WAMC 2023-2024 App cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cantdobiochem

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Thank you so much for taking the time to read my thread, any advices are greatly appreciated!

Date of submission: Upcoming cycle 2023-24
Overall GPA:
Science GPA:
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
21AA 19 PAT 22TS [Bio 23, GC 22, OC, 22, PAT 19, QR 16, RC 22]

State of Residence: N/A [International Applicant]

Undergrad Attended:
USF
Major:
Biomedical Sciences
Minor: Psychology
Minority?
No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad?
No [Maybe? Graduated 2 years ago – working full time in a non-healthcare field since grad]

Shadowing Experience:
200+ hours [100 hours at 1 office and 20-30 hours at 3 others]

Volunteering Experience: 350+ hours [3 years at a cancer center, 1-year free dental clinic]
Employment: Operations Manager at an AI company [current], Housing Operations Assistant [3-years during undergrad]
Research: 150 hours [LGBTQ+ Mental Health research 2 pubs, 1 independent study dentistry related poster presented at undergrad conference]
Other Extracurriculars: No
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's List
LOR type and strength:
2 Strong letters [Research Supervisor, General Dentist], 3 Good letters [ 2 science profs, 1 non-science prof]
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:
N/A

School list:

My list is pretty long because I prioritized int. student acceptance and my stats when I made this list. Any schools I should add or remove?
  1. NYU
  2. NOVA **TOP CHOICE** - Lived in FL most of my life and have a ton of family support here
  3. Detroit Mercy
  4. Herman Ostrow
  5. U Minnesota
  6. Case Western
  7. Virginia Commonwealth
  8. U Nebraska
  9. U Maryland
  10. U New England
  11. Tufts
  12. Maurice Kornberg
  13. Creighton
  14. Loma Linda
  15. U Kentucky
  16. Western U
  17. Midwestern U
  18. Touro
Also considering adding Meharry and Howard

Additional questions/concerns:
1. I am aware my DAT score is not great for an international app. Should I re-take DAT this cycle or will it be alright to try with my current score?
2. Should I even submit my application this cycle or are there areas that should clearly be improved?

Please be brutally honest and help me save dabloons $$$. Thank you so much for your time and input, I really appreciated it 💕

Members don't see this ad.

List seems fine. I’m not completely sure how many schools you need to apply to. 18 may be overkill, you could maybe scrape by with 15, but I’m not the most familiar with international applicants so don’t take my word for it. But if you have the funds might as well if it a solid go to have options.

- double check your prerequisites and letters meet all school expectations.
5 letters is over the 4 maximum. I would suggest dropping either the dentist letter or non science. Usually a combo of 2 sci, a supervisor and a non science should encompass most schools. But do your research. If 1-3 schools require a different combo, just have that Letter writer send it independently, schools usually accept more than 5, but must receive it from recipient. AADSAS only allows for 4 unfortunately.

Only thing that really stands out is the 19-PAT. What do you plan on saying for your manual dexterity skills? You may be able to make up for the score with that.

NYU/USC will be very expensive. Keep that in mind. As an international student you’d have to have the funds readily available, you won’t be able to take US loans unless you have someone willing to co-sign for you on a private loan who lives in US, or if you’re a US citizen. Which means you’ll need to front 1/2 the total tuition up front, depending on school policy some are different, but that could be - (>300k due before attending) or have plans already in check for paying if you’re using loans from home. So just keep that on back burner. It sucks but it’s a reality check and the cost of going to US schools as an international student.

Otherwise it seems like your app is solid. Do you have plans on how you’ll describe “why dentistry?” Since you’ve been in a different industry for a little while, it’ll be good to get some practice in for the interviews.

Good luck!

Can you apply to USF as an international student? I'm guessing you aren't able to, same with LECOM?

Members don't see this ad :)
List seems fine. I’m not completely sure how many schools you need to apply to. 18 may be overkill, you could maybe scrape by with 15, but I’m not the most familiar with international applicants so don’t take my word for it. But if you have the funds might as well if it a solid go to have options.

- double check your prerequisites and letters meet all school expectations.
5 letters is over the 4 maximum. I would suggest dropping either the dentist letter or non science. Usually a combo of 2 sci, a supervisor and a non science should encompass most schools. But do your research. If 1-3 schools require a different combo, just have that Letter writer send it independently, schools usually accept more than 5, but must receive it from recipient. AADSAS only allows for 4 unfortunately.

Only thing that really stands out is the 19-PAT. What do you plan on saying for your manual dexterity skills? You may be able to make up for the score with that.

NYU/USC will be very expensive. Keep that in mind. As an international student you’d have to have the funds readily available, you won’t be able to take US loans unless you have someone willing to co-sign for you on a private loan who lives in US, or if you’re a US citizen. Which means you’ll need to front 1/2 the total tuition up front, depending on school policy some are different, but that could be - (>300k due before attending) or have plans already in check for paying if you’re using loans from home. So just keep that on back burner. It sucks but it’s a reality check and the cost of going to US schools as an international student.

Otherwise it seems like your app is solid. Do you have plans on how you’ll describe “why dentistry?” Since you’ve been in a different industry for a little while, it’ll be good to get some practice in for the interviews.

Good luck!
I had considered re-taking DAT to improve my PAT and QR scores but I opted against it because I was not confident that scores in the other sections would stay the same. This is probably super cliché but I’ve run a small crochet business since 2018 that donates 100% of its proceeds to ADAA [changes every 4 months to support other mental health research orgs]. That was going to be my main pull for manual dexterity and also that I have dabbled with business a little bit.

I have been volunteering at a free dental clinic, completed 2 dental externships, and shadowed [40ish hours] since graduating to show my continued interest in dentistry. I wish I could’ve worked as a DA or dental receptionist, but I can’t do that because of work permit restrictions.

My sister and/dad [US citizens] have offered to co-sign when the time comes, and I am super grateful that my family is supportive. I did not know about the paying ½ the tuition upfront though, so I’ll definitely need to figure that out.

Let me know if any of these sound like a flimsy excuse and I will brainstorm on how to improve!

Reactions: 1 user
Can you apply to USF as an international student? I'm guessing you aren't able to, same with LECOM?
I believe USF does not have a dental program :( UF, LECOM, and NOVA are the only 3 dental schools in FL and only NOVA accepts intl. applicants

I believe USF does not have a dental program :( UF, LECOM, and NOVA are the only 3 dental schools in FL and only NOVA accepts intl. applicants
Sorry yes, I meant UF* not USF. Gotcha, that's unfortunate, but at least NOVA accepts international!

I had considered re-taking DAT to improve my PAT and QR scores but I opted against it because I was not confident that scores in the other sections would stay the same. This is probably super cliché but I’ve run a small crochet business since 2018 that donates 100% of its proceeds to ADAA [changes every 4 months to support other mental health research orgs]. That was going to be my main pull for manual dexterity and also that I have dabbled with business a little bit.

I have been volunteering at a free dental clinic, completed 2 dental externships, and shadowed [40ish hours] since graduating to show my continued interest in dentistry. I wish I could’ve worked as a DA or dental receptionist, but I can’t do that because of work permit restrictions.

My sister and/dad [US citizens] have offered to co-sign when the time comes, and I am super grateful that my family is supportive. I did not know about the paying ½ the tuition upfront though, so I’ll definitely need to figure that out.

Let me know if any of these sound like a flimsy excuse and I will brainstorm on how to improve!
It will depend on the school with how they do their finances. The 1/2 up front is most extreme, but just something to be aware of. The crochet business sounds like a good idea, maybe show them some stuff during the interview if it ever comes up.

Otherwise to me it seems like a good app, just apply early to put yourself with the best possible chances

I think the ADEA GoDental Virtual Fair is coming up. It may be good for you to network with schools on your wishlist to get the assurance they consider and matriculate international applicants.

Last edited:
I think the ADEA GoDental Virtual Fair is coming it. It may be good for you to network with schools on your wishlist to get the assurance they consider and matriculate international applicants.
Will check it out. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.