Wall Street Journal/Verbal Study Tactics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cellneuro23

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was told that a helpful way to study for the MCAT Verbal is to read the Wall Street Journal.

Since there are no questions following the articles (sadly lol), I'm not quite sure what I should be doing. I was planning on quickly summarizing each article in my head after reading them, but I'm not sure how helpful that will be for preparing for verbal. Are there any useful tactics I could employ while reading these articles? Has anybody done this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! :)
-J

Members don't see this ad.

Reading only helps when you're far away from your test date. If you're within 3 months, your time would be better spent taking practice verbal passages.

When you're done reading an article try writing down or thinking about these things:

1. Main idea of article
2. Author's opinion
3. If there were MCAT questions following this article, what would they look like?
4. If you had to come up with the answer choices to the above questions, how would you trick people into picking a wrong choice?

why the WSJ in particular? I would think the NYT and Post are more than worthy for our attention

I'm about six months away from test date, so the tactics that you suggested will certainly be helpful... thank you! Please let me know if you come up with any more advice. :)

As an aside, I think I've been recommended to use the WSJ because some of my friends taking MCAT classes were given "complimentary" subscriptions to it... I'm sure that the Post and the NYT are just as good, if not better, for verbal practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's just a marketing scheme. The other poster that mentioned the parent companies is correct. You can pretty much read any source of news to practice.