WAMC 2024-2025 Cycle: need advise with the my school lists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Badelier

Reaction score
Date of submission: Probably 6/1
Overall GPA:3.74
Science GPA:3.60
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
PAT 28
QR 23
RC 22
Bio 25
GC 26
OC 26
TS 26
AA 24
State of Residence: NY
Major: Bio Bs
Reapplicant: No
Shadowing Experience: ~100 hrs shadowing(general dentist)
Volunteering Experience: ~100 hours cat shelter, 500 hours helping middle school student
Employment: 400 hours DA
Research: 1500 hrs+, biochem lab, no pub, one poster
Other Extracurriculars:
Pre-dental club
Badminton club
Dean’s list
Relevant Honors or Awards:
1 poster? World robotics competition? I don’t know if this counts
LOR type and strength:
1 from OC professor, average
1 from Lab Boss, not sure the strength
1 from dentist, strong
School list:
Buffalo
Stony Brook
NYU
BU
USC
Rutgers
Temple
Touro
UPenn

Members don't see this ad.

Date of submission: Probably 6/1
Overall GPA:3.74
Science GPA:3.60
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
PAT 28
QR 23
RC 22
Bio 25
GC 26
OC 26
TS 26
AA 24
State of Residence: NY
Major: Bio Bs
Reapplicant: No
Shadowing Experience: ~100 hrs shadowing(general dentist)
Volunteering Experience: ~100 hours cat shelter, 500 hours helping middle school student
Employment: 400 hours DA
Research: 1500 hrs+, biochem lab, no pub, one poster
Other Extracurriculars:
Pre-dental club
Badminton club
Dean’s list
Relevant Honors or Awards:
1 poster? World robotics competition? I don’t know if this counts
LOR type and strength:
1 from OC professor, average
1 from Lab Boss, not sure the strength
1 from dentist, strong
School list:
Buffalo
Stony Brook
NYU
BU
USC
Rutgers
Temple
Touro
UPenn
please remove NYU, USC, and Touro...

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably want to attend a cheaper school
Minority? Yes/No- Asians are NOT a minority
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? networking, volunteering in a D-school clinic, shadow faculty, etc.

If you're wanting to attend a cheaper school, definitely follow @macsak and remove NYU, USC, and/or Touro.

Why no stony brook? Maryland could be a good option, Louiseville is on the cheaper side for OOS private schools. Right now the only "cheap" schools on your list are Rutgers and Buffalo....

Reactions: 2 users
If you're wanting to attend a cheaper school, definitely follow @macsak and remove NYU, USC, and/or Touro.

Why no stony brook? Maryland could be a good option, Louiseville is on the cheaper side for OOS private schools. Right now the only "cheap" schools on your list are Rutgers and Buffalo....
stony brook is on there, ill add Maryland

I was thinking NYU as a safe school, feels nervous and is afraid that no school accepting me :cryi:

I would be happy for you the day you turn an offer from NYU down to go to a cheaper place. ;) But first, the "community service" activities...?
Thank you so much!! I still have some questions. Should I focusing on shadowing dentists instead of doing dental assistant? Also, the cat shelter that I volunteer in is like a local clinic that saves homeless cats and dogs. Would that count as community service?
If I start doing soup kitchen now, would I still have time to do it in the summer after my submission?

Would it help if my undergrad is in Stony Brook? I have it on my list. Stony Brook and Buffalo are my top 1 and 2. However, I am scared that my stats are not good enough to get in those two.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would be happy for you the day you turn an offer from NYU down to go to a cheaper place. ;) But first, the "community service" activities...?
Also, Do you have some suggestion that can be like "safer" school that I can add or substitute in my list. And what could I still do to increase my chances to get in Stony Brook. Thank you so much Mr.Smile12!!!

Also, Do you have some suggestion that can be like "safer" school that I can add or substitute in my list. And what could I still do to increase my chances to get in Stony Brook. Thank you so much Mr.Smile12!!!
Subject to other opinion, your DAT (24/28) should interest other schools. I'm looking at UConn, for example, which has a cheaper OOS tuition rate than NYU and presumably has over half of its class filled with OOS students. Still have to search.

Going to the same undergrad as a dental school has its benefits, but not in the admissions process necessarily.

Thank you so much!! I still have some questions. Should I focusing on shadowing dentists instead of doing dental assistant? Also, the cat shelter that I volunteer in is like a local clinic that saves homeless cats and dogs. Would that count as community service?
If I start doing soup kitchen now, would I still have time to do it in the summer after my submission?
I'm a supporter on the rescue pet side of things, but most people want to be sure you can deal with humans in need. Maybe look for something that gives you more time connecting a human with a rescue pet.

I've had many advisees who did therapeutic riding (horses) especially for neurodiverse younger patients. The response for that in admissions varied even though it has more relevance for humans too.

Minority? Yes/No- Asians are NOT a minority
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? networking, volunteering in a D-school clinic, shadow faculty, etc.
please answer...

I'm a supporter on the rescue pet side of things, but most people want to be sure you can deal with humans in need. Maybe look for something that gives you more time connecting a human with a rescue pet.

I've had many advisees who did therapeutic riding (horses) especially for neurodiverse younger patients. The response for that in admissions varied even though it has more relevance for humans too.
Okay, Ill try to engage in volunteers that are more involved with human, thank you for your advice!

Reactions: 1 user
not minority, just Asia. and never had a chance to volunteer at any dental school
you go to stony brook, but you've never participated in any events at the dental school?
the pre-dental club didn't have any interaction with faculty/students/staff there?

you go to stony brook, but you've never participated in any events at the dental school?
the pre-dental club didn't have any interaction with faculty/students/staff there?
oh I thought the club events don't counts