Walmart or Walgreens internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carni91

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello

So in less than a day I will begin my internship at Walgreens but I was recently offered an internship at Walmart where I previously worked, and technically still work my two week notice mark is today. Now I am torn with the decision of who to work for, personally I liked working for walmart and it's a really big company with good opportunities in the future, the same can be said with Walgreens. Basically I would like to hear the opinions of anybody who currently interns or has interned at one of these two locations, and tell me what they think.

I have been told that Walgreens calculates intern hours with the technician hours so a intern may not get many hours during the summer, while walmart interns can get as many as they want (up to 40).

Members don't see this ad.

So, did Wal-Mart only offer you the internship after you gave you notice that you were going to Walgreens? If so, do you really trust them?

I had a similar situation when I was in pharmacy school, the place I had worked at for 2 years was giving me the run-around and not giving me any hours, a competing pharmacy offered me a job and I took it. A couple of weeks later, the first pharmacy calls me up wanting me back. I told them no thanks (pharmacy IS a small world in local areas, and I knew they had heard about my new job and were only calling me up because of their competitiveness with the other pharmacy.) Even thought the first job was far closer to my home & more ideal in other respects, I realized I couldn't trust them for any longevity. What was to keep them from doing the same thing and not give me any hours after I quit the new job and went back to them?

My advice, it sounds like Wal-Mart is only interested in keeping you from Walgreens, if they weren't willing to give you the internship before you took another job, I wouldn't trust them to keep you employed just because you went back to them.

Hello

So in less than a day I will begin my internship at Walgreens but I was recently offered an internship at Walmart where I previously worked, and technically still work my two week notice mark is today. Now I am torn with the decision of who to work for, personally I liked working for walmart and it's a really big company with good opportunities in the future, the same can be said with Walgreens. Basically I would like to hear the opinions of anybody who currently interns or has interned at one of these two locations, and tell me what they think.

I have been told that Walgreens calculates intern hours with the technician hours so a intern may not get many hours during the summer, while walmart interns can get as many as they want (up to 40).

Go with Wags.. Wal-Mart does not care about its pharmacists one bit , just do some research (stealing workers pay, firing for unavoidable errors , mandatory retraining underpaid technician staff).. wags is pioneering pharmacy practice and pharmacists are the backbone... Just saying. Wal-Mart is a decently cushy rph job but, think about the prospect of Bentonville .. also the substantial wage gap ? Only one clear choice here.

The one you pick is going to determine your career prospects at this point.. who would you rather work for when you get out ?