Walmart hours reductions to non-pharmacy managers??

Started by tongiecc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tongiecc

Junior Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just curious, but heard from a little bird that the area walmart DOP said 'if you aren't a manager, I can't guarantee more than 30 hours' - ie those that are asst managers are going to have thier hours cut to 24-32 hours/wk. From my understanding at most walmarts there are 3 Rph's at each, with two people working each day for 10 hours, which they would effectively be cut to 6-8 hours shifts or maybe even told to do the Kmart thing and have only one pharmacist all day (12 hrs). Not sure on the hours logistics but was just curious if anyone had heard anything similar.
So from this thread I would like to know:
1. If any of you have heard anything similar
2. Also if anyone has heard of walmart rolling out central fill and whether this may be part of that scheme

Please no non-productive comments about the job market in general (you have plenty of threads to vent in those about the 'surplus' and how 'terrible things are/sky is falling' or how 'everyone is lying about the surplus b/c my cr*ppy 50K/yr private school says I'll have a job') I would like to have professional/productive resposes only.

**Disclosure: I don't work at walmart or retail, so this is just an FYI for me, but I appreciate all productive comments as I feel that we are all unified in this profession and it is always good to know what is going on in the various areas of the profession.
 
I know they have central fill in Houston, TX. I've recently been seeing job postings for their central fill pharmacy. I'm not sure if they are hiring in preparation to starting it or if already started.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My best buddy is a Walmart manager. I will ask.

Thanks buddy! To be honest, it sounds like they are just behind the times in terms of cutting hours and are moving in the direction of CVS, WG, et al. I think the central fill won't likely pan out (just like with WG 'POWER', which you hear nothing about now)

BTW, now that I re-read my post it sounds pretty lame there on the last comment; not trying to be a meanie, but you get what I'm saying that it would be nice to not get thread-jacked (though it is likely a near certainty on here:laugh:) I just don't really get anything out of the bickering, thats all
 
Wags Power failed and they just don't want to admit to it. The new thing is the "Well Experience" concept. It is not in my state, and so, I can't say anything about it. A Wag with normal hours 8am-9pm or 10 pm has 2.5 pharmacists.
 
Wags Power failed and they just don't want to admit to it. The new thing is the "Well Experience" concept. It is not in my state, and so, I can't say anything about it. A Wag with normal hours 8am-9pm or 10 pm has 2.5 pharmacists.

Cool. I have several friends who work for WG and were worried about it's effects, so glad to hear it didn't get off the ground. Thanks for the info on the staffing typicals too! It's good to contiually learn about the various places of employement in our profession, IMO
 
In response to the original question, there is no across the board reduction in pharmacist hours. There are coverage guidelines with respect to the number of hours given to each store depending on the volume that the store does. Stores on central fill are given the same guidelines as non-central fill stores. If originally a store was over-staffed, that may be the only reason to cut hours.
 
I had a contract from Walmart that guaranteed me 40 hours. So I would be quite happy if they cut my hours to 20 hours or so .. I would still be owed 40 hours pay (it said so in the contract). I think all contracts for pharmacists are similar (at least in my region, not sure nationwide).. so I call BS on this story.
 
I had a contract from Walmart that guaranteed me 40 hours. So I would be quite happy if they cut my hours to 20 hours or so .. I would still be owed 40 hours pay (it said so in the contract). I think all contracts for pharmacists are similar (at least in my region, not sure nationwide).. so I call BS on this story.

Good to know, from this and what Z and the others have said, it sounds like it is either isolated to that district or is (more likely) just a rumor; I always thought walmart went for FT 40hrs for their rphs too, so makes sense(plus you need at least 3 pharmds to staff when you have the volumes Wally worlds typically have)
 
Wags Power failed and they just don't want to admit to it. The new thing is the "Well Experience" concept. It is not in my state, and so, I can't say anything about it. A Wag with normal hours 8am-9pm or 10 pm has 2.5 pharmacists.

Walgreens POWER has not failed and still in full effect in a few states especially FL. Power has it's advantages and negatives. I work under a POWER store and what i love about it is the fact they take most of our calls because phones can drive you up a wall.
The problem i see in the future though is a stronger push to cut hours like crazy when these companies are paying their CEO's 10-100 million a year but i see that backfiring already.
 
I'm at a Well Experience store and the CPO "screening" our calls is a great feature, but we still seem to get some of the more interesting people get through to us.

I'm pretty sure that the Well Experience is the new POWER, so to speak. It seems that it has a lot going for it, but many things that need to be tweaked. One nice thing is the increase in tech hours that we have gotten, but it is necessary if they want the pharmacist to sit at a desk.
 
Just curious, but heard from a little bird that the area walmart DOP said 'if you aren't a manager, I can't guarantee more than 30 hours' - ie those that are asst managers are going to have thier hours cut to 24-32 hours/wk. From my understanding at most walmarts there are 3 Rph's at each, with two people working each day for 10 hours, which they would effectively be cut to 6-8 hours shifts or maybe even told to do the Kmart thing and have only one pharmacist all day (12 hrs). Not sure on the hours logistics but was just curious if anyone had heard anything similar.
So from this thread I would like to know:
1. If any of you have heard anything similar
2. Also if anyone has heard of walmart rolling out central fill and whether this may be part of that scheme

Please no non-productive comments about the job market in general (you have plenty of threads to vent in those about the 'surplus' and how 'terrible things are/sky is falling' or how 'everyone is lying about the surplus b/c my cr*ppy 50K/yr private school says I'll have a job') I would like to have professional/productive resposes only.

**Disclosure: I don't work at walmart or retail, so this is just an FYI for me, but I appreciate all productive comments as I feel that we are all unified in this profession and it is always good to know what is going on in the various areas of the profession.

Sorry, if my response may not be useful to you. The way they've been cutting tech hours, I'm not surprised that they are cutting pharmacist hours too. Luckily where I work they have only cut tech hours so far, mostly because the company didn't want to shorten our pharmacy operating hours. I'm actually more receptive to pharmacist hour cuts than tech hours. It's not that it's cool to have our hours cut, it's just that pharmacists make much more than techs. A few hours to us wouldn't hurt as much as for a tech only making about $10 an hour. Well of course it would be really bad if they are cutting the pharmacist hours by half...😳