid, we could easily retire right now and just live on the income that we earn from our rental properties.

Paying for their education is not the hard part for us. The hard part is to get accepted to dental (or medical) school. There are lot of smart kids out there. Will my kids be smart enough to get in? And once they are in, will they be able to survive the tough curriculum of dental (or medical) school? Hope they won't drop out. Unlike me, they never have to face any hardship in their lives. It wasn't a big deal for me and my wife, who worked minimum wage jobs to pay for our own undergrad education, to work on Saturdays and Sundays after we finished our residency trainings. My kids may not have that kind of motivation....but that's OK with us because to us, it's already a huge success if they choose to follow our footsteps.

If my kids decide not to go into the health care field and have a low paying job, that's ok for us too because we should save enough (I am working hard now to make sure I save enough) to give them a decent lifestyle. Hopefully, when we are both gone, they'll continue to manage our investment properties properly. Our generation has robbed our kid's generation by excessively borrowing and spending the money we don't have ....Senator McCain correctly called this a "generational theft"....and this is how my wife and I repay our kids.
I don’t think it will be very difficult or competitive for your kids to get into dental school in 10 years or so. I have a theory that as more schools open and the tuition reaches ridiculously new heights, the competition to get in will be dampened. The most competitive schools will be the cheapest schools, but there will be a plenty of schools that will happily take your kids money (through Uncle Sam or your savings).

There was a time that the GPA needed for many dental schools were higher than the GPA needed for their medical schools, and many medical school applicants were choosing to apply to dental school for dentistry’s lifestyle and income over medicine. I haven’t been tracking the relationship between tuition and GPA for dental schools the past 10-20 years, but I bet that has changed since. But we will see the opposite of the factors that made dentistry more competitive in the future. I personally know people who got into dental schools with sub 3.0 GPA, but their DAT was exceptional. I also personally know many dentists who are steering their children away from dentistry in the future, as they think that the golden age has been over and it will not be worth the huge debts and the financial stress that a future dentist will endure in the future.

Charlestweed,

I admire your views and your strong work ethic is to be commended. I worked hard, like yourself, to make sure that both my children had their undergrad education paid for. The oldest child is interested in business. The younger child is interested in Psychology. Neither child wanted to go into dentistry. I will definitely help both children achieve their goals, but only to a point. They also have to be financially responsible for their education. When things are given to children ... they sometimes, rather most of the time ... do not value that gift unless they have some skin in the game.

As you reach your mid 50's ... your remaining years will fall into perspective. For myself I started to categorize years 55-60, 60-65, 70-75, etc. etc. Selfish or not .... this is MY time for my wife and I. I've earned it. I have a plan set aside for each of those age categories. I realize that at any time ... a health situation could turn up, but you have to have some sort of plan. My categories reflect how I perceive my mental and physical states will be. Bottom line is that my wife and I are going to enjoy ourselves
I’m in much late 30’s and don’t have kids. I grew up with 8 siblings, and I have 20-30 first uncles and aunts on each side of my parents. I learned first hand the effects children had on my parents and relatives, financially. I’m not saying I don’t want to have kids, but I strongly believe that the most important fulfillment and help in life should go towards to self. I have seen many professional parents who worked so hard to have kids and raise them, just to see them fall very short of their expectations when kids left the nest.

Many parents take too much from themselves, time and money, with the hope that their kids will fill their shoes when they retire. Unfortunately, the generational mindsets are never taken into account. Children will never have the same obstacles their parents had to succeed, and almost anything will be much easier to pursue through parents help, and as you said they won’t appreciate it as much. I’m not saying the giant advantages will have a negative impact on the kids, but it’s still a “complicated” process for the kids to succeed on their own when there are fewer hurdles to get around.

Reactions: 1 user
I don’t think it will be very difficult or competitive for your kids to get into dental school in 10 years or so. I have a theory that as more schools open and the tuition reaches ridiculously new heights, the competition to get in will be dampened. The most competitive schools will be the cheapest schools, but there will be a plenty of schools that will happily take your kids money (through Uncle Sam or your savings).

There was a time that the GPA needed for many dental schools were higher than the GPA needed for their medical schools, and many medical school applicants were choosing to apply to dental school for dentistry’s lifestyle and income over medicine. I haven’t been tracking the relationship between tuition and GPA for dental schools the past 10-20 years, but I bet that has changed since. But we will see the opposite of the factors that made dentistry more competitive in the future. I personally know people who got into dental schools with sub 3.0 GPA, but their DAT was exceptional. I also personally know many dentists who are steering their children away from dentistry in the future, as they think that the golden age has been over and it will not be worth the huge debts and the financial stress that a future dentist will endure in the future.
I hope your prediction is correct. But for right now… despite the rise in tuition and opening of new schools, it’s much harder to get into dental schools now than when I applied years ago. The kids are so smart nowadays. I took AB Calculus when I was a senior in HS. My niece is only a 9th grader and she is taking Pre-Calculus. I got accepted to several dental schools with the undergrad of GPA of only 3.4 (3.5 or 3.6 science GPA). NYU dental school accepted me even when my DAT score hadn't been available yet (I took the exam very late). I don’t think any dental school will accept the student with a low GPA like mine. Luckily, I went to a P/F dental school, which later helped me I get accepted to an ortho program.

I hope my kids will grow up to be like these successful doctors here (https://www.smilesaintlouis.com/). The father was my former ortho instructor, whom I greatly admire. His son is a very famous Invisalign lecturer. And now his daughter joins their very successful practice.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I hope your prediction is correct. But for right now… despite the rise in tuition and opening of new schools, it’s much harder to get into dental schools now than when I applied years ago. The kids are so smart nowadays. I took AB Calculus when I was a senior in HS. My niece is only a 9th grader and she is taking Pre-Calculus. I got accepted to several dental schools with the undergrad of GPA of only 3.4 (3.5 or 3.6 science GPA). NYU dental school accepted me even when my DAT score hadn't been available yet (I took the exam very late). I don’t think any dental school will accept the student with a low GPA like mine. Luckily, I went to a P/F dental school, which later helped me I get accepted to an ortho program.

I hope my kids will grow up to be like these successful doctors here (https://www.smilesaintlouis.com/). The father was my former ortho instructor, whom I greatly admire. His son is a very famous Invisalign lecturer. And now his daughter joins their very successful practice.
My position on being a successful dentist is for the parent to focus more on saving as much as the can for their kids (in the millions of $$ as possible), so the kids at least have a safety net if their chosen plans don’t work out, just in case they end up chosing different path of career or delaying their parents intended plans.

Many parents financially plan to support their
kids with one career path, when in reality it could take multiple paths for the same plan to work out (ie. not having the kids to get into a professional school the first time and waiting a year or 2 to apply again, or losing interest in a career initially and waiting for few years until that interest comes back - by then, tuition and everything else could be much more expensive, or completely being stuck in a professional school and kids having hard time graduating - I know a classmate who spent 6-7 in a pre-doc program).

Some parents may give their kids one shot to get things right, but very often that could be too much pressure for the kids to go with such plan and odds. Parental pressure can lead to a self-fulfilled failed plan.

For every orthodontist with kids which also became orthodontists and joined their parents practice, there are hundreds of orthodontists with kids who didn’t.

Last edited:
We're on kids now. Good. Nice change of topic. We all want our kids to be successful, but at what costs? I come from an environment in that if you wanted something ... you went out and got it or achieved it without financial help from your parents. I provided the pathway for my kids to succeed, but the choice is THEIRS on what they want to do with their life. Success is not measured in $$$$$$. Yes ... of course $$$$$ makes things easier, but not always better.

Neither of my children wanted to pursue dentistry/ortho. One is in business/finance/marketing and the other is interested in Psychology. I support both kids with their decisions especially seeing the large dental school debt these kids have and future practice debt.

I don't care about how successful others may have it. Again, success can be measured in many different ways.

Maybe I'm selfish, but you also have to think about YOURSELF. Delayed gratification only goes so far. I want to enjoy life's pleasures whether they be material objects or not ..... when I am able to enjoy them. Wait too long .... and you may regret that decision.

When you get into your 50's ... you'll realize that TIME is the most important asset to have. I've secured enough wealth to be able to comfortably work PT in my 50's. I am healthy and motivated enough to continue to work till I'm 70 ... if I want. The key is that I get to do WHAT I WANT NOW.

Well .... it's Thursday am. Going out to take my dog for a walk and then off to the range to practice hitting some golf shots. :)

I

We're on kids now. Good. Nice change of topic. We all want our kids to be successful, but at what costs? I come from an environment in that if you wanted something ... you went out and got it or achieved it without financial help from your parents. I provided the pathway for my kids to succeed, but the choice is THEIRS on what they want to do with their life. Success is not measured in $$$$$$. Yes ... of course $$$$$ makes things easier, but not always better.

Neither of my children wanted to pursue dentistry/ortho. One is in business/finance/marketing and the other is interested in Psychology. I support both kids with their decisions especially seeing the large dental school debt these kids have and future practice debt.

I don't care about how successful others may have it. Again, success can be measured in many different ways.

Maybe I'm selfish, but you also have to think about YOURSELF. Delayed gratification only goes so far. I want to enjoy life's pleasures whether they be material objects or not ..... when I am able to enjoy them. Wait too long .... and you may regret that decision.

When you get into your 50's ... you'll realize that TIME is the most important asset to have. I've secured enough wealth to be able to comfortably work PT in my 50's. I am healthy and motivated enough to continue to work till I'm 70 ... if I want. The key is that I get to do WHAT I WANT NOW.

Well .... it's Thursday am. Going out to take my dog for a walk and then off to the range to practice hitting some golf shots. :)

I
No, you are not selfish. My wife and I are actually doing all these for ourselves…for our own happiness. Just like our parents, who had worked hard to give us the bright future in America, we can only be happy when we see our children grow up to be more successful than we are. Our kids are like a part of our body, which needs to be well taken care of. Just like we don’t like to exercise (or eat vegetable) but we have to because love our own body and want to continue to be healthy as we get older.

I
70 is the new retirement age, where you max out your social security and your retirement accounts (technically age 70.5) and still lead a healthy life.

I work 3 days now as a general dentist and I love it. No golf for me, or a dog to walk, but doing a lot of short cruises to see the world.

Yes. Time is precious

General dentistry simply isn't worth it anymore unless you can go to your state school. Reimbursement is down and saturation is up.

It is also getting harder for newbies like me to open a practice in the city (I'm looking about an hour outside the metro maybe more)

I wouldn't mind dentistry being made into a 5 or 6 year program to combat some of the debt issues. I have a family friend who got his degree in Europe. He may not have "Dr" in front of his name, but he has no debt either.

I wouldn't mind dentistry being made into a 5 or 6 year program to combat some of the debt issues. I have a family friend who got his degree in Europe. He may not have "Dr" in front of his name, but he has no debt either.
I think the reason your friend has no debt is every citizen in his country has to pay higher taxes to fund his education. When he gets out and starts working, his income will not be so great because a large portion of it will go toward paying taxes. Personally, I’d rather take out loan to pay for my own education and work hard to pay it back in 5-10 years than having to pay higher taxes for the rest of my life to support other people’s education.

It’s possible to get a DDS degree in 6-7 years and with less loan in America. If one works hard in high school and earns a lot of AP credits, he/she only needs 3 years to earn a BS degree. Some middle and high schools allow students to skip a grade. With good GPA + other extracurricular activities in high school, one can get full-tuition scholarship for the entire 4 years. And with good undergrad GPA + DAT score, one can get accepted to dental schools that charge lower tuitions. Hard work will pay off in the end.

Last edited:
I think the reason your friend has no debt is every citizen in his country has to pay higher taxes to fund his education. When he gets out and starts working, his income will not be so great because a large portion of it will go toward paying taxes. Personally, I’d rather take out loan to pay for my own education and work hard to pay it back in 5-10 years than having to pay higher taxes for the rest of my life to support other people’s education.

It’s possible to get a DDS degree in 6-7 years and with less loan in America. If one works hard in high school and earns a lot of AP credits, he/she only needs 3 years to earn a BS degree. Some middle and high schools allow students to skip a grade. With good GPA + other extracurricular activities in high school, one can get full-tuition scholarship for the entire 4 years. And with good undergrad GPA + DAT score, one can get accepted to dental schools that charge lower tuitions. Hard work will pay off in the end.

I completely agree as I watch 40% of my money go to the government. I just wish we could combat this problem.

I believe you can still get a DMD with 7 years as many schools do not technically require a degree. I know my school only required 90 credit hours, the DAT, and prerequisites to be completed. I know of at least 2 people who did not have college degrees in my class, but they were gunners 23+ DATs and 3.8+ GPAs.

General dentistry simply isn't worth it anymore unless you can go to your state school. Reimbursement is down and saturation is up.

It is also getting harder for newbies like me to open a practice in the city (I'm looking about an hour outside the metro maybe more)

Or if you are willing to go rural. I had classmates with guaranteed offers in the $250k range straight out of dental school. And I know some who beat that number their first year out. I think people who go to expensive schools AND only want to practice in a major metro are the ones where dentistry is not worth it. Unless they have a golden ticket with a family member’s practice.

I mean judging by the article the guy makes a good income, drives a used Tesla, and goes on vacations. He will most likely feel the burn in 25 years when he has to pay a $700,000 tax bomb. Articles like this will continue and probably cause some programs to close.
In 20 years, that 700k will be about 400k in today's money and totally manageable

In 20 years, that 700k will be about 400k in today's money and totally manageable
The article said he pays about $1,600 a month, which in 25 years = $500k, plus the $700k (as you said) = $1.2M. He will still pay over $1M+. Inflation or no inflation that’s still 7 figures that he needs to produce from patients with insurances that’s not increasing their fees year to year as much as inflation.

Or if you are willing to go rural. I had classmates with guaranteed offers in the $250k range straight out of dental school. And I know some who beat that number their first year out. I think people who go to expensive schools AND only want to practice in a major metro are the ones where dentistry is not worth it. Unless they have a golden ticket with a family member’s practice.
Who wants to live rural. It’s very isolated out there and defeats the purpose of choosing Dentistry in the first place, for lifestyle. Younger and future generations grew up in high social circles (digital or non digital) than previous generations.

Don’t get me wrong, the high student loans corners new grads to make harsh decisions, but it’s very unfortunate that the rural offices or the military are now the first 5 years of their career.

The schools and the government are to blame, and now we have finally hit $1.5 trillion in student loans nationally, and almost $1 trillion of that is owed by women. This ratio is also relatively true for dental students loans. So does that mean more and more women will go to rural offices and military? I personally don’t think that will be the case. The profession will be derailed eventually by the imbalance between education level finances and the real world finances.

I completely agree as I watch 40% of my money go to the government. I just wish we could combat this problem.

I believe you can still get a DMD with 7 years as many schools do not technically require a degree. I know my school only required 90 credit hours, the DAT, and prerequisites to be completed. I know of at least 2 people who did not have college degrees in my class, but they were gunners 23+ DATs and 3.8+ GPAs.
I didn’t have a college degree to get into a Boston program, but my DAT was up there. You have to stand out one way or the other. I don’t think we have reached the point where schools are accepting more applicants without a college degree. Perhaps when the tables turn on high tuition schools and they get desperate for applicants, maybe we will see that then.

Who wants to live rural. It’s very isolated out there and defeats the purpose of choosing Dentistry in the first place, for lifestyle. Younger and future generations grew up in high social circles (digital or non digital) than previous generations.

Don’t get me wrong, the high student loans corners new grads to make harsh decisions, but it’s very unfortunate that the rural offices or the military are now the first 5 years of their career.

The schools and the government are to blame, and now we have finally hit $1.5 trillion in student loans nationally, and almost $1 trillion of that is owed by women. This ratio is also relatively true for dental students loans. So does that mean more and more women will go to rural offices and military? I personally don’t think that will be the case. The profession will be derailed eventually by the imbalance between education level finances and the real world finances.
That is quite egocentric to think that everyone has the same requirements as you to attain their preferred lifestyle. Many of my classmates were born and raised in rural areas and wished to return to that type of environment. Living in a mega city is not the end all be all for every single person. Some prefer the relative isolation. Disclaimer: I was not raised in a rural area and currently am living in a large city, I too personally could not do rural dentistry.

That's still a large sum of money. Not sure if everyone here understands just how hard it is to save money while dealing with all of life's financial challenges. Dr. Meru will be nearing retirement age in 20 years and instead of funding his retirement fund .... he'll be dealing with a tax bomb.

Reactions: 3 users
That's still a large sum of money. Not sure if everyone here understands just how hard it is to save money while dealing with all of life's financial challenges. Dr. Meru will be nearing retirement age in 20 years and instead of funding his retirement fund .... he'll be dealing with a tax bomb.
If you can't save 400k in 20 years as an orthodontist you've made some terrible financial errors

That is quite egocentric to think that everyone has the same requirements as you to attain their preferred lifestyle. Many of my classmates were born and raised in rural areas and wished to return to that type of environment. Living in a mega city is not the end all be all for every single person. Some prefer the relative isolation. Disclaimer: I was not raised in a rural area and currently am living in a large city, I too personally could not do rural dentistry.
It’s not being egocentric, I worked in rural area myself, albeit it was for 6 months. There is a lot of money to be made in the rural areas, but the majority of young docs will not do it because they rather be in debt and live in a big city. I have classmates who worked in rural Midwest and in the south for 5 years, and I have seen them hate it (would never do it again) even though they paid off their loans. Yes, some may prefer isolation, but anything more 1-2 years, they will give in to the big change in lifestyle and the isolation, which is difficult.

Almost 70% of the people in this country will live in big city in the coming decades, and I would say that number would be even higher for people under 35. No amount of student loan debt will make future young docs move to rural. Look at the orthodontist in the wsj article above, he is living in a big city with $1.1M in student loans under his belt.

If you can't save 400k in 20 years as an orthodontist you've made some terrible financial errors
I’m sure he can save $400k over 20 years, that’s $20k a year post tax. Any dentist can save that amount of money, if they try. If everyone with huge debt plans to use this strategy, this loophole could eventually be closed. I can see this being utilized by new docs in their mid-20’s, and pay the huge tax forgiveness payment by their late 40’s. They would still be relatively young and still have 20 more years before full retirement.

I’m sure he can save $400k over 20 years, that’s $20k a year post tax. Any dentist can save that amount of money, if they try. If everyone with huge debt plans to use this strategy, this loophole could eventually be closed.
It isn't a loophole- the government is making their money back several times. He's paying a couple of thousand a month for 20 years plus 700k, really they're gouging the guy and the forgiveness just ends the gouging

What do you mean particularly by "the profession will be derailed eventually...."?

What do you mean particularly by "the profession will be derailed eventually...."?
As we see more $1M+ in student loan grads, there will eventually (at a tipping point) be less people applying to schools, and less people graduating and joining the workforce. The supply of dentists is expected to grow 6% over the next 5 years, but demand will be at 10% for the same period due to more older dentists retiring and population growth. If the supply of new dentists carry more and more unsustainable education debt, it will have a big effect on the profession’s supply of dentists in the long term.

It’s not being egocentric, I worked in rural area myself, albeit it was for 6 months. There is a lot of money to be made in the rural areas, but the majority of young docs will not do it because they rather be in debt and live in a big city. I have classmates who worked in rural Midwest and in the south for 5 years, and I have seen them hate it (would never do it again) even though they paid off their loans. Yes, some may prefer isolation, but anything more 1-2 years, they will give in to the big change in lifestyle and the isolation, which is difficult.

Almost 70% of the people in this country will live in big city in the coming decades, and I would say that number would be even higher for people under 35. No amount of student loan debt will make future young docs move to rural. Look at the orthodontist in the wsj article above, he is living in a big city with $1.1M in student loans under his belt.

Always love reading your posts. For some reason I thought your practice was in a really rural area in Ohio since it sounded like your office is doing really well based on your posts. Either way good that you're doing well in a suburban/metro area.

I'm currently in a rural area in Arizona and I am pretty much thinking of moving to a city. Folks are nice here but its way too boring for my liking (was never an outdoors person in the first place, unless you consider visiting the shooting range). Problem is Phoenix is out of the question when it comes to making good money and you can't convince me to move to Tucson. My issue mirrors a lot of dentists looking to work in a saturated/popular area.

I don't think profession will be derailed. The demography of applicants would definitely change, because it would be next to impossible to become a successful dentist without family help

I don't think profession will be derailed. The demography of applicants would definitely change, because it would be next to impossible to become a successful dentist without family help
Derailed not in the sense of the end of Dentistry, but Dentistry will be much different and be limited in many ways financially by insurance reimbursements, significant education loans on doctors, more corporatized offices, more dental therapists pushing to fill for dentists in shortage areas and eventually in some urban areas, and pretty much the continuous lack of dentists working together and organize to fight against these inevitable challenges.

Always love reading your posts. For some reason I thought your practice was in a really rural area in Ohio since it sounded like your office is doing really well based on your posts. Either way good that you're doing well in a suburban/metro area.

I'm currently in a rural area in Arizona and I am pretty much thinking of moving to a city. Folks are nice here but its way too boring for my liking (was never an outdoors person in the first place, unless you consider visiting the shooting range). Problem is Phoenix is out of the question when it comes to making good money and you can't convince me to move to Tucson. My issue mirrors a lot of dentists looking to work in a saturated/popular area.
My offices are in Columbus. I have a friend from Chicago and recently moved to El Paso, Texa. He is doing well and loves his job can, but hates the isolation. He knows no one there, but makes very good income. I visited him once and the city is bigger that I thought, but it was a big downgrade socially for my friend that he just goes home after work and tries to keep himself busy. It’s pretty much Groundhog Day for him almost every day. I know another friend from Miami, FL area, who lived and recently sold her practice after 5 years in Peioria, IL. She made a lot of money, but she had her own regrets too. At the outset, it’s very nice and exciting to get paid really well at a small town or rural areas, and make plans to pay off debt. But very often, it’s not for the majority of people... specially those who are from big towns or cities.

One of my concerns with the article is that reporter writes $225,000 earned leading some to believe this is not AGI. One way to confirm this is AGI is to input $225,000 in an IDR calculator (which results in a ~$1589/month payment). I'm fairly confident the $225k is AGI, which is net of employee retirement contributions, HSA contributions and possibly any non-reimbursed employee expenses (i.e., CE courses, association dues, dental equipment).

A 2nd concern is some assume he's paid as a W2 and not as 1099 IC. My experience with specialists working for PDS is it's fairly common for specialists to be paid as 1099 ICs. If so, his 1099 gross income might be closer to $325k. A $225k AGI could be achieved by he and his spouse participating in either a solo 401k or SEP IRA of about $53k per spouse in 2016.

I think Dr. Meru will be fine (in part due to taxpayers subsidizing these IDR programs).

Attachments

• Meru IDR Sim.jpg
    Meru IDR Sim.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Derailed not in the sense of the end of Dentistry, but Dentistry will be much different and be limited in many ways financially by insurance reimbursements, significant education loans on doctors, more corporatized offices, more dental therapists pushing to fill for dentists in shortage areas and eventually in some urban areas, and pretty much the continuous lack of dentists working together and organize to fight against these inevitable challenges.

All too true. Dentistry, as with all healthcare, is changing with the times. There is such a push for universal healthcare. Dentistry will be sucked into this. As for educational loans .... not that I endorse further govt regulation, but the DS debt situation needs reeled in. Corporate offices will be increasing. They already are. From my viewpoint working for a Corp .... the easy money for the Corps is gone. What I see is that the Corps are now competing with other Corps .... so I would venture that some hedgefund manager, Harvard MBA, etc. will come up with a "new" strategy for Corp dentistry in the future. Dental therapists will only increase. Looks like DT are now able to practice in my state of Arizona. As for dentists working together. They've tried. I see my local dental and American Assoc of Orthodontists trying to improve the dental environment, but in the end ...... nothing seems to improve. What I see are movements of the Specialists (Ortho) to educate the general public on the difference between a GP and an Orthodontist. Our version of Trump's trade isolationist direction. Protect our turf. Sadly it has come to this.

If you save 5,000 a year from 22 to 59.5 you should have just over 1 million dollars. If you save 5,000 a year from 34 to 59.5 you should have about 650k. You can safely give yourself a salary of about 4% of your net worth each year. If you have 3 million in savings you would give yourself a salary of 120k. If you purchase a modest middle class home and car first and get them paid off you can then invest your house and car money. As long as the market is doing well your money will go twice as far as if you took out a loan. Your 40k truck will turn into a 40k truck with a 30k boat. Your 550k home will turn into a 1 million home. A father and a mother can each gift their kids something like 15k annually tax free, total of 30k, tax free. If this guy 1.1 in debt makes his payments and puts like 60k a year into savings he should be a very wealthy man when he retires and easily cover the tax bomb. His house is already paid off. It is still risky because you still have to worry about the market crashing around the time your going to pay the tax bomb.

Last edited: