Walmart pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Corpseman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
currently a pharmacist with Kroger, but hours are being cut all around. We are barely getting 32 hours a week, so I am looking to move on. Walmart offered me a job based on 40 hours per week, but I am unfamiliar with their company practices.

Is it a good company to work for as a pharmacist? What is the job outlook at this point for them? Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I would jump on it. Think same retail bs and metrics but you get cashiers and adequate tech help, plus 30min to 1 hour lunch break depending on the store.

Reactions: 1 users
currently a pharmacist with Kroger, but hours are being cut all around. We are barely getting 32 hours a week, so I am looking to move on. Walmart offered me a job based on 40 hours per week, but I am unfamiliar with their company practices.

Is it a good company to work for as a pharmacist? What is the job outlook at this point for them? Any other thoughts?

Thanks!
Coming from CVS, it’s much better at Walmart. However, we are seeing cost cutting initiatives continuing to roll out due to decreasing reimbursement. So, it may not be a great place to work forever, but I recommend it for now.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would jump to get more hours if that's what you want (more $$, pay off loan, save for the future, retire soon.) It's not that bad, off course they still want you to do everything else beside getting the scripts out (IMZ, adherence, cholesterol/A1c testing, etc)

Lots of Kroger pharmacists jumping ship. My retail contact is a Kroger pharmacist and they bailed on the company around Christmas.

Coming from CVS, it’s much better at Walmart. However, we are seeing cost cutting initiatives continuing to roll out due to decreasing reimbursement. So, it may not be a great place to work forever, but I recommend it for now.

If you interview with them what are they looking for? I have worked for Walgreens and CVS, interviewed unsuccessfully with Walmart. From what I understand they are strict when it comes to company policy and have a higher standard for quality. Thank you.

Only one thing I do not like Walmart is that you need consult every single NEW Rx , But I do like 10% employee discount !

Let me preface this by saying that your experience at WM like in any pharmacy chain has a lot to do with the quality of the RPH, techs and field management and the patient demographics but that is your standard boilerplate.

Walmart isn't exactly great but it's better than CVS for most people. RxConnect sucks but Connexus is not a good system. Anyone who thinks Connexus is good doesn't recognize all the bottlenecks unrelated to safety that impede workflow. Plus 45 min for e-scripts most of the day is ******ed unless your staff is super efficient (LOL...................). I had lazy-ass turtle techs that can't even type 20 Rx an hour by themselves at drop-off and keep the inbox and outbox clean and handle basic insurance reject issues. In the meantime 40 e-scripts just got dumped. It's hard to get rid of techs too because they will open door your ass for b.s. reasons like you hurt their feelings by saying you need to stop spamming F4 and do something actually useful (I welcome it but it just takes longer because of extra steps.) Much easier to write people up at CVS in my experience.

At least in my area I have to remember a lot of these people are losers who couldn't get into Kaiser or a cushier desk job. (Look in the mirror right)

I used to hate mandatory consult but now I just work close to CVS speed to compensate (e-scripts take 3-5 seconds; there is ample time to check profile and such when your store is lower volume) and come up with random B.S. on consult to smooth over interactions with irritated patients. The problem is most employees are turtles used to having 6 support staff everyday for 1700 Rx/week. All my semi-decent new hires are closer to my productivity expectations. Most old RPH and techs are ****. You wonder where all the idiot RPHs that call/fax prescriber on Ventolin vs ProAir work or Levemir Flexpen vs Levemir Flextouch or Qvar vs Qvar RediHaler? They all work for WM or Sam's Club apparently.

The workflow scales really poorly to higher volumes too. I mean I've only worked in **** areas with **** doctors and **** patients my whole "career" and 2800/week sold at CVS by yourself in a snowbird area is not fun but at least you can clear the queue with you, 2 good techs at in-window and 4 placeholders even with all CIIs being presented in-person. If you have to do QT and input a little bit in the early morning and late night so be it. I am not making that up either because I used to hit 90-95 on WeCARE regularly. If you had an equivalent WeCARE score at WM the company average for anything above 1500/week would be like 30 in Northern California.

WM really is a freak show if you work in areas with a lot of Medicaid (bad FQHCs and low-income clinics up the ass) so try to steer away from those stores if you can, even Neighborhood Market.

I also laugh when I hear RPH complain that a 2000/week store should have triple RPH coverage every day. Yeah it should have triple coverage a few days every two weeks so I can take care of my manager bull****, not for you to have a ****ing vacation every day and verify 100 scripts. TBF I am super jaded and immune to all customer theatrics/antics while most RPH are scared of their own shadow. Support hour wise I am seeing 210-230 hrs for 1700-1800 sold/week (I'd have to look at numbers for other stores) so that is still nominally better than a lot of CVS locations probably but you still have to consider the extra daily tasks involved and I would expect more cuts because reimbursement is getting worse, DIR b.s., they think "digital engagement" (more people using the website, the app, and Mobile Express) will increase efficiency and justify more cuts to support hours without addressing the root causes of inefficiency (having to do with Connexus itself).

I think as RXM if you come from CVS you would be really annoyed at all the B.S. you and your people are supposed to do regularly plus some miscellaneous inventory management things you don't have to deal with at CVS... it's like you moved from CVS to avoid it right? Everything is fragmented and not built into the software/workflow so it's really annoying, from error reporting to adherence calls.

Oh yes, finally... performance evals and bonuses. RXM can get a good bonus based on the total box sales your WM pumps out (SC RXM generally get a better bonus than your GM with limited grocery) so it is possible to hit 15,000-20,000 bonus assuming you work at a high-volume SC with "good" store-controlled profit control (and that is before the bonus multipliers for stores that do more than 140k Rx a year or whatever the cutoff is) without really having a profitable pharmacy. 50% of the bonus last two years was based on customer service surveys and script volume. The other 50% is based on the whole store. Staff usually get a crap bonus. But now performance raises are 50 cents for solid, $1 for exceeds and $2 for role model. But hey most people still get a raise??!?! You can kill it on sales and profit to plan or immunizations or order performance and get a nice bonus but still get a 50 cent raise. I'll take the fat bonus though.

So to conclude my poorly formed ramble Walmart has a lot of B.S. like other chains and nominally better staffing, both RPH and tech/support but the trend line is downward as far as job satisfaction is concerned

Necro edit (Feb 20, 2021): "Solid performer" these days (don't know when it was implemented) 50 cents, $1.00 for "exceeds expectation, and $2.00 for role model, so they even went below what was announced for the FY2018 evals ($0.50/$1.50/$2.50 for SP/EE/RM). LOL

Attachments

• raise.png
    raise.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
I am currently at a 2100/week store and I haven't had overlap in a long time. Kroger seems to be screwing the pooch on this one. Time to get out.

Thanks!

I hate to rub it in your face but you were one of those pharmacy students who didn't believe in the job saturation. You also thought Kroger was doing well when it was obvious they were not.

I am surprised you are getting an offer for 40 hours per week without being a pharmacy manager. They haven't hired anybody in over a year for more than 72 hours in my area, and this is supposedly a hard to staff area.

I hate to rub it in your face but you were one of those pharmacy students who didn't believe in the job saturation. You also thought Kroger was doing well when it was obvious they were not.

At the time they were doing well and there probably was a time I didn't believe (or I refused to see the truth) about saturation.... but that didn't last long. I almost quit during my P2 year because of it, so you can go ahead and rub it in my face I guess.

I'm willing to accept that I was naive at one point. However, that is besides the point now and doesn't really contribute to the conversation and there may have been times I disagreed with you, but I've always listened to you because you do seem to know your ****.

^ it is hard to see it when you are a student. In a way, you want to believe it. I have been there so I get where you are coming from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently at a 2100/week store and I haven't had overlap in a long time. Kroger seems to be screwing the pooch on this one. Time to get out.

For any grocer/mass merch you are getting screwed with no overlap @2100. My WM fills less than 2100 and we get overlap M-F. I had no idea kroger was so thin now! Highly recommend WM, but as you will read on here there are significant drawbacks with connexus and tech help.

I am surprised you are getting an offer for 40 hours per week without being a pharmacy manager. They haven't hired anybody in over a year for more than 72 hours in my area, and this is supposedly a hard to staff area.

Not sure where you are but in my area there are always shifts to pickup so if you're 48/56/72 flex you can hit 80 per check easy with the +3 premium included. It was weird when I came on too, they couldn't do 40 but I always do 40 + a week.

At the time they were doing well and there probably was a time I didn't believe (or I refused to see the truth) about saturation.... but that didn't last long. I almost quit during my P2 year because of it, so you can go ahead and rub it in my face I guess.

I'm willing to accept that I was naive at one point. However, that is besides the point now and doesn't really contribute to the conversation and there may have been times I disagreed with you, but I've always listened to you because you do seem to know your ****.

I almost quit in P3 due to saturation but stuck it out!! So far its paying off, or maybe rph's just hate living in my quiet area...If WM is offering you 40 there is demand for rph labor in your area still.

Let me preface this by saying that your experience at WM like in any pharmacy chain has a lot to do with the quality of the RPH, techs and field management and the patient demographics but that is your standard boilerplate.

Walmart isn't exactly great but it's better than CVS for most people. RxConnect sucks but Connexus is not a good system. Anyone who thinks Connexus is good doesn't recognize all the bottlenecks unrelated to safety that impede workflow. Plus 45 min for e-scripts most of the day is ******ed unless your staff is super efficient (LOL...................). I had lazy-ass turtle techs that can't even type 20 Rx an hour by themselves at drop-off and keep the inbox and outbox clean and handle basic insurance reject issues. In the meantime 40 e-scripts just got dumped. It's hard to get rid of techs too because they will open door your ass for b.s. reasons like you hurt their feelings by saying you need to stop spamming F4 and do something actually useful (I welcome it but it just takes longer because of extra steps.) Much easier to write people up at CVS in my experience.

At least in my area I have to remember a lot of these people are losers who couldn't get into Kaiser or a cushier desk job. (Look in the mirror right)

I used to hate mandatory consult but now I just work close to CVS speed to compensate (e-scripts take 3-5 seconds; there is ample time to check profile and such when your store is lower volume) and come up with random B.S. on consult to smooth over interactions with irritated patients. The problem is most employees are turtles used to having 6 support staff everyday for 1700 Rx/week. All my semi-decent new hires are closer to my productivity expectations. Most old RPH and techs are ****. You wonder where all the idiot RPHs that call/fax prescriber on Ventolin vs ProAir work or Levemir Flexpen vs Levemir Flextouch or Qvar vs Qvar RediHaler? They all work for WM or Sam's Club apparently.

The workflow scales really poorly to higher volumes too. I mean I've only worked in **** areas with **** doctors and **** patients my whole "career" and 2800/week sold at CVS by yourself in a snowbird area is not fun but at least you can clear the queue with you, 2 good techs at in-window and 4 placeholders even with all CIIs being presented in-person. If you have to do QT and input a little bit in the early morning and late night so be it. I am not making that up either because I used to hit 90-95 on WeCARE regularly. If you had an equivalent WeCARE score at WM the company average for anything above 1500/week would be like 30 in Northern California.

WM really is a freak show if you work in areas with a lot of Medicaid (bad FQHCs and low-income clinics up the ass) so try to steer away from those stores if you can, even Neighborhood Market.

I also laugh when I hear RPH complain that a 2000/week store should have triple RPH coverage every day. Yeah it should have triple coverage a few days every two weeks so I can take care of my manager bull****, not for you to have a ****ing vacation every day and verify 100 scripts. TBF I am super jaded and immune to all customer theatrics/antics while most RPH are scared of their own shadow. Support hour wise I am seeing 210-230 hrs for 1700-1800 sold/week (I'd have to look at numbers for other stores) so that is still nominally better than a lot of CVS locations probably but you still have to consider the extra daily tasks involved and I would expect more cuts because reimbursement is getting worse, DIR b.s., they think "digital engagement" (more people using the website, the app, and Mobile Express) will increase efficiency and justify more cuts to support hours without addressing the root causes of inefficiency (having to do with Connexus itself).

I think as RXM if you come from CVS you would be really annoyed at all the B.S. you and your people are supposed to do regularly plus some miscellaneous inventory management things you don't have to deal with at CVS... it's like you moved from CVS to avoid it right? Everything is fragmented and not built into the software/workflow so it's really annoying, from error reporting to adherence calls.

Oh yes, finally... performance evals and bonuses. RXM can get a good bonus based on the total box sales your WM pumps out (SC RXM generally get a better bonus than your GM with limited grocery) so it is possible to hit 15,000-20,000 bonus assuming you work at a high-volume SC with "good" store-controlled profit control (and that is before the bonus multipliers for stores that do more than 140k Rx a year or whatever the cutoff is) without really having a profitable pharmacy. 50% of the bonus last two years was based on customer service surveys and script volume. The other 50% is based on the whole store. Staff usually get a crap bonus. But now performance raises are 50 cents for solid, $1 for exceeds and $1.50 for role model. But hey most people still get a raise??!?! You can kill it on sales and profit to plan or immunizations or order performance and get a nice bonus but still get a 50 cent raise. I'll take the fat bonus though.

So to conclude my poorly formed ramble Walmart has a lot of B.S. like other chains and nominally better staffing, both RPH and tech/support but the trend line is downward as far as job satisfaction is concerned

I'm curious if wal mart staffing/operation model promotes slow techs overall. I only ask because any tech I've ever hired that was previously a long time wal mart tech has been slow as **** and couldn't multi task. My sample size is small, but I've had multiple techs with years of wal mart experience that never worked out/couldn't hack it at my stores.

WM workflow sucks but you don't have to be slow. If anything you have to be more efficient doing things manually that are already automated or streamlined by RxConnect and doing things that do not exist at CVS (or did not exist back then) like validating the contents of hard copy files. (Also as I recall CVS now makes you verify on-hold Rx. We do that all the time at WM so you could be verifying 40-50 on-hold Rx for a lot of random OTCs or too soon to fill Rx out of 150-200 total Rx verified) In reality the culture of a lot of stores is just work at the same snail's pace, always reacting to **** and not being proactive, and just shrug at having to do "surprise" waiters when **** could have been done 8 hours ago. I have tried very hard to instill a culture of being proactive and efficient wherever I go because 1) it should be ****ing obvious; 2) patients do not care if you are behind; they just want their scripts; 3) it makes the day go by smoothly

CVS FT pharmacists (not floaters or Longs Drugs RPH) who come to WM generally are good at WM. Those who started at WM almost invariably suck, don't see the big picture of the pt profile, can't prioritize work, have tunnel vision etc. I seen it at "busy" stores with 190 in 4-point with no call outs (what a joke) and the store only did 2.1k/week. Of course this is just my own observations and small sample but I wouldn't be surprised to see the same elsewhere.

Last edited:

Thanks!

Do it and don't even look back. WM is one of the last oases of pharmacy. If you're a floater, it's gonna suck at first. My friend quit cuz they had her traveling like 2 hours between stores and sht. Some days she was on the road for like 3-4 hours. She found a hospital gig later though.

I'm curious if wal mart staffing/operation model promotes slow techs overall. I only ask because any tech I've ever hired that was previously a long time wal mart tech has been slow as **** and couldn't multi task. My sample size is small, but I've had multiple techs with years of wal mart experience that never worked out/couldn't hack it at my stores.

I'm not sure where you work but as far as I know, Walmart pays techs better than most retail pharmacies. I know they pay better than Walgreens and CVS. I don't know why a Walmart tech would want to start over at another pharmacy unless the pharmacy manager didn't want them, so what you're probably seeing is that long term Walmart techs who leave Walmart tend to be slow.

Thanks!

Did they offer you 40 hours or did they say it's for a "full time position". 48, 56, 64 and 72 base hours are considered full time at Walmart. You get benefits and everything else. 80 hours are unheard of. It's been almost two years since a staff pharmacist in my area was hired for 80 hours.

I would jump on it. Think same retail bs and metrics but you get cashiers and adequate tech help, plus 30min to 1 hour lunch break depending on the store.

Like @Sine Cura said, you definitely get more breathing bodies, but that does not mean they're of any use. There are good techs but they're outnumbered by very mediocre techs. They're also impossible to get rid of.

Like @Sine Cura said, you definitely get more breathing bodies, but that does not mean they're of any use. There are good techs but they're outnumbered by very mediocre techs. They're also impossible to get rid of.

I think some of the WM techs are bad because it is so staffed up. I joined WM 1 year ago and every single tech moved like a slug except one. I don’t agree it’s hard to get rid of them though; Walmart is surprisingly strict and most aren’t following the rules. Coach on SOP and it’s easy to release them. I have found it hard to find new techs though; I think most people have a negative perception of Walmart and most want to work for WAG or CVS for some reason. I guess they see them as “real” pharmacies.

I think some of the WM techs are bad because it is so staffed up. I joined WM 1 year ago and every single tech moved like a slug except one. I don’t agree it’s hard to get rid of them though; Walmart is surprisingly strict and most aren’t following the rules. Coach on SOP and it’s easy to release them. I have found it hard to find new techs though; I think most people have a negative perception of Walmart and most want to work for WAG or CVS for some reason. I guess they see them as “real” pharmacies.

I see your point. Thing is they always find a way to open door you. No matter how free of feelings or how neutral you keep it, they always find their way to that ethics line and then your boss runs like a coyote to get the pharmacy manager on the hot seat. It is also hard to get rid of them because of "Just culture". Unless the technician says he/she refuses to try to improve, then they get a second, third, fourth, fifth chance. And if you get rid of them... who are you going to replace them with? Their inbred cousins from the same small town?
They all see the pharmacy as their escape from store management where they get to chat all day. In reality, no one wants to hear their banal talk.

I see your point. Thing is they always find a way to open door you. No matter how free of feelings or how neutral you keep it, they always find their way to that ethics line and then your boss runs like a coyote to get the pharmacy manager on the hot seat. It is also hard to get rid of them because of "Just culture". Unless the technician says he/she refuses to try to improve, then they get a second, third, fourth, fifth chance. And if you get rid of them... who are you going to replace them with? Their inbred cousins from the same small town?
They all see the pharmacy as their escape from store management where they get to chat all day. In reality, no one wants to hear their banal talk.

I think that this method of using the ethics line is universal among chains. At the chain I worked at this is how the techs would become the de facto managers of the pharmacy. I also believe the availability of good technicians is next to none. Who is going to work in the kind of environment for the kind of pay who is punctual, hardworking, cooperative and conscientious?

It's true that they can try to get you on ethics (to all of the people who complain about pharmacists who call on things like switching amoxicillin tablets to capsules, this is why), but retaliation is itself a violation of ethics so that might be a two way street.

The pharmacy manager can make a policy that no off-topic conversation is allowed and hold people accountable for that. I know of some Walmarts that do that.

It's true that they can try to get you on ethics (to all of the people who complain about pharmacists who call on things like switching amoxicillin tablets to capsules, this is why), but retaliation is itself a violation of ethics so that might be a two way street.

The pharmacy manager can make a policy that no off-topic conversation is allowed and hold people accountable for that. I know of some Walmarts that do that.

Really? How are they able to do that? I'd like to know. Sometimes it's just easier to tune everything out; especially if you're floating. But sometimes it's story after story.
My thing is that the pharmacy is a professional & clinical environment. I am all for keeping it light and pleasant but it's not OK for patients to get the impression that you're having a stand-up comedy session back there and likely not paying attention to what you're doing.
Did the pharmacy manager issue a memo and people signed it? Where is the line?

Really? How are they able to do that? I'd like to know. Sometimes it's just easier to tune everything out; especially if you're floating. But sometimes it's story after story.
My thing is that the pharmacy is a professional & clinical environment. I am all for keeping it light and pleasant but it's not OK for patients to get the impression that you're having a stand-up comedy session back there and likely not paying attention to what you're doing.
Did the pharmacy manager issue a memo and people signed it? Where is the line?

The pharmacy manager can set a policy. You just tell everybody that this is how it is now. If they don't do it, you "retrain" them and document the discussion (send an email to yourself saying you told Joe Schmoe the new expectations - you can use a witness if you really want to CYA). If they repeatedly fail to behave the way they are supposed to, you can write them up.

As the pharmacist, and especially as the pharmacy manager, you are responsible for everything that goes on, most importantly accurately dispensed prescriptions. You don't have to put up with behaviors that contribute to errors. As long as you aren't telling people to do something illegal or discriminating against a protected group or something like that, you can set policies beyond what it says in the law and company policy to make the desired result happen.

The pharmacy manager can set a policy. You just tell everybody that this is how it is now. If they don't do it, you "retrain" them and document the discussion (send an email to yourself saying you told Joe Schmoe the new expectations - you can use a witness if you really want to CYA). If they repeatedly fail to behave the way they are supposed to, you can write them up.

As the pharmacist, and especially as the pharmacy manager, you are responsible for everything that goes on, most importantly accurately dispensed prescriptions. You don't have to put up with behaviors that contribute to errors. As long as you aren't telling people to do something illegal or discriminating against a protected group or something like that, you can set policies beyond what it says in the law and company policy to make the desired result happen.

And Walmart supports you in this?

It really depends on your MHWD and store management not to be skittish about bad apples. I have a million ways to get rid of **** techs but usually I get people on attendance or compliance issues only. Performance not so much due to the whole "giving people another chance" B.S.

Like even writing people up for being late from lunch on a weekend (when the pharmacy is closed for lunch) is not even permissible. It's a clear customer service shortfall and insubordination. How easy can it get? But nooooo the tech can be late from lunch without repercussion. Total B.S.

Thanks for your insight on this. Like you said, it is easier to get them on tardiness, though.

It really depends on your MHWD and store management not to be skittish about bad apples. I have a million ways to get rid of **** techs but usually I get people on attendance or compliance issues only. Performance not so much due to the whole "giving people another chance" B.S.

Like even writing people up for being late from lunch on a weekend (when the pharmacy is closed for lunch) is not even permissible. It's a clear customer service shortfall and insubordination. How easy can it get? But nooooo the tech can be late from lunch without repercussion. Total B.S.
I have written people up for being late back from lunch. Maybe on the weekend it's different because of the half hour lunch when they're supposed to get an hour (I've never tried to write someone up for being back late on a weekend in particular) but I have made people work extra weekends instead of the regular rotation for doing that.

Hats off to Walmart because I have worked at so many places that don't allow pharmacists to supervise techs. And surprise, what do you get? Tardiness, rudeness customers, techs counseling customers, hung over techs, insubordination and worse yet criminal behavior

How do you get rid of techs who are rude to customers and staff and insubordinate to management? Seems easier than hitting them on tardiness