Walmart vs Wallgreens

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aryad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys,
I have worked for walmart for about 1.5 years now,8 months as an intern and about 8-9 months as a part time pharmacist. Part time ,as the DM is not willing to give me a close by store and the full time store she offered is way too far for me.I happened to get in touch with a Wallgreens DM today and she wants to interview me for part time position.
There is no immediate benefit that I see -- may be a hike in salary ( get paid $54/hr in MI with walmart).Or may be some fixed hours at stores close to my house.And the fact that I am just frustrated with my own DM for not placing me where he could have inspite of constant requests.

This is the first time I have heard from any chain or hospital in the past so many months that I have been trying to switch job.

What do you think guys .. is walgreens a better chain in any terms than walmart.. ( since i may still get only part time position at walgreens too..)

Would much appreciate any suggestions.
A

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Guys,
I have worked for walmart for about 1.5 years now,8 months as an intern and about 8-9 months as a part time pharmacist. Part time ,as the DM is not willing to give me a close by store and the full time store she offered is way too far for me.I happened to get in touch with a Wallgreens DM today and she wants to interview me for part time position.
There is no immediate benefit that I see -- may be a hike in salary ( get paid $54/hr in MI with walmart).Or may be some fixed hours at stores close to my house.And the fact that I am just frustrated with my own DM for not placing me where she could have inspite of constant requests.

This is the first time I have heard from any chain or hospital in the past so many months that I have been trying to switch job.

What do you think guys .. is walgreens a better chain in any terms than walmart.. ( since i may still get only part time position at walgreens too..)

A

How far is the store where you can be a full-time pharmacist?

Members don't see this ad :)
Not much of a difference between the two in the grand scheme of things. Walgreens probably has a better benefits package/profit sharing, but I don't know for sure what Walmart offers in comparison. I do know that back in Orlando my old pharmacist left Walmart for Walgreens and is happy. But, so many store level variables come into play and you might got stuck in a hectic store and be miserable...or not. I just don't know if it's worth the risk for a not so much different working environment. Tough call.

Both them are about the same to me......

except in my area Walmarts do not have drive thrus....

therefore, that would make me pick Wally World.

Working at a drive through store at Walgreens is about the worst.

I left walgreens 6 months ago. One is heaven and the other is hell. Are you ready for drive thru stores, immunization, mtm, rx input, fill, and being a cashier? you'll not have help in terms of techs or cashiers. This is an insider story. Make your choice because the grass is never greener than what you see.

Guys,
There is no immediate benefit that I see -- may be a hike in salary ( get paid $54/hr in MI with walmart).Or may be some fixed hours at stores close to my house.And the fact that I am just frustrated with my own DM for not placing me where he could have inspite of constant requests.

A

What part of Michigan are you in?

Thanks everyone for your suggestions...appreciate all the advise.

In this economy, I'd be willing to drive an hour to secure a FT position, unless the particular store was a hell hole. Beggars can't be choosers.

But...have you talked to the Walgreens DM about the possibility of that PT work turning into FT work?

About an hour.

Is time and distance to work the only thing keeping you from taking this full-time positions? I'm just wondering, because I would take the full-time positions even if I had to drive an hour to get to work.

Lets see:

Walmart closes down for 30 minutes so you can eat.
Walgreens, you will be lucky to eat.

Walmart: no drive through.
Walgreens: Would you like fries or a drink with that?

Walmart: No flu shot
Walgreens: "Yes maam, I will be right right there to give you your flu shot once I finish these 5 waiters, answer a question in the consultation area, assist CVS with a transfer on Line 5, and answer a clinical question on Line 4.

Walmart: seems to have security and/or police inside as a presence to deter theft and crime.
Walgreens: Your DM on the phone, " One of our pharmacists heads just got blown off can you come fill in."

Walmart: Seems to be properly staffed
Walgreens: Don't know because I work for CVS but I can tell you that it is all too often that pharmacists are either left alone, greatly understaffed, or with staff that are new and have no idea how to do anything.

I work for CVS and CVS has a very high turnover rate when it comes to technicians. Hard to keep a good one because CVS pays so poorly. Techs get about 8/hr. That is a laughable rate.

Walgreens and CVS are the Burger King and Mcdonalds of the Retail Pharmacy Industry. Their niche is "fast". That is the only reason people take their prescriptions here over a Walmart or Target. Take away the "waiter" and CVS and Walgreens have nothing.

Not to mention everything at Walgreens and CVS is overpriced to hell. Even with your employee discount you can't beat walmarts regular prices.

You have to take a look at the price of stocks as well. When it comes down to retirement, longevity and strength of stock with be a factor of whether or not early retirement is an option for you. That is unless you want to be 65 years old and arguing with someone about why their co-pay is 9 dollars when they think it should only be 8.99, and now they want you to call their insurance and find out why.

As of today stocks are: Walmart 54.34, CVS 33.59, Walgreens 36.37,
Costco 71.02, Publix 25.00, Target 59.41, Rite Aid 0.92, Kroger 20.76

Ask for the turnover rate for pharmacists and technicians at these companies. Turnover rates speaks volumes.

I can only give you my opinion. I had the option of CVS, Walgreens, or Walmart. I believe I made a poor decision by not going to Walmart. CVS is an utter nightmare. Everyone wants to wait for their meds and if you tell them they cant wait for their medications they call and complain and say that you were rude to them. Phones ring off the hook all day long with about 90% being a complete waste of time. CVS (in the state I am in) just picked up government assistance programs that Walgreens and Walmart would no longer accept probably cause reimbursement rates suck, and rather than stick together with Walmart and Walgreens and attempt to increase these rates, CVS decided to bend over and hold their ankles.
So lucky you now gets an influx of medicaid patients that have the intelligence of blind Parakeets.

I have no idea about Walmart though, it could be, and probably is just as bad as the others, just doesnt seem so on the outside looking in.

Oh well that was one generously written response.I appreciate your time and effort you took to write!!! Thanks a ton.I agree to all you mentioned, considering I have worked in walmart and know these aspects you talked about.Also you are right about staffing.. walmart does give you good enough staff most of the time....which is quiet possibly the mst significant factor contibuting to work satisfaction in retail industry.
After much thought and suggestion from you all, I have decided to stick to walmart.

Just wondering should I go for Walgreen's interview , just out of courtesy or should I let it go?I have heard that Walgreen's usually does not interview you the second time if they have interviewed you once.And if for any reason I have to quit walmart in future,I this interview might defeat my chances.

Lets see:

Walmart closes down for 30 minutes so you can eat.
Walgreens, you will be lucky to eat.

Walmart: no drive through.
Walgreens: Would you like fries or a drink with that?

Walmart: No flu shot
Walgreens: "Yes maam, I will be right right there to give you your flu shot once I finish these 5 waiters, answer a question in the consultation area, assist CVS with a transfer on Line 5, and answer a clinical question on Line 4.

Walmart: seems to have security and/or police inside as a presence to deter theft and crime.
Walgreens: Your DM on the phone, " One of our pharmacists heads just got blown off can you come fill in."

Walmart: Seems to be properly staffed
Walgreens: Don't know because I work for CVS but I can tell you that it is all too often that pharmacists are either left alone, greatly understaffed, or with staff that are new and have no idea how to do anything.

I work for CVS and CVS has a very high turnover rate when it comes to technicians. Hard to keep a good one because CVS pays so poorly. Techs get about 8/hr. That is a laughable rate.

Walgreens and CVS are the Burger King and Mcdonalds of the Retail Pharmacy Industry. Their niche is "fast". That is the only reason people take their prescriptions here over a Walmart or Target. Take away the "waiter" and CVS and Walgreens have nothing.

Not to mention everything at Walgreens and CVS is overpriced to hell. Even with your employee discount you can't beat walmarts regular prices.

You have to take a look at the price of stocks as well. When it comes down to retirement, longevity and strength of stock with be a factor of whether or not early retirement is an option for you. That is unless you want to be 65 years old and arguing with someone about why their co-pay is 9 dollars when they think it should only be 8.99, and now they want you to call their insurance and find out why.

As of today stocks are: Walmart 54.34, CVS 33.59, Walgreens 36.37,
Costco 71.02, Publix 25.00, Target 59.41, Rite Aid 0.92, Kroger 20.76

Ask for the turnover rate for pharmacists and technicians at these companies. Turnover rates speaks volumes.

I can only give you my opinion. I had the option of CVS, Walgreens, or Walmart. I believe I made a poor decision by not going to Walmart. CVS is an utter nightmare. Everyone wants to wait for their meds and if you tell them they cant wait for their medications they call and complain and say that you were rude to them. Phones ring off the hook all day long with about 90% being a complete waste of time. CVS (in the state I am in) just picked up government assistance programs that Walgreens and Walmart would no longer accept probably cause reimbursement rates suck, and rather than stick together with Walmart and Walgreens and attempt to increase these rates, CVS decided to bend over and hold their ankles.
So lucky you now gets an influx of medicaid patients that have the intelligence of blind Parakeets.

I have no idea about Walmart though, it could be, and probably is just as bad as the others, just doesnt seem so on the outside looking in.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am glad my response was helpful to you. I am only speaking from my experience. Like I said, Walgreens and CVS are the bottom of the barrell when it comes to retail pharmacy. I would never recommend working in an atmosphere where "speed verifying" is the norm and acceptable. It is also acceptable to work 14 hour days with no break or time to eat. I would avoid CVS and Walgreens at all Costs. Stick with Walmart. When I applied with CVS they were building a new Walmart right down the street. I could have gotten a job with them but I had this perception that CVS was a better work atmosphere, BIG MISTAKE. Take it from me, CVS is a nightmare, literally a horrid nightmare. Managment sticks you with staff that are incompetent or they just don't staff you at all. They put unrealistic expectations on you for all these programs that have weird names like: AHSH SHS SKS IJI and BLAH BLAH BLAH. SOme people enjoy the abuse but take one look at these people who say, "I like it." They are tools and look like they played the triangle in the highschool band.

I am glad my response was helpful to you. I am only speaking from my experience. Like I said, Walgreens and CVS are the bottom of the barrell when it comes to retail pharmacy. I would never recommend working in an atmosphere where "speed verifying" is the norm and acceptable. It is also acceptable to work 14 hour days with no break or time to eat. I would avoid CVS and Walgreens at all Costs. Stick with Walmart. When I applied with CVS they were building a new Walmart right down the street. I could have gotten a job with them but I had this perception that CVS was a better work atmosphere, BIG MISTAKE. Take it from me, CVS is a nightmare, literally a horrid nightmare. Managment sticks you with staff that are incompetent or they just don't staff you at all. They put unrealistic expectations on you for all these programs that have weird names like: AHSH SHS SKS IJI and BLAH BLAH BLAH. SOme people enjoy the abuse but take one look at these people who say, "I like it." They are tools and look like they played the triangle in the highschool band.

How do they get away with not giving their employees a break or time to eat?

Walmart is very tolerable:) I actually like going to work most days:) YES! Choose Walmart!:thumbup:

Reactions: 1 user
How do they get away with not giving their employees a break or time to eat?

If you are a Tech or Intern you will get a break for lunch, but very very unlikely for Pharmacists. Unless by some miracle you have overlapping shifts or 2 pharmacists working the same time then possibly 1 can sneak off for some food. But, it's typically 8-12+ hours with no breaks. Have to bring a lunch box to work and be lucky for a couple bathroom breaks.

If you are a Tech or Intern you will get a break for lunch, but very very unlikely for Pharmacists. Unless by some miracle you have overlapping shifts or 2 pharmacists working the same time then possibly 1 can sneak off for some food. But, it's typically 8-12+ hours with no breaks. Have to bring a lunch box to work and be lucky for a couple bathroom breaks.

So is this something that pharmacists know before they sign the contract and accept it before their first day of work?

So is this something that pharmacists know before they sign the contract and accept it before their first day of work?

you dont need to LEAVE the pharmacy to get your calories. as a pharmacist plus whatever store discount you get, should be able to afford those nutritional drinks like ensure, etc. or eat a powerbar between sending out scripts.

i know i wouldnt mind drinking those things every day for lunch, they taste great and have good nutrients!

that said .. i'm looking for a job with at least an hour lunch. my first pharmacy employer (hospital chain) allowed 1 hr lunches and my second (nuclear) allowed 1.5 hr lunches. So it's not all bad out there people.

Last edited:
Regarding Walgreens and lunchbreaks, I've never worked at a store where the pharmacists didn't take at least a 30 minute break for lunch. With the exception of very slow stores with reduced hours (where finding the time to eat isn't a concern anyway) every store I've ever worked at always has at least 2 hours of pharmacist overlap for breaks.

Regarding Walgreens and lunchbreaks, I've never worked at a store where the pharmacists didn't take at least a 30 minute break for lunch. With the exception of very slow stores with reduced hours (where finding the time to eat isn't a concern anyway) every store I've ever worked at always has at least 2 hours of pharmacist overlap for breaks.

I guess it depends on the district/store. The majority of stores I've worked in have been rough for the pharmacists. But yes, many stores have the overlap necessary but it's not a guarantee from what I've seen. Which is just plain crazy and wrong.

I never had a break at Walgreens. I barely had time to go to the bathroom in 8 hours.

Have you asked if there are any overnight positions available with Walgreens?

I love being an overnight, retail pharmacist. It's a lot of 'behind the scenes' kind of work, which I enjoy.
Some people are afraid of working alone, but I prefer to fill a prescription from start to finish.
Breaks are a gimme, too. Around 2 and 3am, it's very quiet and quite relaxing.

Other than the actual job, I feel like I'm still a college kid, because every other week, I'm off for an entire week. :cool: At twenty-something with no kids, I can bum around and forget that I even work. :laugh:

Have you asked if there are any overnight positions available with Walgreens?

I love being an overnight, retail pharmacist. It's a lot of 'behind the scenes' kind of work, which I enjoy.
Some people are afraid of working alone, but I prefer to fill a prescription from start to finish.
Breaks are a gimme, too. Around 2 and 3am, it's very quiet and quite relaxing.

Other than the actual job, I feel like I'm still a college kid, because every other week, I'm off for an entire week. :cool: At twenty-something with no kids, I can bum around and forget that I even work. :laugh:

That is also when the crazies come in.................:scared:

Aside from getting robbed occasionally.. Graveyard is easy work.

Definitely not for everyone though... I don't think you can do it once you have a family

I also like to say I am working 26 weeks and off 26 weeks in a year :p

Last edited:
what is walmarts entry level pay for new grads